Worcester buy back program

anyone trashing finalygotabeltfed hasn't met him in person. he's a great dude and i'd be glad to have him on my side any day of the week. these last few posts and EC's have been spot on.

When you participate in shit like that, you validate their agenda.

"Buy back" suggests that they're paying me for something I got from them in the first place. As in suggesting that I can carry firearms only through the "by your leave" of the elected officials that view themselves as my betters.

Supporting or taking part in a "buy back" program has moral and political implications that simply aren't compatible with a free man's mindset.

Furthering the myth that Americans only own their guns by the good will of the king's hand is precisely what we (as Patriots) should be railing against. Do a few rusty guns make up a tin of piss in the grand scheme of things? No - but neither does fifty bucks. Keeping every ounce of legitimacy away from anti-gun events like this is more important.

This has been a good thread. Blunt, sure. But very good posts.

Exactly this...which is well articulated and accuses no one of treason.

This.

It was my opinion, whether you or anyone else likes it or not thank you.

And you're welcome to it, but with respect calling something like this treason weakens the word. We have real traitors out there - some guy who's just trying to get a few bucks for some rusty trash is not one of them. Misguided is probably a more accurate word.

This. And you're welcome to it, but with respect calling something like this treason weakens the word. We have real traitors out there - some guy who's just trying to get a few bucks for some rusty trash is not one of them. Misguided is probably a more accurate word.

I will ditto this. Benedict Arnold committed treason, CWO John Walker committed treason, FBI Agent Robert Hanssen committed treason, trading some rusty old guns for shopping cards is not treason, perhaps misguided and perhaps naive, but not a treasonous act. Upon reflection it's probably a good thing that you don't make up the legal definition. Treason or crimes against the state are charges frequently brought up by totalitarian states to cover a variety of charges against mainly innocent people. Just ask the folks who Stalin put in the Gulags...

You are welcome to your opinion, of course as I am welcome to mine.

Last edited:
This.

And you're welcome to it, but with respect calling something like this treason weakens the word. We have real traitors out there - some guy who's just trying to get a few bucks for some rusty trash is not one of them. Misguided is probably a more accurate word.

Nah, the ten year old who steals candy at the dare of his friends is "misguided".

The adult, licensed gun owner, of even average intelligence in the ever increasing oppressive police state of Massachusetts that sells guns of any condition for any price to a sponsored gun buy is treasonous to the liberties of the rest of us.

Nah, the ten year old who steals candy at the dare of his friends is "misguided".

The adult, licensed gun owner, of even average intelligence in the ever increasing oppressive police state of Massachusetts that sells guns of any condition for any price to a sponsored gun buy is treasonous to the liberties of the rest of us.

Well said

Would you like to see him hanged, drawn and quartered as punishment for what he did? If not, it's probably not treason.

I am against buy back programs....... however if you use the $$ to buy a new gun or gun related item then you are just F(*&ing the system.....

The jackoffs that run these programs are now going to parade your 4 rusty rifles with other shitty guns in front of the cameras and talk about the dangerous weapons that they got off the streets with this program, and what a success the program was. Never, ever sleep with the enemy.
I know these "buy backs" are useless as regards their stated purpose. They are useful for their promoters for the political preening they produce.

Tactics that would reduce the preening seem moral to me. I see several tactics.

Credit for junkers can used to buy other guns or ammunition. Even if the donor sells at gourmet prices, you can buy some staples that you'd buy elsewhere anyway and displace purchases that you'd buy anyway. Don't spend more than the card and the donor makes no profit. You can even tell the cashier how you got the card and that with the money you're saving at your regular Acme Supermarket this week will be used to buy a couple boxes of handgun cartridges. A letter to management with a photostat of the "gift card" explaining the same would be a nice touch.

How about this tactic: At the next buyback, 1000 people that look like they'd be comfortable at a NES range party, show up and cause a long line each with a junker. Someone calls the local TV news -- so many people lined up with guns is a news story, if for no other reason because they sponsors are sure to run out of money. If all the TV interviews have people saying they will use their gift card (ultimately) to buy ammunition or guns, the message will get out, and there will be fewer sponsors and preening in the future.

--jcr

I know these "buy backs" are useless as regards their stated purpose. They are useful for their promoters for the political preening they produce.

Tactics that would reduce the preening seem moral to me. I see several tactics.

