• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2023/2024 Upland Hunting Thread

Ok it is time.

I am beginning my search for a new field bred english springer spaniel (or 2) If anyone has any good leads for any pups locally it would be greatly appreciated!

Ok it is time.

I am beginning my search for a new field bred english springer spaniel (or 2) If anyone has any good leads for any pups locally it would be greatly appreciated!

Meet Koda. I flew down to Jacksonville Fla on Saturday to pick him up. He slept on my chest the whole flight back. So nice to have a dog back in the house. Now the training begins!

Attachments

• 20231223_171912.jpg
    20231223_171912.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20231223_184709.jpg
    20231223_184709.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231224_000610.jpg
    20231224_000610.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • 20231224_000706.jpg
    20231224_000706.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231225_103838.jpg
    20231225_103838.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231225_134754.jpg
    20231225_134754.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231225_135235.jpg
    20231225_135235.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 13
Meet Koda. I flew down to Jacksonville Fla on Saturday to pick him up. He slept on my chest the whole flight back. So nice to have a dog back in the house. Now the training begins

Do you want some pheasant wings? I should get a few more birds between now and the end of Feb.

Some days hunting are just about perfect.

Went on a preserve hunt with my older hunting buddy and his grandson. My dad has been gone many years, so this is about as close to a 3 generation hunt that I'm going to get. Beautiful, sunny day in the W. Mass foothills. We took 5 pheasants and 5 chukars. Lots of nice points from their GSP and some decent shots mostly at distance. We did get a couple of surprise very close in shots, but thankfully I was able to make them head shots and not destroy the meat. One wily rooster that involved a lot of hiking to hunt down went 3.2 lbs, which is pretty good size.

Went on a preserve hunt earlier this week at Markover and had a great time. Shot a bunch of birds. The high winds made it tough on the dog to locate them but we worked through it. I was using my new CZ Drake O/U in 20g that I purchased last year during a great sale. Was shooting #6 1 oz shells. It was nice to carry a gun that was so light for hours .
Does anyone have any experience at Addiville? Thinking about trying it out there.

Went on a preserve hunt earlier this week at Markover and had a great time. Shot a bunch of birds. The high winds made it tough on the dog to locate them but we worked through it. I was using my new CZ Drake O/U in 20g that I purchased last year during a great sale. Was shooting #6 1 oz shells. It was nice to carry a gun that was so light for hours .
Does anyone have any experience at Addiville? Thinking about trying it out there.
I haven't been to Markover in about 15 years, how much are they charging per bird now? Last time I was there they were $23.00/ bird.
Never been to Addiville so I can't help you there, sorry!

Ive been to both places, although I havent been to Markover in a long time. I like Markover more than Addieville. The cover and terrain always felt more like natural uplands. I think the shooting can be a little more challenging there due to the mix of cover and terrain. Addieville seems like the cover is more uniform throughout the preserve. Larger fields of heavy grass is the norm. If the birds get into the woods its challenging though. I think either is fine, just depends on what you prefer cover wise.

Springfield Sportsman's has an affiliated preserve, 'Moon Mountain'. Preserve — Springfield Sportsman's Club . I have been visiting with a friend a couple seasons and joined the preserve this last season. It's in Monson, MA.

Pheasant, chukar, and bobwhite are available. This is a relatively small and laid back operation, but Ron does a great job with the birds and can be available as a guide and/or provide a dog. There are several open fields with mixed cover and of course a lot of woods. Thankfully the woods are fairly open and not choked up with heavy undergrowth. You'll be hiking up and down some elevation, as you would guess by the name. Quality of the birds is great.

3 of us did Addieville week before last before I went on my cruise. Got most of the birds, few made it to the swamp and both guys dogs didn't like the ice.....miss my GSP.....she was a hard charger that didn't give a crap about that if there was a bird in there, she would crash thru it not give a shit.

Last hunt for the season though for me, I've killed a shit ton of birds this year..........will shoot some Sporting Clays there next time, and can't wait til steak and clays starts up.

Addieville has very varied terrain.......we hunted field 4 I think, and there is a lot of swamp around those........we probably should have hunted higher ground, like the fields above the bird pens, if I knew the dogs didn't like swamp ice.

Last edited:
Springfield Sportsman's has an affiliated preserve, 'Moon Mountain'. Preserve — Springfield Sportsman's Club . I have been visiting with a friend a couple seasons and joined the preserve this last season. It's in Monson, MA.

Pheasant, chukar, and bobwhite are available. This is a relatively small and laid back operation, but Ron does a great job with the birds and can be available as a guide and/or provide a dog. There are several open fields with mixed cover and of course a lot of woods. Thankfully the woods are fairly open and not choked up with heavy undergrowth. You'll be hiking up and down some elevation, as you would guess by the name. Quality of the birds is great.
Swift river in belchertown also has a preserve. I am a member there. Used to be a member at Springfield. Both clubs are great however I like the preserve terrain much more at swift river hence why I switched.

Back
Top Bottom