XM 15 question

how effective will my bushmaster xm15 with 11.5 inch h bar with a permenent attached flash hider ? how far out will it lose bullet fragmentation?[grin]

This topic was discussed in detail at www.ar15.com
If you do a search over there it will give you the information you are looking for. I don't remember all the specifics, but I want to say that out of a 14.5" barrel with a 55 grain bullet at about 2900+/- (rough estimate) bullet yaw (fragmentation) would occur roughly to 200 yards. An 11.5 barrel would be a somewhat slower speed thus less distance for effective yaw. A perm. flash hider or muzzle brake would not make much of a difference, imo.

But seriously go check out ar15.com

I absolutely love the look of the CAR - so much so, that I made a serious run at buying a preban a few years ago. I also have a good friend who was like a father to me in Ohio that carried and killed with one in Vietnam. He also had a civilian version, with the great flash suppressor that the ATF ultimately banned, (had some inherent sound suppression). I do believe it was a 10.5" barrel with a 5.5" flash suppressor, (I could be wrong). It was essentially a CQB weapon - very accurate at 25-50 yards, pretty accurate, (center mass) at 100 and pretty crappy beyond that. We took some pot shots at ground hogs with it beyond 150-yards and missed more than we hit, (but managed to bag one here and there). If you go this route, (which I still think is as cool as hell) and you're going in AWB configuration, try and find a brake that closely resembles the CAR. If you're lucky enough to be building this on a pre-ban lower, CAR flash suppressors are out there for sure, (I think even Brownells has them). You may have initial issues getting your gas system/buffer/bolt synched up, but once you do, you'll have a bad-assed CAR...[wink]

yes your right my CAR 15 is pinpoint accurate at 25 yards its ok out to 40 tards i never went past 50 yards yet i dont plan on using it for anything past 50 yards anyways whether its plinking or predator hunting my CAR has a removable handle so i can install a scope on top of the picitanni rail .

Yaw is the angle the bullet flys at. And bullets dont spontaneously fragment. Ive seen guys engage out to 500m with a 11.5. Your GTG under 200m

really u can shoot an 11.5 inch bushmaster out to 200m, i dont believe it out to 500m unles your using a scope it might be possible. my ar has a removable handle i am gonna buy a scope for it later and try it out to 100 yds i havent went past 50 yds yet....[hmmm]

Its true dude. Some Pittsburgh SWAT guys did in the international sniper comp this past year.

I saw that episode - they didn't fair well against the true sniper teams/rifles - but actually won the 'shooting from helo' stage.

Service rifle shoots (200, 300 & 600yds) are almost all now won with AR's (iron sights)
Velocity will be lower in the 11.5", but I can't believe that they couldn't shoot to 200-300 yds without any tumbling (but don't have personal experience below 16"!)

Its true dude. Some Pittsburgh SWAT guys did in the international sniper comp this past year.

did they do good mine is a Bushmaster 11.5" barrel with 5.5 inch flash hider 1/9 h bar a3 commando it looks cool shoots better then my 22 at 25 yards. (not on bench , standing)

Back
Top Bottom