Worcester Shotspotter

Sure, right now those microphones are tuned to pick up a certain frequency range to "hear" gunfire, but just how long do you think that it will be before they can be used to zoom in and hear normal conversations while a subject is walking down the street under camera surveillance? Think it can't/won't happen? I have a bridge for sale...

And the courts will be happy to tell you that you have no expectation of privacy on a public street so whatever they do record becomes theirs to use against you...

That is one of several reasons police wanted to install a gunshot detection system called ShotSpotter, which is being used with much success in Boston and Springfield . .

Can someone show me even a single piece of evidence of this "success?" How many crimes have been a) deterred, b) prevented, or c) solved thanks to this technology?

ok you know you all get very picky. a stolen gun is illegal to have.

people in posession of stolen guns should get life.

like ****ing pulling teeth.

how about a little common sense here.

and here we go....

yep.
but there is a big difference between common sense and ****ing idiotic gun control measures.

i think everyone should be able to have a gun. but i hate criminals. i think we all agree.

thanks troll BTW

Your definition of a common sense gun law is to give someone life for possessing a stolen gun? Do you know the full chain of ownership for every gun in your safe?

Common sense: still not that common.

Your definition of a common sense gun law is to give someone life for possessing a stolen gun? Do you know the full chain of ownership for every gun in your safe?

Common sense: still not that common.

I was thinking the same thing when I read his posts!

wait, doesn't worcester not let the subjects there carry firearms on their person?

where's all the gunfire coming from? it is a mystery!

Shot Spotter also has the ability to record conversations - some at distance - these systems are usually paired with cameras to get eyes on the situation quickly.

Public Area - no expectation of privacy HOWEVER to record a conversation you need a warrant. Dicey little area.

Shot Spotter also has the ability to record conversations - some at distance - these systems are usually paired with cameras to get eyes on the situation quickly.

Public Area - no expectation of privacy HOWEVER to record a conversation you need a warrant. Dicey little area.

Welcome to the panopticon.

It does not matter what they call these things the "shot spotter", the "anti-kidnapper 3000". the cameras being the "traffic congestion" / "rape preventer 2.0" .. It is all a camera and a microphone on a public way that is recording everything it sees and hears at all times. And once this data is captured, it will be on file for ever.

Add into it some facial recognition software and pretty much as long as your face is visible, movements can be pretty much tracked anywhere in public

Can someone show me even a single piece of evidence of this "success?" How many crimes have been a) deterred, b) prevented, or c) solved thanks to this technology?

Success is measured by taking tax money from citizens and giving it to contractors.

This system is going in because the police know that us citizens use common sense and do not always report a gunshot (like if I hear a neighbor dispatch a raccoon that's in the vegetable patch stealing corn).

And the courts will be happy to tell you that you have no expectation of privacy on a public street so whatever they do record becomes theirs to use against you...

This is a tricky subject. Its already been determined that a warrant is needed to GPS track a car... if they are doing the same thing essentially using facial recognition software I imagine eventually a court would say its a no go without a warrant (probably not an MA court).

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Sounds like a great way to collect brass...PEORIA — Two separate incidents of gunplay Tuesday night in South Peoria were discovered by Peoria police, though no one was harmed in either case.Authorities responded to the 1100 block of West Hurlburt Street shortly before 9:30 p.m. on a Shotspotter notification, according to a Peoria police report. Upon arriving at the scene, police found 14 nine millimeter shell casings in an alley between 1104 and 1106 W. Hurlburt St. along a garage. No witnesses, victims or damage to nearby buildings were discovered, according to the report.Shortly after 10 p.m., an officer on patrol heard three shots fired behind the Landmark Apartments in the 500 block of West Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive. A Shotspotter alert confirmed the gunfire, according to a Peoria police report. The officer then found three .45-caliber shell casings outside the rear door of the apartment building. No damages or witnesses were found.

I'm thinking that any town where the police need to install gunshot detectors is not on my list of places I want to live. Especially if the issue is that there are so many gunshots that the residents don't bother reporting them any more.

wait, doesn't worcester not let the subjects there carry firearms on their person?

where's all the gunfire coming from? it is a mystery!

Pretty much. But everyone from a surrounding town that goes in there can, because most surrounding towns are gun friendly. I carry in Worcester 100 percent of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking that any town where the police need to install gunshot detectors is not on my list of places I want to live. Especially if the issue is that there are so many gunshots that the residents don't bother reporting them any more.

Or the residents know the first rule of dealing with the cops... "Don't Talk to the Police, EVER!"

most rational people would immediately go for their shtf gun and start scanning the neighborhood.

I've been trying to upload a pic of one just outside Colony Farms in Webster square.
Thought it was a spotter.

here's a pic I found quick:
Shotspotter-001.jpg

Broke Chicago spends $200k for something they also get for free

another:
29shots1-popup.jpg

Shots Fired, Pinpointed and Argued Over

found those and more here:
shotspotter microphone - Google Search

food for thought:
No-Target-Shooting-Sign-With-Holes.jpg

Last edited:
I agree that its 99.99% thugs on thugs but when they start spraying lead, innocents can get shot. Guess for now if you live in a big crap hole city (like me) you have to expect this type of gun play but it's not fair to the law abiding tax payers. Most cities now have state police patrols to help the locals so IMO there is no difference between the PD and the NG as far as .gov is concerned. Maybe martial law is a little too harsh but something needs to be done to root out the thugs. Cheers...

Back
Top Bottom