Yet again another "hunter" messing with my gear

Crossbow hunters are generally huge pieces of shit in my experience, fat slobs, usually on disability, too lazy to pull a string back, but still want access to early season. This coming from a rifle only "hunter."

I'll be honest, being from Maine I know plenty of people with that mentality. Basically, people "from away" coming up, buying all the land, inflating the prices of land then posting it to create private little hunting preserves. People that have been hunting that open land for generations get pissed when that happens. Not saying damaging someone's property is right and I always avoid posted land even if it's stuff I've hunted for decades but it is frustrating. I had a spot I've hunted for 20 years, shot the biggest buck of my life a couple years ago there. It was sold off as one of 4 pieces of a huge chunk of woods about 3 months ago. Showed up on my first day hunting and it was all posted, 160 acres gone. Now even if the other 300 acres stays open access the deer will mostly head to that 160 acres once hunting season starts.

I understand, property rights, freedom, etc. etc. But people react emotionally when something that "was theirs" in their mind gets taken away by some "foreigner".

Simple: Buy the land and then you can open it up for shitbags to trash! If I buy a chunk of land (inflating the value), I can do ANYTHING I want as far as posting it, Bernie Sanders. I bought a 123 ac sandpit in Epping NH years ago, had a bunch of 'Brookers" that thought they owned the place, because they had hunted and poached the land for years. They would cut thru the abuting homes yards to access it, and give crap to the homeowners. Gave me great pleasue to post the crap out of it, give a key and permission to trap on it to the local game warden. The one time a hunter actually called me and asked permission to hunt it, I had no problem giving it to him. Cleaned up the vermin.

- - - Updated - - -

Crossbow hunters are generally huge pieces of shit in my experience, fat slobs, usually on disability, too lazy to pull a string back, but still want access to early season. This coming from a rifle only "hunter."

You never watched the Walking Dead?

Simple: Buy the land and then you can open it up for shitbags to trash! If I buy a chunk of land (inflating the value), I can do ANYTHING I want as far as posting it, Bernie Sanders. I bought a 123 ac sandpit in Epping NH years ago, had a bunch of 'Brookers" that thought they owned the place, because they had hunted and poached the land for years. They would cut thru the abuting homes yards to access it, and give crap to the homeowners. Gave me great pleasue to post the crap out of it, give a key and permission to trap on it to the local game warden. The one time a hunter actually called me and asked permission to hunt it, I had no problem giving it to him. Cleaned up the vermin.

That's brilliant!!!

- - - Updated - - -

The law permits a "Foothold Snare" which is a cable, not a Steel Jaw Foothold Trap as pictured. They are different, If you are not aware of that, you are now.

This the snare:

Black Bear Trapping Tips

The Aldrich-style cable foot snare has been used for many years by recreational and research trappers to safely restrain bears. There are many variations of this type of foot snare, and many ways to use it effectively. The following may be helpful in ensuring a safe and successful bear snaring experience. In Maine, about 20% of trappers are successful harvesting a black bear each fall.

snare components

Okay then. Looks like it's the punji stick then...

You all don't like us up here too much, do you.

a41fe0477759f130d188ee3f1df7c201.jpg

Winter is coming .....

Maine is my favorite place in the world to be. I love it up there. The land is beautiful and when you can get away from the tourist trap areas there are beautiful lakes where I love to camp in the western mountains. Most of the people I've met up there are lovely. I dream about owning property up there. But I hear nightmares about yocals effen up people's property. I would love to own some acreage and put a trailer on it. Nice little camp. But I worry about going up there and finding my trailer gone, burned out, land trashed, etc.

Maine is my favorite place in the world to be. I love it up there. The land is beautiful and when you can get away from the tourist trap areas there are beautiful lakes where I love to camp in the western mountains. Most of the people I've met up there are lovely. I dream about owning property up there. But I hear nightmares about yocals effen up people's property. I would love to own some acreage and put a trailer on it. Nice little camp. But I worry about going up there and finding my trailer gone, burned out, land trashed, etc.

