Yet again another "hunter" messing with my gear

My trail cams can be locked. Did you have locks on your trail cams or just locked them to the tree? I got the cable locks so I can lock the unit to the tree and then also pad locks so I can keep the card and control panel from being tampered with....

Wondering what security you had for yours?

Last edited:
Since I am not a hunter this may sound like a stupid question to most.
Is it ok to go onto someones private land to hunt as long as it isn't posted as no trespassing or no hunting. If so and it is posted what are the ramifications.
Just curious.

Since I am not a hunter this may sound like a stupid question to most.
Is it ok to go onto someones private land to hunt as long as it isn't posted as no trespassing or no hunting. If so and it is posted what are the ramifications.
Just curious.

If it's not posted, you are allowed to unless you are asked to leave. If it's posted you are trespassing and could get a summons for trespassing.

If it's not posted, you are allowed to unless you are asked to leave. If it's posted you are trespassing and could get a summons for trespassing.
Thanks, just seems backwards. If I owned a chunk of property I would think someone would need to ask to use it or they would be trespassing.

Thanks, just seems backwards. If I owned a chunk of property I would think someone would need to ask to use it or they would be trespassing.

Not in New England, personally if it's like a house lot with acreage I'll try to ask permission. If it's a remote piece of woods and I'm not bothering anyone I might hunt it. Most of the woods I hunt are corporate land or "investment" land.

the problem with hunters and land owners is there is always a couple of guys who ruin it for everybody. I had 120 acres up in maine i was fine with people hunting on it until a couple of ahole's started smashing thier beer bottles and leaving piles of bones in my camp. so i posted no trespassing sings with my phone# asking people to check in before hunting. I only wanted to tell them to pick up after them selves so they shot up all the signs robbed and burned my camp. i had numerous conversations with maine warden service and local police dept. not much could be done so i sold the property.

the problem with hunters and land owners is there is always a couple of guys who ruin it for everybody. I had 120 acres up in maine i was fine with people hunting on it until a couple of ahole's started smashing thier beer bottles and leaving piles of bones in my camp. so i posted no trespassing sings with my phone# asking people to check in before hunting. I only wanted to tell them to pick up after them selves so they shot up all the signs robbed and burned my camp. i had numerous conversations with maine warden service and local police dept. not much could be done so i sold the property.

I'll be honest, being from Maine I know plenty of people with that mentality. Basically, people "from away" coming up, buying all the land, inflating the prices of land then posting it to create private little hunting preserves. People that have been hunting that open land for generations get pissed when that happens. Not saying damaging someone's property is right and I always avoid posted land even if it's stuff I've hunted for decades but it is frustrating. I had a spot I've hunted for 20 years, shot the biggest buck of my life a couple years ago there. It was sold off as one of 4 pieces of a huge chunk of woods about 3 months ago. Showed up on my first day hunting and it was all posted, 160 acres gone. Now even if the other 300 acres stays open access the deer will mostly head to that 160 acres once hunting season starts.

I understand, property rights, freedom, etc. etc. But people react emotionally when something that "was theirs" in their mind gets taken away by some "foreigner".

I'll be honest, being from Maine I know plenty of people with that mentality. Basically, people "from away" coming up, buying all the land, inflating the prices of land then posting it to create private little hunting preserves. People that have been hunting that open land for generations get pissed when that happens. Not saying damaging someone's property is right and I always avoid posted land even if it's stuff I've hunted for decades but it is frustrating. I had a spot I've hunted for 20 years, shot the biggest buck of my life a couple years ago there. It was sold off as one of 4 pieces of a huge chunk of woods about 3 months ago. Showed up on my first day hunting and it was all posted, 160 acres gone. Now even if the other 300 acres stays open access the deer will mostly head to that 160 acres once hunting season starts.

I understand, property rights, freedom, etc. etc. But people react emotionally when something that "was theirs" in their mind gets taken away by some "foreigner".

thats pretty much what i figured. I never used the land for hunting just getting away from the wife in the summer. I was fine with people using it until my dog needed stitches in their feet and i spent a week picking up glass on my vacation. burning down my camp and using the property as their personal dumping grounds for trash was my last straw.

It's the same way in MN.

thats pretty much what i figured. I never used the land for hunting just getting away from the wife in the summer. I was fine with people using it until my dog needed stitches in their feet and i spent a week picking up glass on my vacation. burning down my camp and using the property as their personal dumping grounds for trash was my last straw.

Understood, it's hard to not have people take advantage when you aren't able to enforce good manners. It's a shame people have to be *******s, a lot of time it's teens with regards to trash and non-permitted fires and such. The bones was likely a douche bag hunter with no respect.

If you ever try it again if you can make friends with some people in the area, maybe get some decent hunters as pals and let them hunt the land if they help you keep an eye on it something like that might help. Hard to build those relationships though.

You would be surprised of how many of those that do that damage are not "From Away". Lots of those natives resent "Flat Lander" absentee land owners.

you would think they would welcome them. I paid property taxes and used none of the services, basically free money to the town.

