Why aren't you out shooting on this beautiful day

i know some members get peeved but i heard a bit recently from a PCS guy that the pistol ranges "are pretty much done". makes the drive up there not really worth it..

Sorry but I can't make heads or tails of what you are saying in this post.

Don't know what a PCS guy is?

Not sure what you mean by ". . . the pistol ranges 'are pretty much done'" but I was the RO on duty at BR&P on Saturday and can assure you that not a shovel has been lifted on those ranges since they were closed last July. In fact the Planning Chairman was meeting with a contractor up there on Saturday.

What I can say is that they are working on getting engineering drawings ready to give to interested contractors so that all the bids received will be comparing apples to apples.

Since it hasn't gone out to bid yet (I know it was promised to be imminent for many months now), the work won't be done any time soon. It's planned to be an extensive and total rebuild of both pistol ranges from what I heard (at the meeting, I'm not involved in it in any way) and they are planning on doing away with the 7.5yd shooting positions entirely. [crying] I'm guessing that the nearest shooting distance will be 15 yds or so. I raised my concerns about that at the meeting, that defensive shooting practice is done at 7 yds (Tueller Drill) or less . . . but I was a lone voice in the wilderness.

I took my mom to the range today, or yesterday now, and she had a great time shooting my scoped 10/22, shot quite well I might add! NRA pistol class is coming next month, and her first purchase will probably follow shortly. [smile]

PCS = plymoth county sheriff.. at a recent meeting he said the latest scuttlebutt was that the outdoor pistol ranges were never going to be opened again.. and my vagueness was secondary to the usual backlash for talking about BR&P buisness in this forum.. and i was there saturday and it was a great day... my concern is that i have to shoot pistols indoors there from now on...

Thanks. No the pistol ranges will reopen. All ground-mounted target stands will be removed and the target hangers will hang from the overhead baffles only. The club anticipates that this will cost high 5-figures to low 6-figures and they want to be certain that it gets done "right" so that there will be no further problems that even might be attributable to the club.

I'm going to miss the 7.5yd range badly . . . but look forward to having an outdoor range again at Braintree. I'll just be spending more time shooting at Mansfield F&G to make up for the lack of a suitable self-defense range at Braintree.

A month or so ago, the president of BR&P gave me the OK to post info on the range status. Until then we were asked not to do so.

so it should be called the braintree rifle and rifle club. sorry... i'm just really disappointed cuz the pistol range is why i joined.. . .. no need to drive up for a 100yd rifle range...

so it should be called the braintree rifle and rifle club. sorry... i'm just really disappointed cuz the pistol range is why i joined.. . .. no need to drive up for a 100yd rifle range...

Just a suggestion, you may want to try Holbrook Sportsmanship club or our club Mansfield Fish and Game. Both have pistol ranges.

i appreciate it.. where is a club that has a decent outdoor pistol range that allows holster draw and perhaps steel plates?

Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club in Boylston has two great outdoor pistol ranges, and allows steel if you bring your own targets and stands. The web site is www.wprclub.com.

Why are you all here?
I wasn't. When you posted this, I was in Throop, NY, on a private range (farmer just built a shooting shelter on a long, narrow section of land that he owns and stuck an ammo can out there with a sign that reads "$3 / day to shoot".), teaching 26 Americans how to shoot, and what happened 234 years ago on April 19th. I was ably assisted by two Instructors in Training, Brian and Ed (they're not on NES, I don't think). Just doing our part to bail out the sinking ship that we call the US.

And on Sunday I even got to shoot an AQT and a Redcoat! But even better was watching all the new shooters progress. You could smell the Freedom in the air. [grin] [grin]

they are planning on doing away with the 7.5yd shooting positions entirely. [crying] I'm guessing that the nearest shooting distance will be 15 yds or so. I raised my concerns about that at the meeting, that defensive shooting practice is done at 7 yds (Tueller Drill) or less . . . but I was a lone voice in the wilderness.
I know it's a hike for you, Len, but you can always join Harvard - we've got a nice 7 yard range! AND you can shoot from the draw! Feel free to come as my guest sometime.

i appreciate it.. where is a club that has a decent outdoor pistol range that allows holster draw and perhaps steel plates?
Harvard Sportsman's Club has plates, multiple outdoor ranges and allows holster draw. The main short range is a 7/25/50 yard range. Plus half a dozen or more "action pits", an NFA range, 100, 200 and 300 yard rifle ranges, archery and shotgun ranges.

I'll have to add to what my esteemed colleague says about Harvard. Nice ranges at a nice club, and something for everybody. Some of the pits are small enough for you to get some shooting in, without a long firing line fule of other shooters.

I'm down for the next 2 weeks (alteast) from getting my tonsils removed. While it's not out in the fields with a rifle, I do have the break barrel pellet rifle set up on the kitchen table, and some targets out on the back would pile (about 50 yards). It's a nice sunny day, no wind, and I'm going to have to slip in another tin of pellets onto the grocery list somehow. Could be worse I guess.

Zombies don't stand a chance

Took my M-44 out to play at the new range today. I forgot how loud that thing is. I'd fire a shot and then the echo would bounce off the hills tow or three times.

Anyway I was practicing my standing offhand 100 yard headshots:
zombie100yd.jpg

[smile][smile] Thank you Appleseed ! [smile][smile]

Oh yeah, the fireballs were pretty cool too, no video though. [sad]
Ya hadda be there. [wink]

Took my M-44 out to play at the new range today. I forgot how loud that thing is. I'd fire a shot and then the echo would bounce off the hills tow or three times.

Anyway I was practicing my standing offhand 100 yard headshots:
zombie100yd.jpg

[smile][smile] Thank you Appleseed ! [smile][smile]

Oh yeah, the fireballs were pretty cool too, no video though. [sad]
Ya hadda be there. [wink]

Nice shooting!! Man, I can't even see 100 yards never mind shoot it.

Ross, thanks but Harvard is just too far away, >50 miles and ~1 hour each way. It is a great facility and if I lived somewhere near it, I would join it.

I can practice whatever I want at Mansfield, so that fills that billet and it's only ~15 minutes away.

There were 4 of us on the 50 yd range and 3 others on the 100 yd range at MF&G yesterday. It was a great day to be out shooting.

Back
Top Bottom