• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yep this again: 4 transfers in a calendar year or 4 transfers in a year's time?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I've done the search and the last time this topic was discussed was back in 2017 and not much came out of it. So what is it?

4 transfers allowed in a calendar year? or
4 transfers in a year's timeframe?

I did 4 transfers this year so hoping it's within a calendar year. Otherwise I'm only at 7 months if it's within a year's timeframe.

Yeah, I know I can go through an FFL but still.

Calendar, and what are you doing SELLING???

Wait, aren't YOU an FFL? I'm so confused

Yeah, I was selling some of the low hanging fruit to raise money. Looking to buy a fairly expensive precision rifle so it’s all for a good cause.

As to the FFL, yep. But I keep the personal collection separate

Calendar year. G. L. ch. 140, § 128A.
Thanks for the citation. While the law may or may not be enforced, the law states calendar year:

Section 128A. The provisions of section one hundred and twenty-eight shall not apply to any person who, without being licensed as provided in section one hundred and twenty-two, sells or transfers a firearm, rifle or shotgun to a person licensed under said section one hundred and twenty-two, or to a federally licensed firearms dealer or to a federal, state or local historical society, museum or institutional collection open to the public. The provisions of section one hundred and twenty-eight shall not apply to any resident of the commonwealth who, without being licensed as provided in section one hundred and twenty-two, sells or transfers to other than a federally licensed firearms dealer or organization named above not more than four firearms, including rifles and shotguns in any one calendar year;..

I've done the search and the last time this topic was discussed was back in 2017 and not much came out of it. So what is it?

4 transfers allowed in a calendar year? or
4 transfers in a year's timeframe?

I did 4 transfers this year so hoping it's within a calendar year. Otherwise I'm only at 7 months if it's within a year's timeframe.

Yeah, I know I can go through an FFL but still.
Really? 🤣

Doesn’t say anything about pistols!

Again…f*** them. It’s your property.
The law is pretty clear. It isn’t clear to me what the penalty could be for breaking it. Given how MA likes to make anything with guns a felony, it wouldn’t surprise me if this would be a felony, which would this make you a prohibited person. It’s straightforward to avoid such drama by just doing all +4 transfers through a dealer, so that is the route I would take. YMMV

The law is pretty clear. It isn’t clear to me what the penalty could be for breaking it. Given how MA likes to make anything with guns a felony, it wouldn’t surprise me if this would be a felony, which would this make you a prohibited person. It’s straightforward to avoid such drama by just doing all +4 transfers through a dealer, so that is the route I would take. YMMV

I’m just being a jerk because I don’t have to deal with that nonsense anymore.

Some dick head in Boston comes up with this arbitrary number of items of personal property that you’re allowed to sell and everyone shits their pants if they accidentally sold 5. Eff that.

Doesn’t say anything about pistols!

Again…f*** them. It’s your property.
G.L ch. 140, § 121:

Definitions: . . .

''Firearm'', a stun gun or a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors.

Tough crowd here today, sheesh. Lighten up.
I disagree. MA laws are hard enough to understand. A newb might not catch the sarcasm and think it is no big deal to violate this law. And it might not be. But then again it might. So it is appropriate to be clear about what the law is and what the prudent action would be, as opposed to just yelling “muh freedom!”.

Last edited:
I disagree. MA laws are hard enough to understand. A newb might not catch the sarcasm and think it is no big deal to violate this law. And it might not be. But then again it might. So it is appropriate to be clear about what the law is and what the prudent action would be, as opposed to just yelling “muh freedom!”.
If they want to get you badly enough they will sift and sift until they find some law that you have violated, even if you'll be the first person ever charged with violating that law.

If they want to get you badly enough they will sift and sift until they find some law that you have violated, even if you'll be the first person ever charged with violating that law.
Then why make it easy for them by doing something that you can easily avoid?

Back
Top Bottom