Credit for junkers can used to buy other guns or ammunition. Even if the donor sells at gourmet prices, you can buy some staples that you'd buy elsewhere anyway and displace purchases that you'd buy anyway. Don't spend more than the card and the donor makes no profit. You can even tell the cashier how you got the card and that with the money you're saving at your regular Acme Supermarket this week will be used to buy a couple boxes of handgun cartridges. A letter to management with a photostat of the "gift card" explaining the same would be a nice touch.

How about this tactic: At the next buyback, 1000 people that look like they'd be comfortable at a NES range party, show up and cause a long line each with a junker. Someone calls the local TV news -- so many people lined up with guns is a news story, if for no other reason because they sponsors are sure to run out of money. If all the TV interviews have people saying they will use their gift card (ultimately) to buy ammunition or guns, the message will get out, and there will be fewer sponsors and preening in the future.
--jcr

I just used that exact argument, and was more or less told I'm a sympathizer, traitor and should be strapped to a nuke and lobbed on Iran. (OK, I made up the nuke bit)

Good luck with the reasonable exchange of ideas. There is only one truth here.

I just used that exact argument, and was more or less told I'm a sympathizer, traitor and should be strapped to a nuke and lobbed on Iran. (OK, I made up the nuke bit)

Let me see if I can convince you that those types of ideas are bad...

I think we can all agree that these buybacks do nothing to make the streets safer. Their main purpose is to make it look like there is a 'gun problem', and to make it look like the police and concerned entities are doing something about it.

Let me repeat part of that: One of the main purposes of these buybacks is to make it appear to the sheep that there is, in fact a 'gun problem'. Do you know how they do that?

Here's how: By taking in a lot of guns.

Picture this... You sell 'back' a rusty worthless non-functioning single shot shotgun that hasn't been fired since the Nixon administration. On the way out with your Wegmans card, you tell a reporter that you're going to buy ammo with it. At Wegmans.

Later on, during the news story they show the Worcester chief of police holding up your shotgun and saying, "This weapon can cut a child in half with one shot and we took it off the street today."

Then they show you saying that you're going to buy ammo with the card you got. At Wegmans.

Have you helped? Are you glad your gun is off the street? Because you let them be able to say that.

Do you still think it's a good idea for us to line up and turn in 100s of guns?

Last edited:
Finalygotabeltfed:2144416 said:
You suck and you're a F'ing traitor if you support or participate in government gun buy programs.

You are not at all part of the "gun culture" and you are furthuring the agenda of very same people who will eventually kill you to take your guns. If you support or participate in any government gun buy program, you are not my ally nor my fellow American, you are my enemy and I wish all the ill will this world can muster against you.

I'm in this camp. Stop aiding the enemy.

EddieCoyle:2146066 said:

I think we can all agree that these buybacks do nothing to make the streets safer. Their main purpose is to make it look like there is a 'gun problem', and to make it look like the police and concerned entities are doing something about it.

Let me repeat part of that: One of the main purposes of these buybacks is to make it appear to the sheep that there is, in fact a 'gun problem'. Do you know how they do that?

Picture this... You sell 'back' a rusty worthless non-functioning single shot shotgun that hasn't been fired since the Nixon administration. On the way out with your Wegmans card, you tell a reporter that you're going to buy ammo with it. At Wegmans.

Later on, during the news story they show the Worcester chief of police holding up your shotgun and saying, "This weapon can cut a child in half with one shot and we took it off the street today."

Then they show you saying that you're going to buy ammo with the card you got. At Wegmans.

Have you helped? Are you glad your gun is off the street? Because you let them be able to say that.

QFTMFT

If you can't comprehend this and why we are against them nothing is going to help.

Sure, turn in 1000's. And be sure to get word out that the police/sponsors are morons for giving away tax dollars for perfectly useless firearms that are only slightly more dangeerous than a baseball bat, and do nothing to make the streets safer. There seems to be some belief that only the police can make the evening news.

It can be used both ways. I see only one possibility being repeately expressed as the only possibility.

Unless you can show a direct link where a gun "buyback" has led to legislation, it's all just armchair speculation and posturing, which is another word for bullshit.

I've had my mind changed as a result of this thread.

