• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WWII tanks and firearms

In WWII my grandfather was a gunner in a tank, I don'y know which one because he passed away before I really became interested in guns, and he lived in Florida so I never got to ask him. But my question is did they carry any weapons on them? They must have had a sidearm, But they did'nt have a rifle or anything did they. I think my Grandmother has all his service stuff somewhere, I'll ask her someday, maybe.

I remember reading somewhere that one source of Thompson submachine guns that appeared on the market were from ones sent to Russia with tanks from our lend-lease program in WWII. Later, the tankers carried the M-3 "Grease Gun", so-called because it looked like a.....grease gun.

I remember reading somewhere that one source of Thompson submachine guns that appeared on the market were from ones sent to Russia with tanks from our lend-lease program in WWII. Later, the tankers carried the M-3 "Grease Gun", so-called because it looked like a.....grease gun.

That's how I understand it as well, and only a tank's commander would have been armed with a side arm, which would have been the M1911A1. I have seen in movies the M1 carbine strapped to the sides of tanks, etc but I don't know how historically accurate that is.

armed

tankers had sub guns and pistols.regardless if weapons were issued or not they got them.you would not want to be unarmed if your tank was damaged would you.look up the unit and you will find what the tank was I would say sherman.we only had a few models the grant was used in africa and was obsolete early.the m4 was a scout tank and very vulnerable.

My Dad was a Bow Gunner in a tank unit during WWII. I know he was issued a rifle. I'm not sure what kind however. He just passed away a month and half ago, so I can no longer ask him. My siblings and I were cleaning out his house and I came across field dis-assembly instructions from the 40's. Next time I go by his house I'll look to see if it says what kind of rifle it was.

Last edited:
That's how I understand it as well, and only a tank's commander would have been armed with a side arm, which would have been the M1911A1. I have seen in movies the M1 carbine strapped to the sides of tanks, etc but I don't know how historically accurate that is.

Regarding the 1911; for tankers it was normally issued with a shoulder holster (for easier and quicker access), instead of a side carry holster.

My understanding is that the M1 "Tanker" was designed, among other reasons, to fit more easily into a tank, but that none were ever issued to tank crews. Somehow, though, the name stuck.

Beat me too it! I almost bought one once but someone along the lines had drilled and tapped the receiver...I can only assume...for a scope mount.

From what I remember reading about M1 Garand history the "M1 tanker" was never produced during WW2. There were prototypes that were made - but nothing that was ever issued to troops.

The guys over on the CMP forum could answer this conclusively for you - the guys on thehighroad have some good info:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=165795

tankers

the gun was experimented in Howaya for use on the islands.the war ended and so did that.some people modified rifles to 18 barrel and federal arms made some "BM59" from cut up M1s.I have one,they were recievers cut in two and welded.and had BM59 mag.others were as M1 config with 18"barrels.
[smile][grin]

Cool I'll definetly have to ask now. I believe he was in the 10th armored, fighting tigers IIRC

My father was in the 8th Armored during the war (he was armored infantry though). All tank crew had an M1911A1 and each tank had 2 .45 M3 submachine guns. Usually they were issued to the loader and asst. driver.

My wife's grandfather, Russell Smith, was a tank commander who fought in North Africa, Sicily, France, and Germany. He had a .45 throughout the war and was issued a "grease gun" at some point. He said they hadn't seen one before, or ever qualified with one.... they were just handed out. His "funny" story about the M3 concerns a stop for the night after they crossed into Germany. A bunch of them were lined up to go on patrol and the officer was cautioning them to be silent because the enemy could be near. Russ had his finger on the trigger and "brrrrrrrrrrp" accidentally fired into the ground. He said the officer was really pissed but nobody ratted him out. They delayed the patrol for a while... (imagine being the guy who had to walk in front of him [shocked])

His later exploits included filling up his tank with cigars from a German cigar factory, blowing up Hitler's toilet in Bertesgaden with a hand grenade, and almost running over Teddy Kennedy.

Russ later became a master engraver for Smith and Wesson. You can find pictures of his work in most S&W books. And if you go to the Reagan library, there's a Model 29 on display that Nancy had him engrave for Ronnie.

He's still with us and lives on the Cape. Here he is with his great-granddaughter:

rn.jpg

With the Tank? How did he almost run over Private Ted Kennedy? He would have had to drive the Tank into SHAPE (Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers, Europe) in Paris where Ted was hiding out during the Korean conflict .[rofl]

That was much later... on the Cape [wink]

According to Russ, he was driving and "this fat, red-faced guy" backs into the street with a lawn mower. Russ swerved, slams on the brakes and yells something like "Stay out of the road, I almost killed you". The guy yells back something like "Watch where you're going, do you know who I am?" Russ, by then realizing where he was and who that was, says "Yes and I didn't vote for you" and drives off.

According to Russ, he was driving and "this fat, red-faced guy" backs into the street with a lawn mower. Russ swerved, slams on the brakes and yells something like "Stay out of the road, I almost killed you". The guy yells back something like "Watch where you're going, do you know who I am?" Russ, by then realizing where he was and who that was, says "Yes and I didn't vote for you" and drives off.

I can't help but imagine some Sopranos type scenario with backing up, trying again, etc. [wink]

OK, the man's my hero now! LOL. Great answer.

Back
Top Bottom