Will NICS Become A Massive Firearms Registration Scheme

It more or less already is. If ATF wanted the books from FFL's, they'll get them.

Now, the gov doesn't know with 100% certainty what you have, but if you've had your name run through the NICS system, I think that information is catalogued somewhere, probably through the NSA PRISM program. So, the NSA more than likely has that information on the books if you've purchased since that spying program was started. Whatever you bought before PRISM... I think you'll be in the clear.

It's not going to stop me from buying and exercising my right. I'd rather be dead than live disarmed.

It more or less already is. If ATF wanted the books from FFL's, they'll get them.

Now, the gov doesn't know with 100% certainty what you have, but if you've had your name run through the NICS system, I think that information is catalogued somewhere, probably through the NSA PRISM program. So, the NSA more than likely has that information on the books if you've purchased since that spying program was started. Whatever you bought before PRISM... I think you'll be in the clear.

It's not going to stop me from buying and exercising my right. I'd rather be dead than live disarmed.

For years you were able to do private sales in many states without any paperwork or authorization. That includes Connecticut.

As a Georgia resident I can legally do a private person to person sale or purchase in state of rifle, shotgun or pistol without any paperwork or background check.

I mean it probably already is to some extent. FA-10's are exactly that and are guaranteed to be used as such in the near future.
National reciprocity could end up be the catalyst that officially establishes a national registry which would be used as Big brother's naughty or nice list.
Except eventually only nice people will have their guns taken away.
Naughty people don't give a shit about NICS.

It's been the subject of speculation that the records on checks were illegally kept all along.
I happen to agree with that theory .

It's been the subject of speculation that the records on checks were illegally kept all along.
I happen to agree with that theory .

I can almost-guarantee that if you give the Government a piece of information, they WILL retain it someway/somehow - the War on Terror means all of that data is now important for 'the Defense of the Homeland'.

The FBI server-farm, alone, is pretty vast - they've been data-mining from the TELCOs since before there was such a term. The only reason there aren't Congressional Hearings on the content of these databases is because they don't really know who has what, and where it is stored....and the 3-Letter agencies keep things that way to make sure the data keeps flowing.

I mean it probably already is to some extent. FA-10's are exactly that and are guaranteed to be used as such in the near future.
National reciprocity could end up be the catalyst that officially establishes a national registry which would be used as Big brother's naughty or nice list.

I mean.

What i am thinking

The techie in me sees how the fed deals with 4477s and traces and sees classic mismanagement and waste by the fed. But the rest of me knows that any efficiency will come with lists and abuse. It's a lose lose situation.

Not only do they get books if they want them, they also get books when ffl retire. I'm sure they have digitized it and crosslinked it and are just itching for a national universal background check law to pass so they have a complete registry

I'm not worried.
I'm whole convinced that the government is so inefficient in it's current endeavors that added stresses will only further jam up the system.

It's the same reason I don't believe in far reaching conspiracies that involve hundreds, thousands, millions of people, especially when bureaucrats are involved. Any program, society, or agency is bound to be betrayed by a greed fueled office rivalry, somebody saying something to a hooker, or purely government fumbling the ball. It's inconceivable to think that a government filled with public sector washouts that can't kick in the right door, can't build a functioning website, accidentally dumps toxic waste into a river and can't keep an intern blowing the prez a secret for more than 5 minutes can somehow pull off the biggest conspiracy to disarm America, let alone in secret.

It wouldn't be hard to make a list even without NICS. There's no background check to join ISIS and we still have watch-lists and no fly lists. Monitor internet traffic. We're all pooched here. Anyone who's ever looked at Brownells goes on a further scrutiny list. You'd have to do everything in cash at various small shops, pay range fees in cash, somehow not be noticeable to any regulars at the range (either people know you, or you're the 1 weird guy who never says anything to anyone, always pays in cash, and is very reserved, either way, you stand out) and never mention a word to anyone ever that you owned a gun.
Or not, because I still think you could probably drive around with a flashing neon sign that says "I HAVE GUNS" and open cary and still slip through the cracks.

And like others have said, even if no shady shit was going on the list is generally already here. All those numbers of guns in America and record gun sales come from nics. Which has a name attached. It's not a perfect view, but they get the general gist because you're popping up on nics multiple times per year.

You do know that it isn't NICS that tracks firearms sales right? Any list isn't going to come from NICS, it'll come from the ATF's firearms trace group that handles the 4477s.

You do know that it isn't NICS that tracks firearms sales right? Any list isn't going to come from NICS, it'll come from the ATF's firearms trace group that handles the 4477s.
Isn't it the FBI that reports every year that a new record was set for background checks? I figured that was all nics info

Corrupt and incompetent many are but that won't stop them from trying at some point and many good people will suffer for it.

Isn't it the FBI that reports every year that a new record was set for background checks? I figured that was all nics info

Yes, but NICS checks don't equal gun sales. They don't include what or how many you buy.

Im not sure if its mentioned but i believe the ffl only has to maintain the records for 20 years. Then they can be disposed of..

I don't have a citation but im sure an ffl will chime in if im wrong

Im not sure if its mentioned but i believe the ffl only has to maintain the records for 20 years. Then they can be disposed of..

I don't have a citation but im sure an ffl will chime in if im wrong

It's correct. After 20 years the FFL can destroy the records.

Notably, the FFL is only required to use ordinary care storing them. If the bound books are destroyed by accident, they'll be annoyed but understand that it happens. (fire, flood, theft, ??)

Notably, the FFL is only required to use ordinary care storing them. If the bound books are destroyed by accident, they'll be annoyed but understand that it happens. (fire, flood, theft, ex wife??)

FIFY sort of

Notably, the FFL is only required to use ordinary care storing them. If the bound books are destroyed by accident, they'll be annoyed but understand that it happens. (fire, flood, theft, ??)
Boating accident. Always the best answer. No boat? Sunk in a boating accident, of course.
-Gary

Back
Top Bottom