Wife's fingerprints rejected....

So I just got a call from our local PD that my wife's fingerprints were rejected. The officer who processed us did have a difficult time getting a read on her prints, the machine rejected 9 out of 10 and he had to use the manual override to accept them (weak ridge detail). Even at that, he expressed surprise that the agency rejected them and didn't think they looked that bad. I assume mine were accepted because he didn't mention them.

So, she's going to have to go back and get printed again.

Anyone else here ever encounter this problem? What happens if they get rejected again?

My first set of ink prints were rejected. I guess I wasn't a cooperative subject. It slowed the process down but the second set went through fine.

My wife's fingerprints would not show up electronically at all. On the back of her license, instead of there being a digital (get it... digital?! Hah!) version of her fingerprint, there is a "PIN required" statement, or something along those lines.

Not having the fingerprint is no big deal, at least with the new licenses, as they still take an ink/paper version. At least that's what happened in MA.

I always thought a hot conservative woman that puts up with a man's crap is usually a keeper.

Many people have finger prints that do not read well. I have worked with a lot of different fingerprinting systems and our cutomers are always amazed/annoyed at the number of unreadable prints. Winter is especially bad for electronic fingerprint readers as the skin is too dry. Many offices in really cold/dry climates keep a bottle of moisturizer to help get better scans.

Many offices in really cold/dry climates keep a bottle of moisturizer to help get better scans.

That's interesting, I asked the officer if there was anything she could do to improve readability, specifically use moisturizer. He said no, moisturizer actually makes it worse. [thinking]

My prints went thru fine... but the print readers NEVER have worked... I always need to use my pin.

It's funny, I figured MY prints would be the troublesome ones - my fingers are really dry and cracked all to hell like they are every winter. But even the finger tip I burnt on a soldering iron a couple weeks ago was readable by the machine. 6 out of 10 gave clean machine reads.

That's interesting, I asked the officer if there was anything she could do to improve readability, specifically use moisturizer. He said no, moisturizer actually makes it worse. [thinking]

Well, it can if dryness was not the problem or if you use too much, it smears.

When we were working up in atlantic canada, we could hardly read anyone's with out it. Of course it was -30 for the whole week.

Actually, the old Identex readers used to ship with both a jar of pads to clean and moisturize and a small block to blot out extra oils or moisturizer.

So I just got a call from our local PD that my wife's fingerprints were rejected. The officer who processed us did have a difficult time getting a read on her prints, the machine rejected 9 out of 10 and he had to use the manual override to accept them (weak ridge detail). Even at that, he expressed surprise that the agency rejected them and didn't think they looked that bad. I assume mine were accepted because he didn't mention them.

Anyone else here ever encounter this problem? What happens if they get rejected again?

My Wife had to go back 3 times on a prior renewal! She was mighty pissed.

These were all ink prints and the first set looked fine to the officer and myself, but were rejected. Second set was done on standard booking print card and thus rejected (had to be on CHSB special blue card). Third set flew . . . good thing as my Wife was about ready to give up. Didn't see how it went for the MIRCS system last renewal as I was in shooting the shit with the other Lt. at the time.

My Wife had to go back 3 times on a prior renewal! She was mighty pissed.

Oh man, she better not get rejected a second time, because I don't know if she'll bother to go back a third time. She's somewhat irked about having to go back this time. If they reject her again, she might just give up.

Moisturizer at the time of the printing makes it worse. Using it the day or 2 before helps. Also have her drink a lot of water so she is hydrated. it helps.

No way man, she's a keeper, bad prints and all. She's conservative, rides a motorcycle, wants her LTC, and puts up with me. Plus she's hot.
this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

It's funny, I figured MY prints would be the troublesome ones - my fingers are really dry and cracked all to hell like they are every winter. But even the finger tip I burnt on a soldering iron a couple weeks ago was readable by the machine. 6 out of 10 gave clean machine reads.
This week I discovered just how bad the crap that MA calls "print readers" really are.