I started reading it and thought "What's the big deal? Turn in a piece of junk gun that can never be fixed and get something for it. I screwed the system by taking money from them."
Now I see it's all about appearances and that these programs justify their anti-stance.

Treasonous is a bit over the top, but whatever; it got the point through to me.
Eddie Coyle made it so i could understand it.

I'll make lamps or something out of my few junk guns.

Let me add.. The result of everybody lining up and turning in worthless guns for gift cards will not be less gun buybacks, it will be more. Try this:

Food Retailers Announce Permanent Groceries For Guns Program

WORCESTER - Because of the rousing success of the December 2011 gun buyback, with over 100 dangerous weapons removed from the streets, Whole Foods, Roche Bros, and Trader Joes have joined with Wegmans to announce their new permanent "Groceries for Guns" program.

Under this program, anyone turning in any gun at any time will receive a gift card that can be exchanged for $50 worth of groceries. The strong turnout in Worcester has prompted the retailers to expand the program to Boston, Springfield, Brockton, Lowell, Lawrence, Fitchburg, and Holyoke. The police departments in these cities will be ready to accept guns in exchange for gift cards by the beginning of May.

Earlier today, Senator Elizabeth Warren introduced "The Safe Communities Act", a bill to provide federal tax breaks for retailers who participate in gun buyback programs.

Later today, Governor Patrick is expected to sign into law his One Gun A Month bill. Community leaders across the state are praising the Governor for his latest gun control initiative, citing the huge increase in weapons seized during the buyback programs as a clear indicator that the state needs stricter gun control to crack down on gun crime.

Last edited:
anyone trashing finalygotabeltfed hasn't met him in person. he's a great dude and i'd be glad to have him on my side any day of the week. these last few posts and EC's have been spot on.

Finalygotabeltfed was one of the first guys I met at the gun club. He's as stand-up a guy as you'll meet.

He took the time to educate my son and I on firearms usage. He is very knowledgeable about firearms. He's smart and articulate, and he's passionate. He cares deeply.

And Atilla is absolutely right, Finalygotabeltfed is the guy you'd want on your side, or having your back, anyplace, anytime.

And IMHO he is absolutely right in this argument.

for those of you that don't believe this, do a google search for "Worcester Wegman's Gun Buy Back Program"

Every article title has "nets 115 weapons " in it.

That alone should wake you up.

give it a try: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wegman's+worcester+gun+buy+back+program

Sure, turn in 1000's. And be sure to get word out that the police/sponsors are morons for giving away tax dollars for perfectly useless firearms that are only slightly more dangeerous than a baseball bat, and do nothing to make the streets safer. There seems to be some belief that only the police can make the evening news.

It can be used both ways. I see only one possibility being repeately expressed as the only possibility.

Your logic is screwed up. They take in junk now and get praised for it. If they take in more junk, they'll get more praise. Why would you think any differently?

"Get the word out" that they're morons? Get it out to who? And how?

The media is anti-gun. At a recent buyback, they took in a Marlin 60 with a hockey tape pistol grip and fore stock and called it a "sawed off assault rifle".

They're not giving away tax dollars. They're giving away gift card donated by 'responsible merchants'. How are you going to get anybody pissed about that?

Think it through please.

Their main purpose is to make it look like there is a 'gun problem', and to make it look like the police and concerned entities are doing something about it.
I think the police have myriad other ways to make it look like there is a "gun problem". They do it every day.

They make a marijuana bust in Douglas (yawn), but make sure to announce they got an arsenal (33) of guns in the bust. Nevermind the group has never been know for violence, and that probably many in Douglass have that many guns among 5 adults. [And IED-s too! Really!? Probably two simple jars of black powder.]

I do thing your second part is correct. They use their "gun problem" to stage the "buyback" to campaign to keep their jobs.

Among the inanity, they demonstrate that they have never taken an economics course. They seem to be surprised that they are getting a declining amount of junk. Every once in a while, a group increases the buy amount and they get better numbers -- but they don't realize then (at least the news reporters don't) it is only because the supply at the old price has dried up.

--jcr

I like what Swampy said a few pages back about giving the firearm an 'honorable death'

Also, I would never brag about having 4 less guns

+1 to FinallyGotBeltFed

This is the government's version of the drug dealer model. Give them a taste or two for free. Then hit them with the hard stuff.

This is the first step in a progression.

Back
Top Bottom