Those stories are like the stories about Glocks or AR's blowing up: yeah, it has probably happened, but not enough to deter me from buying one.

I've got 60 acres of my own on 2 different parcels. I don't need yours.

lol I wasn't attacking you by any means. Some of us are trusting, some of us are paranoid, and some of us are just trying to be realistic and protect their stuff. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

lol I wasn't attacking you by any means. Some of us are trusting, some of us are paranoid, and some of us are just trying to be realistic and protect their stuff. Sometimes it's hard to tell.
Sorry, I didn't take it that way (attacking me). I am stingy with emoticons and probably should have out a lol or something at the end of it.
Of maybe I'm just grumpy because my inlaws are spending the day here today.

Those stories are like the stories about Glocks or AR's blowing up: yeah, it has probably happened, but not enough to deter me from buying one.

This, I'd say it's a special set of circumstances that causes a mess. First someone from "away" buys 60+ acres, second it's been open to hunting for years, third the people that hunted it live near by, fourth you immediately post the land, fifth you put a camp on it and only come up one week a year.

Those are the situations I've seen, there are some locals I know of who are "unsavory" on a good day. The kind that won't bother you generally but do what the hell they want, they are the ones that see it as taking "their land" away when you post something. Usually have a bunch of broken down vehicles in the yard and a setup for hanging deer in the front yard. Those are the guys I'd be concerned about, most people will just bitch and take a piss on your posted signs when the come across them.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I didn't take it that way (attacking me). I am stingy with emoticons and probably should have out a lol or something at the end of it.
Of maybe I'm just grumpy because my inlaws are spending the day here today.

Shouldn't you be out hunting then?

No, Mass goes by the opens fields doctrine, There is an expectation that if the land is not posted, then you can enter it. (Now before any of you stretch this to say, does mean that they come into house then?) No that is not what I am implying or saying. Mass F&W does suggest that you get permission or says that you should get permission the law does not require such unless the property is posted. This guy that had his stuff stolen yeah that is wrong, I am guessing that he has done what many others have done is convinced the land owner that it should be his private hunting preserve.
So one selfish individual is getting the treatment from another who is of like mind.
Or other hunters could do what the OP did and talk to the land owner. If I had land that was good hunting grounds I'd let others hunt but still would want to know who was hiking around my property. Talking to the owner is just the right thing to do.

Besides the libertarian ideal that so many here say they support only works if you respect the property of others regardless of what the law allows.

And before anyone says it, "that's not the system we have so **** them". This attitude guarantees that progress toward that idea never happens and brings you down to the lowest level of humanity. Whatever happened to the concept of being a good and righteous (in a non religious sense) man regardless of others.

That's the end of my rant on the downfall of society and it's root cause...for now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Or other hunters could do what the OP did and talk to the land owner. If I had land that was good hunting grounds I'd let others hunt but still would want to know who was hiking around my property. Talking to the owner is just the right thing to do.

Besides the libertarian ideal that so many here say they support only works if you respect the property of others regardless of what the law allows.

And before anyone says it, "that's not the system we have so **** them". This attitude guarantees that progress toward that idea never happens and brings you down to the lowest level of humanity. Whatever happened to the concept of being a good and righteous (in a non religious sense) man regardless of others.

That's the end of my rant on the downfall of society and it's root cause...for now.

Talking to the land owner is always the right thing to do.

It is an imperfect system because it is contradictory in nature.

The deer are property of the state and "managed" by the state for the benefit of all.

Hunter license fees are used to manage the herd and give the hunter the "privilege" of hunting the deer.

Landowners control access to the public resource and can eliminate access to the deer that the hunter license fee funds by posting their land.

Bob

There would be zero issue if the landowner said hey listen.. We have 4 other guys up here.. There's 8 total.. All play nice or move on.. Done and done.. I can't believe the legs this thread grew. I thought my point wast pretty clear... Some guys got it some guys didn't.. Oh well.. I'll be out there pre dawn fumbling around for my keys to unlock my climber ... Good luck fellas

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom