• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Woman Shot while on the phone with 911...

Poor woman, may she rest in peace.

Of course, the obligatory school lock down is thrown in at the end of the story. It seems to be pretty commonplace these days.

Calif. Woman Slain on the Phone With 911

Thu Mar 20, 1:34 PM EDT
A woman was asking a 911 dispatcher for help when her pleas were interrupted by gunshots, then silence. She was shot to death.

The woman told the dispatcher someone was trying to break into her home in upscale West Covina, Los Angeles County sheriff's Lt. Dan Rosenberg said. "Deputies heard gunshots followed by silence and an open phone line," he said.

Deputies arrived at the house, 20 miles east of Los Angeles, a few minutes after Wednesday's late morning call.

The woman, whose name was not released by police, had been shot several times. Paramedics pronounced her dead at the scene.

"At this point we believe it was a burglary gone awry," Rosenberg said.

Investigators are trying to determine if anything was taken, Deputy Luis Castro said.

While police were investigating the shooting, a man arrived at the home asking about his wife.

When he heard that the woman had been shot and killed, he collapsed and started to cry, saying "No! She just called me. You lie."

The man was placed in a patrol car and taken to a sheriff's station, police said.

Witnesses said they saw one or more men running from the house, Rosenberg said.

Investigators used bloodhounds to conduct yard-to-yard searches.

No arrests had been made by Thursday morning, deputies said.

As a precaution during the search, a high school and an elementary school were locked down for about two hours, police Lt. Dan Brooks said.

ohlord.gif

And that, ladies and gentlemen of the Universal Hub, is why we carry in our own homes.

May G-d send healing that poor husband's troubled soul.

Poor lady, if she lived in a freer state maybe she'd still be with us.

If someone breaks into my house, 911 will be called to inform them there is a bad guy bleeding to death on my floor.

How could this happen in "upscale West Covina"? Don't they have 1 to 1 police coverage? [rolleyes] I just don't get it. Well at least the state will clean up the mess and forward the bill to the next of kin.[sad2]

I cross-posted this over at UH. We'll see what happens. (I feel like a lab researcher, poking at the mice to see what they do...)

I hate turning tragic situations into gun/ no gun arguments...but you can't argue tha her chances of survival would have been better had she had some means of self preservation. (gun knife whatever your flavor)

"At this point we believe it was a burglary gone awry," Rosenberg said.

This is the kind of language that really upsets me. As if there is a proper way for a home invasion to occur. Almost as if "well, if she wasn't in her own home, this wouldn't have gone awry."

Terrible story. Good luck to her family.

Worst thing about 911 is it probably causes some people to suspend all logic and reason... because the public has often been lulled into the myth that dialing 911 will cause police to instantaneously show up at their house.... so instead of "doing something" she probably huddled in a corner with the phone.... when she could have been running somewhere or preparing to defend herself, with some kind of improvised weapon. A gun is best but I think there are probably a few things this lady could have done to save her ass... but we have a government that basically trains/tells people to "let the police handle it" [rolleyes].

The problem is all too often, especially with home invaders, the BG's that do this kind of crap have very
little hesitation to killing the occupants or at least incapacitating them. There is a certain kind of "f**cked up"
element that a cirminal has if they're willing to break into an occupied dwelling.

911 isn't a bad thing... for medical emergencies and calling the police after the fact, or if, and only if time allows,
before the fact, to help clean up the mess. [laugh]

-Mike

ok anti gun people..... since you now read our posts would having a gun have given the woman a chance of survival? Just a chance? Probobly not right? yeah.... probobly not.... 911 will do the trick next time right??? I dont know why people would want to protect themselves anyways..... [frown]

My thoughts and prayers go out to this woman and her family in this awful time.... [sad2]

Worst thing about 911 is it probably causes some people to suspend all logic and reason... because the public has often been lulled into the myth that dialing 911 will cause police to instantaneously show up at their house.... so instead of "doing something" she probably huddled in a corner with the phone....
Not to mention the fact that all the 911 operator asshats tell you to do is to NOT fight back and to keep yammering useless blabber on the phone.

911 Operator: Sir, do not get a weapon. Sir, do not get a gun.

Victim: But, but, they are almost in the room.

911 Operator: Sir, do not get a weapon. Sir, do not get a gun. Wait for the PO-lice.

Victim: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Arrrrrrrrggggggghhhhh!

911 Operator: Sir, do not get a weapon. Sir, do not get a gun. Wait for the PO-lice.

If you must dial 911, dial, get an open line, drop the phone, and do what has to be done to take care of business.

911 isn't a bad thing... for medical emergencies and calling the police after the fact, or if, and only if time allows, before the fact, to help clean up the mess.
Actually, Mike, 911 is a GREAT thing - to summon help when needed and when it's NOT time-critical. The way that the powers that be try to make it out to be the be-all and end-all to be used in an emergency situation is criminal, though.
Man... what a horrible story. Choked me up just thinking of being in the husband's shoes.
Absolutely tragic. This must be ripping that poor man's heart to shreds.
I know... he must be absolutely shattered. I cannot even imagine what is going through his mind right now. That poor guy. He'll certainly be in my prayers...

We've been programming the sheep for decades to "call 9-1-1". I agree with all of you who said, in effect, to call for help and leave the line open.

Then take care of business!

I, as well, feel horrible about what happened, my thoughts and prayers go out to not only this family, but all those who suffered the same in the past. And, unfortunately, the future.

I reccommend reading the book from JPFO titled dial 911 and Die. Lots of people put their faith in others when they should learn to be responsible for themselves.

Will the anti-gun lobby get it now? How many more must die at the hands of the Brady Campaign? We doubt it. They'll be issuing more press releases for further gun control measures and looking for money in support of failed policy rather than being concerned about the ability for citizens to protect themselves from criminal acts such as this. As usual, they'll be looking at the "wrong end of the barrel" on this issue.

I hate turning tragic situations into gun/ no gun arguments...
I agree with you... but it NEEDS to be done or else more women will suffer this woman's fate. The Brady Bunch certainly don't waste any time screaming to the heavens about EEEEVIL GUNS when some nutjob starts shooting up victim-disarmament zones. AND sticking their hands out for more money, besides.

Wow, I was of board all night and didn't really think that this post would bring such a response.

I agree, it really choked me up when I read it. I can't imagine what my reaction would be. Probably something like what they described his as. It is a horrible situation for sure. I would love to say I feel for him but, I just don't think that I can even imagine what he is feeling.

This isn't even about firearms really, it is about taking that step toward realizing that in this day and age you are not even safe in your own home, which in my opinion is one of the worse feelings in the world.

This isn't even about firearms really, it is about taking that step toward realizing that in this day and age you are not even safe in your own home, which in my opinion is one of the worse feelings in the world.
Actually, people can be safe in their home if they have the will, fortitude, and means to crush anyone who tries to violate that safety.

I am not sure a gun would have helped THIS woman. What she needed to do was get away from the locus of the break-in (upstairs, basement, NOT in front of the door). It may be that she was on the only phone in the house, in which case a cell phone would have been better than a gun.

Unless she could see her attacker or, at the very least the door he was breaking through, she had no target.

Guns can be marvelous tools but, as with any tool, they have specific applications.

Back
Top Bottom