WTF is a "Gun Compendium Tool" ?

A contractor I have dealt with sends a quarterly newsletter to clients and consultants. Part of every one is a "What is it?" picture, typically of some old tool. Guess it and you win a logo jacket from the company. The next newsletter has a new puzzle and the answer to the last one.

The answer to the last puzzle was an "18 Century Gun Compendium Tool", with the picture apparently coming from this site: 17th/18th Century Gun Compendium Tool with Powder Measure - 66631U

1686586772824.png

What the hell did they do with this?

A contractor I have dealt with sends a quarterly newsletter to clients and consultants. Part of every one is a "What is it?" picture, typically of some old tool. Guess it and you win a logo jacket from the company. The next newsletter has a new puzzle and the answer to the last one.

The answer to the last puzzle was an "18 Century Gun Compendium Tool", with the picture apparently coming from this site: 17th/18th Century Gun Compendium Tool with Powder Measure - 66631U

View attachment 762625

What the hell did they do with this?

Another:

A 17TH CENTURY NORTH EUROPEAN WHEEL-LOCK COMBINATION TOOL, comprising triple spanner and powder measure, together with a sprung flint knapping hammer.

Another:

A 17TH CENTURY NORTH EUROPEAN WHEEL-LOCK COMBINATION TOOL, comprising triple spanner and powder measure, together with a sprung flint knapping hammer.

So, looking at that, it seems that the three holes are various wrenches and the shaft slides in and out of the handle to act as a powder measure. Any thoughts on the vertical post with the hole and the two ears?

I'm guessing the word "compendium" was probably a auto-correct mistake and it should be "combination"...then it makes sense what it could be...a very early version of a Leatherman MUT...

I'm guessing the word "compendium" was probably a auto-correct mistake and it should be "combination"...then it makes sense what it could be...a very early version of a Leatherman MUT...

I don't think it's autocorrect. I think it's a synonym. "Compendium" might be what they used to call it back when these things were current.

It's definitely a combo tool, OP.

Compendium : a collection of things, especially one systematically gathered.

Like tools to work with for a gun.

I don't think it's autocorrect. I think it's a synonym. "Compendium" might be what they used to call it back when these things were current.

It's definitely a combo tool, OP.
You are correct...thanks. I looked deeper into the origins of that word...word meanings change over time...kind of like "regulated" ;)

The circle with pins is the head of a thumb screw or a rotating pin. No idea what it does.

You're going to give the current generation of manufacturers another fancy term to call something much more basic. Along the lines of 'white light' for flashlight, 'recoil mitigation system' for buffer tube, and 'applications' for the stuff you mount on your rifle.

Back
Top Bottom