Worcester Shotspotter

Your definition of a common sense gun law is to give someone life for possessing a stolen gun? Do you know the full chain of ownership for every gun in your safe?

Common sense: still not that common.

yep it do know the full chain of ownership. i agree that i may not or others may not. i get it. just if you are foundy guilty of a crime you committed with a stolen gun then you should get life. is that clear enough?

It would not surprise me in the least if groups of "aspiring rappers" started taking out the shot spotters and the cameras in their neighborhoods.

Now discussing the shot spotter on WTAG radio call in: 508-755-0058

Also mentioned Dr. Hirsch, who does the gun buybacks.

CALL!!!!!!!

yep it do know the full chain of ownership. i agree that i may not or others may not. i get it. just if you are foundy guilty of a crime you committed with a stolen gun then you should get life. is that clear enough?

The last 2 sentences are clear, but stupid. The rest reads like gibberish. [laugh]

Suppose the .38 I bought off a dude in a parking lot in Auburn 2 days ago (true story) on an FA10 was stolen, but he neglected to tell me this. My house gets broken into tonight and I commit the crime of brandishing said snubbie at an unarmed intruder in my house. The DA decides to try to make an example of me and charges me with assault. Hell, there are a million other crimes out there that any number of us unknowingly commit on a regular basis. You really want to lock people up for life because the gun they had on them at the time was reported stolen at some point?

How about stolen knives - automatic life in prison? Or is it just guns that are such a threat to public safety that we need mandatory life sentences and other special laws (ie restrictions) on them?

Last edited:
Can someone show me even a single piece of evidence of this "success?" How many crimes have been a) deterred, b) prevented, or c) solved thanks to this technology?

They have been using this in boston for years. It has worked in conjunction with d-bags on gps bracelets. Shotspotter triangulates where a "shot" comes from and they look to see which gang bangers on bracelets were in the area - either to blame - or question as uncredible witnesses. Tall buildings in big cities cause issues with this same as gps signals.

Is the juice worth the squeeze.....no

The last 2 sentences are clear, but stupid. The rest reads like gibberish. [laugh]

Suppose the .38 I bought off a dude in a parking lot in Auburn 2 days ago (true story) on an FA10 was stolen, but he neglected to tell me this. My house gets broken into tonight and I commit the crime of brandishing said snubbie at an unarmed intruder in my house. The DA decides to try to make an example of me and charges me with assault. Hell, there are a million other crimes out there that any number of us unknowingly commit on a regular basis. You really want to lock people up for life because the gun they had on them at the time was reported stolen at some point?

How about stolen knives - automatic life in prison? Or is it just guns that are such a threat to public safety that we need mandatory life sentences and other special laws (ie restrictions) on them?

Good point. A friend of mine purchased a hk usp from a reputable shop in the hookset area. The firearm turned out to be stolen. Hookset police called him, explained the situation and drove to his house to pick it up. Gun store did right by him and gave him a new hk usp and apologized.

I was working on a night crew at a mall in Providence while I was in college there in the 80's. One of the guys had some firecrackers that we lit up. Within 10 minutes cops were swarming the place. They knew pretty quick what we had done but we played dumb and they didn't give us a hard time.

Not sure if the detection system was tied in with the mall or part of a citywide system, but you don't forget having a dozen cops descend on you with guns drawn.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, they are actively working on the technology to allow video from pretty much any camera in a city to be streamed directly to a cruiser. Also to install video camera's everywhere in a city without the huge cost of fiber/ethernet backhaul.

http://www.broadband.gov/issues/public-safety.html

They are currently in development and roll out of their own private LTE network. They have $2 Billion in funding to get started, another $5Billion on the way with additional funds to be raise by charging fees for local police to use the system.

It is going to get worse, NOT better.

Better make a call to the PD if you're gonna be using a ramset.

Everyone start using these once a day and see how long before they get tired of running out of DD to respond to a false alarm.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a great way to collect brass...PEORIA — Two separate incidents of gunplay Tuesday night in South Peoria were discovered by Peoria police, though no one was harmed in either case.Authorities responded to the 1100 block of West Hurlburt Street shortly before 9:30 p.m. on a Shotspotter notification, according to a Peoria police report. Upon arriving at the scene, police found 14 nine millimeter shell casings in an alley between 1104 and 1106 W. Hurlburt St. along a garage. No witnesses, victims or damage to nearby buildings were discovered, according to the report.Shortly after 10 p.m., an officer on patrol heard three shots fired behind the Landmark Apartments in the 500 block of West Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive. A Shotspotter alert confirmed the gunfire, according to a Peoria police report. The officer then found three .45-caliber shell casings outside the rear door of the apartment building. No damages or witnesses were found.