I don't get that attitude or why people are such pricks. It's not like they can't buy the land themselves... If they don't hold a deed then it was never "theirs". They were borrowing and it was at the good grace of others. So then they trash what others are gracious enough to let them make use of - and then get pissed when it's posted as result of their ass-hat behavior. Maybe if they were just a bit respectful.

Sorry to hear about your cameras and/or SD cards.

I don't know about you guys, but i've seen my fair share of others cameras when I was scouting/hunting and 99-100% of the time it's the strap around the tree that gives it away. Try alternative methods of mounting (rebar, etc) to better conceal the camera & mounting strap.

That being said, if you take someone elses camera regardless of the property its on your a sh*tbag. How would you feel if someone stole your cameras/SD cards? More than likely they can't answer that question because they actually never bought their own, they steal em.

Best defense is a good offense in this case. Having your camera in a guys backyard or in heavily a heavily trafficked area is a good way to offer it up to a would-be scumbag.

I don't get that attitude or why people are such pricks. It's not like they can't buy the land themselves... If they don't hold a deed then it was never "theirs". They were borrowing and it was at the good grace of others. So then they trash what others are gracious enough to let them make use of - and then get pissed when it's posted as result of their ass-hat behavior. Maybe if they were just a bit respectful.

People get complacent, they have a sense of ownership about it having used the land for so long. I don't get the being *******s and ruining the land part but I can understand the feeling of somewhat ownership after respectful use of the land for decades. Also, most pieces of land that large are way outside of what most Maine people could afford in their lifetime. That's where the resentment comes in, and yes, it comes down to life choices, if they moved to MA and became a union carpenter instead of a non-union sub in Maine they might be able to afford it. However they look at it as the people "from away" bringing all their city money, buying up all the land and not allowing the locals to use it after they have been for decades. That's bound to breed some resentment, the piece I was talking about earlier that I've been hunting for over 20 years got bought by a guy from NH. He immediately posted it all and leveled like 4 acres to build his dream vacation home and private hunting preserve. It sucks, and I was disappointed, I'm not going to damage it and maybe I'll ask if he'll let me hunt the spot once he gets settled but I was pretty annoyed when I found it.

While I believe the behavior of shitting on other peoples land is indefensible you should try to understand why someone can have a mentality that they do. It helps in generating an argument against it.

People get complacent, they have a sense of ownership about it having used the land for so long. I don't get the being *******s and ruining the land part but I can understand the feeling of somewhat ownership after respectful use of the land for decades. Also, most pieces of land that large are way outside of what most Maine people could afford in their lifetime. That's where the resentment comes in, and yes, it comes down to life choices, if they moved to MA and became a union carpenter instead of a non-union sub in Maine they might be able to afford it. However they look at it as the people "from away" bringing all their city money, buying up all the land and not allowing the locals to use it after they have been for decades. That's bound to breed some resentment, the piece I was talking about earlier that I've been hunting for over 20 years got bought by a guy from NH. He immediately posted it all and leveled like 4 acres to build his dream vacation home and private hunting preserve. It sucks, and I was disappointed, I'm not going to damage it and maybe I'll ask if he'll let me hunt the spot once he gets settled but I was pretty annoyed when I found it.

While I believe the behavior of shitting on other peoples land is indefensible you should try to understand why someone can have a mentality that they do. It helps in generating an argument against it.

Sorry - can't empathize. If some of the locals don't like the "foreigners" buying land - I wonder how much they would like it when their schools go to shit and their roads aren't repaired because they lack the tax revenue. I wonder how much they would like their tax bill when their communities have to get by minus the revenue from "foreigners". I'm sorry - but I can't empathize with that level of self entitlement. Can't have your cake and eat it too... No one is entitled to access land that they don't own, didn't pay for, don't pay taxes on while yet enjoying the benefits of that tax revenue in the form of municipal services.
Would it be sad to lose access to a piece of land... Sure. But don't resent the property owner for it. Be thankful for the time you had and move on.

...I'm not trying to sound like an ass hole here. But such people with such an attitude spend far too much time resenting others for what they have when it could be better spent on improving their own lives to acquire what they want.

Last edited:
Would it be sad to lose access to a piece of land... Sure. But don't resent the property owner for it. Be thankful for the time you had and move on.

You're giving your average American too much faith. You'd be shocked at what the "Woods living Locals" do to non-resident land and cabin owners in some areas. It's pretty sickening.

You're giving your average American too much faith. You'd be shocked at what the "Woods living Locals" do to non-resident land and cabin owners in some areas. It's pretty sickening.

I sense some stories forthcoming...? Perhaps in a thread of their own?

Sorry - can't empathize. If some of the locals don't like the "foreigners" buying land - I wonder how much they would like it when their schools go to shit and their roads aren't repaired because they lack the tax revenue. I wonder how much they would like their tax bill when their communities have to get by minus the revenue from "foreigners". I'm sorry - but I can't empathize with that level of self entitlement. Can't have your cake and eat it too... No one is entitled to access land that they don't own, didn't pay for, don't pay taxes on while yet enjoying the benefits of that tax revenue in the form of municipal services.

...I'm not trying to sound like an ass hole here. But such people with such an attitude spend far too much time resenting others for what they have when it could be better spent on improving their own lives to acquire what they want.