I am a volunteer with the MyCHIP project, and as we just got new equipment, I went into Cambridge for training on the new stuff. Well, it just about knocked my socks off. We used to use full-sized VHS recorders and VHS tapes, paper fingerprint cards and hand write the info on paper. The equipment for an event would fill up a mid-sized station wagon. Not any more!!

Now, we have a briefcase that has an Acer laptop fitted into it with an HP inkjet printer, a fingerprint scanner and a USB webcam. Open the case up, un-velcro the finger print scanner, remove the remote keyboard from the top of the case, pick up the webcam and put it into the base (glued in the case) and you're good to go.

I tried the equipment out Monday night, and it took ONE TO TWO SECONDS to get a print PER FINGER. When I renewed my LTC with MIRCS, it took 5 MINUTES to get a usable scan from ONE FINGER. When I go to buy a gun, it takes two to 4 minutes for me to get my finger scanned.

Man, for all we pay for the licenses, they should at LEAST buy quality stuff. The fingerprint scanners the gun dealers and the police depts have is SHIT.

The fingerprint scanner is in the upper right part of the pic, just above the printer.
CHIPequip2.jpg

Haaving processed fingerprints for LTC's and FID's for almost 6 years ('99-'05), I can tell you that many fingerprints get rejected. At the time, we were relying on ten print cards for applications, and in some cases it was due to the inexperience of the person taking the prints, and in other cases it actually had to do with individual's fingerprints.

People in certain trades frequently have very worn prints, the same can be said for elderly persons as well. At the time, when we received prints and rejected them, we had the department that took them resubmit them and run them again. If they were still rejected, we did what was called a "forced search" and did the best with what we had. I don't know what the current policy or procedure at the State Identification Section is now regarding resubmitting prints especially since they are now being done electronically, but to answer your original question, having fingerprints rejected is by no means a rare occurrance.

Mark L.

My daughter. She hasn't been reprined yet as she's away at school so she'll have to go next vacation. Same deal - the had trouble getting a good print and then the State Police advised the print wasn' good enough.

When I got printed for my FID, the lady doing it said I had awful fingers for it because my fingertips sweat or something

When I went for mine the lady doing all the processing had me wait for a day a specific person was in to do the fingerprints. Like she told me some people are betting at getting good prints than others. Figures when I went in to get mine done the person she wanted to do them stepped out. Someone else did them and it went through fine, no problems.

In my experiences, when it was someone who was clearly experienced in doing ink- based prints, they were usually quick and efficient at getting things done. However, when I needed a print-based background check- the school district insisted on using their new digital system- which took about 20 minutes for one set of prints- the woman would just sit there and tell you if your print was accepted or not. It seemed like a major PITA to me, considering I offered to drive over to the sheriffs office and ask for a paper copy of my prints to give to her.
I also find it amazing that the school district with a ton of budget problems has a digital finger print scan system while no law enforcement agency in the state does.

I had that problem too when renewing my LTC-A. Very shallow ridges. It took a few tries, as well as trying different fingers, before the machine could get a decent image of the prints.

It came up once again when I purchased a new gun back in Jul/Aug. The machine at the shop couldn't pick up my print so they had to use my PIN #. Good thing I happened to remember to my PIN #.

This was a digital fingerprint scanner, bigger than the laptop setup dwarven1 spoke of. It's a floor-standing console back in the lockup that gives three attempts to scan a print, and after the third failure, the officer can choose to manually accept it. That happened 9/10 times with her. After taking the prints, it spit out a hard copy on a card, and I assume that is what went to whatever agency rejected them.

[laugh2] Well, here's the guilty party with her bike:

faithfjr1.jpg

The Identix readers have optical sensors that need to be "tuned" for the lighting conditions in play at the time they are used. If the reader device gets moved around from location to location, and they don't get retuned, that compounds problems.

A simple thing to do if you fail to get a good print on the first try is to wipe your index finger on your forehead. You pick up a little bit of body oil by doing this, and it's less extreme than using moisturizer out of a bottle.

Of course, you end up wondering just what in the world might actually be ON those readers....

My company resells the exact same Identix readers to hospitals. I talk with that company 2 to 3 times a week.

Back
Top Bottom