I bet there were many fingerprints on those shell casings.

I agree that its 99.99% thugs on thugs but when they start spraying lead, innocents can get shot. Guess for now if you live in a big crap hole city (like me) you have to expect this type of gun play but it's not fair to the law abiding tax payers. Most cities now have state police patrols to help the locals so IMO there is no difference between the PD and the NG as far as .gov is concerned. Maybe martial law is a little too harsh but something needs to be done to root out the thugs. Cheers...

Not hard to find out who the thugs are. Many already have long rap sheets and I doubt any of them file tax returns. It worked with getting Al Capone. Should work with these scum.

I'm betting someone with a little blue hole in their torso would be pretty happy that something was notifying some kind responder since shots aren't always called in. Shotspotters ain't drones and they ain't non-traffic enforcement related cameras at every intersection. Foil hats have their place, but don't wear 'em too tight.

Total BS right there - All evidence suggests that individual sensors from the system can be monitored at any time. As these sensors are simply microphones I have an issue with the continous surreptitious recording of audio in pulbic by the government. If I tried that I would be in jail.

Added in Edit:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.304.8659&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Read the above report if you believe the shot spotter can tell the different between a subsonic round and a pyrotechnic with any accuracy in an urban surrounding.

The system saves data from a set time before and after a suspected gunshot so that the audio can be checked for information (people speaking to each other). If the only way to retrieve the audio is by court order through independent evidence (shell casings found or victim report) then the recording would presumably be constitutional.

Last edited:
Not hard to find out who the thugs are. Many already have long rap sheets and I doubt any of them file tax returns. It worked with getting Al Capone. Should work with these scum.

Right, because jamming someone up for a faulty tax return is a great idea.........

I will just ask that you keep in mind that any .gov intervention you want to be used against criminals can and will be twisted and used for nefarious .gov control application against sovereign citizens.

i listen to the scanner for Worcester a lot and they have had a lot of false hits. The system tell them there were shots , no called in reports and nothing found. Does not sound like it is perfected yet

If you want to PERFECTLY replicate gunfire.. pop bubble wrap.

To the human ear it isn't much of a match, but to the sensing equipment it is a perfect match.

The sensing equipment is looking for a impulse waveform. It basically just listens to everything and is looking for a specific "sharpness" to a rise and fall. A clap would work, obviously fireworks also. Really a lot of noises will set it off. But the bubble wrap comes in a handy rapid fire form factor. The bubble wrap won't be effective over a long distance like an actual gunshot, but if you were looking to be a pain in the ass and cause trouble, find the mics and pop away.

Pretty soon we should be able to get the assault bubble wrap banned.

Shotspotter and its cousin Boomerang know the difference between pyrotechnics and firearms. They look at acoustic signatures, and the technology is pretty mature. So the police will know that you are blowing off firecrackers downtown, which I think is illegal in itself.

http://www.shotspotter.com/

Boomerang uses a fundamentally different way of determining a gunshot and where it came from. I worked on the program for a while. Certain bits are still classified and I am not sure which ones.. so I can't really say too much more.

I know this as I worked on the program. (Though I admit, I am not 100% certain how ShotSpotter works. I only know the basic theory on how it works).

Everyone start using these once a day and see how long before they get tired of running out of DD to respond to a false alarm. ...

A FANTASTIC idea! We just need to find a couple businesses around the city, and start nailing 2x4's to the parking lot pavement. That's right, we're making inexpensive car stop bumper things.

Right, because jamming someone up for a faulty tax return is a great idea......... .

Hey, it worked for Al Capone!

ShotSpotter is calibrated with actual firing of rounds of different calibers including a variety of other sounds (fireworks,etc) and a pattern is established for those sounds with the devices installed in that community.
But, identifying those sounds to determine if it was gunfire or something else is done with the human ear.....

Everyone start using these once a day and see how long before they get tired of running out of DD to respond to a false alarm.

- - - Updated - - -

Riiiiight... Because the average route car has time to sit around all night at DD in between humping noise complaints and domestics. Maybe a sector Sgt....

ShotSpotter is calibrated with actual firing of rounds of different calibers including a variety of other sounds (fireworks,etc) and a pattern is established for those sounds with the devices installed in that community.
But, identifying those sounds to determine if it was gunfire or something else is done with the human ear.....

So are the Boomerang devices (not specific to their locale). But it's not that simple. Well.. it's actually exactly that simple, but then it gets way more complicated.

Back
Top Bottom