You realize acreage contributes next to nothing to town taxes right? I think the 160 acres I was talking about in Maine has a tax bill of like $960/year. You could have a 1 bedroom ranch on 1/2 acre and pay more taxes.

That being said, empathy for your opponents position is critical in forming a solid argument and being about to be persuasive. That goes for any subject, taking a stance of "well you don't own it so it's stupid to be upset when you're not allowed to use it anymore, if you wanted it you should have raised the $150k and bought it yourself lowlife scum" doesn't really lead to a good conversation. It's the same attitude the brady bunch use against us, "nobody could ever need a gun, if nobody had any guns nobody would ever die".

What ends up happening in these situations is the decent people that used to hunt the land get pissy and vote for "anti-foreigner" laws (stuff like view taxes and crap). Not so decent people that used to hunt the land burn peoples camps down, make a mess of their land, steal their tree stands and trail cams. If you have a concept of why people get so upset and work to mitigate it maybe everyone lives together in a bit more peace. Personally I would have a lot more appreciation if the land was posted as "permission only, please call ###". If the land owner allowed 5 people or 10 people to hunt his land if the provided name/vehicle information etc. Then asked them to keep an eye out for bad stuff it would tend to make a stronger relationship and people would likely view "Sorry, I already allowed 10 people this year, but next year give me a call" a lot better than "**** you, I'm making a hunting preserve stay the **** off".

That's all I'm saying, know thy opponent, arguing theory is all well and good until some pissed off townie burns your damn camp down.

ETA: Yes, it's effectively "terrorism" if we want to use modern terms, but if the choice is between being morally superior next to your burned out rubble, or working with your neighbors to have a good relationship and keep your stuff safe. Personally, I would choose to try and find a good middle ground.

Last edited:
That's all I'm saying, know thy opponent, arguing theory is all well and good until some pissed off townie burns your damn camp down.

ETA: Yes, it's effectively "terrorism" if we want to use modern terms, but if the choice is between being morally superior next to your burned out rubble, or working with your neighbors to have a good relationship and keep your stuff safe. Personally, I would choose to try and find a good middle ground.
I'm confused. I'm on NES right? Since when did legal property owners need to justify their decision to post their land or fear the wrath and damage of now spiteful trespassers. To me it seems that some people feel way to entitled to someone else's property [posted or otherwise].

I sense some stories forthcoming...? Perhaps in a thread of their own?

I have heard some stories, they don't like us "flatlanders" up there. A friend of mine has a couple of places up there, but has been accepted by the Northern folk. He has been going up there since he was a kid and now he and his wife have a home there that they go to almost every weekend and know everyone from the area, from going out to the local bars and snowmobiling with all of them for years . He told me it is very rare for them to accept a "flatlander" up there and they will still jokingly call him a flatlander because he has a home and works in MA. But they even keep a watch on his home while he is not there to make sure all is OK.

I'm confused. I'm on NES right? Since when did legal property owners need to justify their decision to post their land or fear the wrath and damage of now spiteful trespassers. To me it seems that some people feel way to entitled to someone else's property [posted or otherwise].

Did you even read what I wrote? What I said is go ahead and be an ******* to the locals, and in their eyes posting their age old hunting spot is being an *******. But do so at your own risk, what good does being morally superior when somebody that will _NEVER_ get caught burned all your hard work to the ground? Legally you can do whatever the **** you want to your land, however being a douche bag to the locals may have severe consequences.

Did you even read what I wrote? What I said is go ahead and be an ******* to the locals, and in their eyes posting their age old hunting spot is being an *******. But do so at your own risk, what good does being morally superior when somebody that will _NEVER_ get caught burned all your hard work to the ground? Legally you can do whatever the **** you want to your land, however being a douche bag to the locals may have severe consequences.

I did not see the two statements as contradictory. One is a reminder that locals may see posting as an @sshole move and may retaliate. The other is a complaint regarding people feeling entitled to access on land they don't own. IMO both situations are true, and suck...

Back of my property abuts miles of conservation land and has a productive game trail cutting through. I know hunters come through and have tolerated that since I have lived here. Occasionally I had to go out and give a friendly reminder that they are too close to the house and please don't shoot towards the house regardless. They always have some BS story that tempts me to laugh- usually starts with "I have been hunting this land for X years...". Until now I wished them luck and asked them to just let me know when they will be on my property. Seems fair? I've yet to have someone ask but have seen a few of them on my game cam. Now that my game cam was stolen & I will be picking up broken glass today (must be a pattern OP?), I will also be posting my property lines.

It's America, 90% of the population feels entitled to other people's stuff.

Some areas are fine and the locals are great, other areas are literal nightmares for non-resident property owners.

Entitlement was exactly what my interpretation was as well. This has given me thought for part C of my retirement plans... Hmmm.

I set out some old non working cams I bought at a yard sale, screw them if they take them. I also have my good ones locked in the case they find them (wont stop everyone but the ocassional ahole it will ) finally I have sound a few strategically placed deterrents help and I will leave it at that.

Back
Top Bottom