Who uses Mag lights?

I've got a bunch of D-cell clubs and love em. The AA ones without the LED pretty much suck.
I keep one on each floor of my house on a wall clip and one in each vehicle tucked under the driver's seat (they always fit so nicely under there). I've had one in my car for as long as I have been driving. Most are upgraded to the LEDs. They don't get used much as I usually have a light on me and have much better ones to go to if I have the time, but they are there if I need them. I keep Fenix's for most uses.

It is the only light my wife won't loose...

I've got a bunch of D-cell clubs and love em. The AA ones without the LED pretty much suck.
I keep one on each floor of my house on a wall clip and one in each vehicle tucked under the driver's seat (they always fit so nicely under there). I've had one in my car for as long as I have been driving. Most are upgraded to the LEDs. They don't get used much as I usually have a light on me and have much better ones to go to if I have the time, but they are there if I need them. I keep Fenix's for most uses.

It is the only light my wife won't loose...

My wife "misplaced" our 4-cell MagLite...A year ago.... [thinking]

Imagine Palladin on Warrifles - ran his for weeks..[wink] That's pretty amazing for old batteries. That being said, my C-cell magLite gets used constantly and it's had the same batteries on deck for over a year and it's just now getting dim enough to change them....

And it doesn't get warm either. There really is good light coming out of this thing as we speak 80+ hours later and I can't believe it. Now that the house is dark it is much brighter than I first estimated. Do you primarily favor Mags or do you have a lot of lights? Favorites?

And it doesn't get warm either. There really is good light coming out of this thing as we speak 80+ hours later and I can't believe it. Now that the house is dark it is much brighter than I first estimated. Do you primarily favor Mags or do you have a lot of lights? Favorites?

Yeah, the LED units that people complained got hot were not MagLites - they run pretty cool. I have a lot of MagLites - mostly because of the LED upgrades. Like you, I was thinking about getting rid of mine, but it seemed a shame. I am an admitted flashlight junkie, though I have very few high end lights outside of my Liotec Hunter and my SureFire 6P with a P60L upgrade. I have found that even Coast, Brinkman and Dorcy LED lights are just fine and won't break the bank either. These days, spending $100.00 or more on a light has become something of a want more than a need. Between my back/day packs, my ATV's, car, laptop case, camping box, etc - I have flashlights everywhere - from cranklights to rechargables...

Does anyone know about LED replacements for other flashlights. I have TeraLux bulbs in all my Mag lights, but I have a Hitachi rechargeable flashlight that came with a cordless drill. It just has a incandescent bulb but this thread got me thinking about a LED. Looked around on the web, but could not find anything. Any recommendations on where to look?

B

I was also wondering about the Maglight LED upgrade in other lights. If it is a straight swap for a bulb, it "should" work anywhere, right? We have a decent cheapo light with a good reflector and a nice push button and lanyard for walking at night. If an LED went it this thing, it would be perfect.

In fact, though the flashlights from BlackBear here look great, they are too much for me, but some of the improvements like the reflector might be worth a look. Adding the LED functionality would be another plus. Finally, finding some rechargeable C and D batteries would be the icing on the cake. I can only seem to find AA and AAA rechargeables at Walmart and Home Depot and any of the hardware stores around. I still like the cheapo "MILLION CANDLEPOWER" yellow handheld spotlights also, though they are too big to take walking, they are nice to go to the field at the end of the street and look for animals at night with the kids.

Yes, the Maglites as regular flashlights in incandescent form are obsolete. However you put the 3 watt LED bulb by Maglite in them and they will compete with any of the others more expensive pocket lights and they have much better throw due to the 2" reflector.

When the Maglites come out in the 80's they cost at $60 each and were hard to get. That they cost now at $20 is a miracle of new manufacture techniques.
The new Maglites coming out of the factory in the last two years have a much better fit and finish and really tight tolerances, the new lights are quite waterproof now.

When a Maglite really "shines" is when it is modified to be rechargeable and ultra powerful, like in my line of black bear lights, the Borealis 1050 lumens been one example of them.

I use a new modified switch/bulb holder for high temperatures, aluminum reflector, Pyrex lens, and a 9 place battery holder for rechargeable NIMH batteries, which produce a voltage of 12 volts and drive a super-bulb to 1050 lumens (2 million candlepower).

The Borealis will outshine and out throw all the military/police flashlights in use today.
Take for example the darling of SWAT and Special Forces, the Surefire M-6 (500 lumens for 20 minutes running on 6 disposable batteries at $12 for 20 minutes ~a $400 light~)

REGULAR MAGLITE AT 30 YARDS

2dkripton.jpg

SUREFIRE M-6 (500 LUMENS)

suremesixli.jpg

BOREALIS 1050 LUMENS RECHARGEABLE

borealisluz.jpg

And of course, a Maglite 3 D or a Borealis at 12 1/2" long and 28 oz. is a weapon in disguise and complete legal, I sell many of them in the UK and other countries where knives or gun are not permitted and the citizens need some protection.

In this picture from left to right: A Maglite 3D 39 lumens, a Magcharger 200 lumens a Streamlight Ultra Stinger 295 lumens, a Surefire M-6 500 lumens and a Borealis 1050 lumens rechargeable.

contenderslig.jpg

Cheers
Black Bear

Black bear - thanks - I always enjoy your posts on lights. One of these days I'm going to upgrade my 4-cell MagLite (if I ever find it again), to something surreal like your Borealis. I think that would be a hoot. Nothing like pulling out a MagLite and turning on the sun...[shocked]

Back
Top Bottom