Who said you can't cc a 1911?

The question is...why would you want to carry a 1911 for self defense in the first place?

Because it's slim, reliable, fires a powerful cartridge, has adequate capacity, a single action trigger, can be built and customized exactly how you want it by a plethora of competent gunsmiths. What's not to like?

Last edited by a moderator:
Because it's slim, reliable, fires a powerful cartridge, has adequate capacity, a single action trigger, can be built and customized exactly how you want it by a plethora of competent gunsmiths. What's not to like?

When you say powerful...I assume you're referring to the knock down power of the .45 ACP correct?

No disrespect to my betters , but how many self defense shootings require more than 300 rounds ?
I'm sort of planning on maybe 3 mags , before I go looking for a rifle.

I see what you're doing, and will not fall for it.

Good man. My question being, why spend WELL over $1000 to make a gun "reliable" when something like an M&P, or glock can be had for less than $500 and will run all day long?

My M&P Shield is slim, reliable, fires a powerful cartridge, has adequate capacity, a crisp double action trigger, and can be customized exactly how I want it by a plethora of competent gunsmiths. I only spent $500 for it :)

Good man. My question being, why spend WELL over $1000 to make a gun "reliable" when something like an M&P, or glock can be had for less than $500 and will run all day long?

My M&P Shield is slim, reliable, fires a powerful cartridge, has adequate capacity, a crisp double action trigger, and can be customized exactly how I want it by a plethora of competent gunsmiths. I only spent $500 for it :)

I haven't had a chance to fire the Shield, but it looks like a great carry gun from what I've read about it and seen in your videos.

Why spend at least twice the money for a well-tuned 1911? Because you love 1911s and it's worth it to you.

I carry my R1 1911 with a custom made iwb it's very comfortable, I like knowing I can put my shots in the same hole unlike my .38,I have a thick belt but what belt is the best for a gun belt? I'm looking for a new one but I'm undecided on what to get.

A Sistema Modulo 1927 (an Argentinian Colt 1911), the Best Belt and a UBG Canute holster make a VERY comfortable carry rig.

The BEST belt, naturally!

The question is...why would you want to carry a 1911 for self defense in the first place?

Yeah, after all it sucked so bad for the US Army for 75 years. And another 25 with various groups in the US armed forces that didn't want a 9mm. Why would you want a piece of crap that's so horrible that it's been manufactured longer than any other handgun in existence?

My M&P Shield is slim, reliable, fires a powerful cartridge, [rofl2] has adequate capacity, a crisp double action trigger, and can be customized exactly how I want it by a plethora of competent gunsmiths. I only spent $500 for it :)

Gee... I spent $520 for my Sistema and $575 for my Officer's Model. Now, true, both were used. And I did spend $100 to get new sights put on the Sistema. And I did buy more magazines for the Officer's Model. Oddly enough, they run flawlessly, have "adequate" capacity (8+1 and 7+1) and hit what I point them at.

Why do you think that a 1911 is unreliable?

I bought my stainless 1911 Government for $550 and haven't modified it in any way. I have just over 2600 rounds through it with not a single hitch. I regularly carry my M&P full size, compact, and my CZ75 compact but the 1911 has always been a go to favorite.

Unless you're buying Para or Kimber garbage, I dont see why anyone is having to invest this kind of money to make their 1911 reliable....

Why do you think that a 1911 is unreliable?

[rofl]

Don't get me started. I could produce a 48 minute, Jack Rebney style video (eg, winnebago man, angriest man alive) about how completely and utterly ****ed up the 1911 is. To say I have a love/hate relationship with the platform is an understatement.

Yet I own two of them. And still want to buy more. There are obviously good reasons for that, too. They have merits not quite yet achievable by other handguns.

-Mike

( ... not allowed to say this out loud around here but ) I have a Para with well over 10k of rounds through it. ... They say it's unpossible ...

I'm sure it is. I bet it's not a warthog though, and I bet yours is a single stack commander or full size.

-Mike

GI style 1911's with loose tolerances will tolerate a fair amount of abuse, some were in service for well over 50 years. The Remington Rand I was issued was four years older than me. The trade off is accuracy. The looser the fit the less accurate the 1911.

I really love and respect the 1911, but there is a cult around them. There are better designs and frankly if Jeff Cooper hadn't developed modern pistolcraft the 1911 would have been declared obsolete decades ago. I love the ergonomics and the arched mainspring housing and short trigger makes the 1911 fit my hand like a glove. I have never felt that I was inadequately armed with a 1911 and own several of them.

Having said that, I do not regularly carry a 1911 preferring instead a revolver (yep a wheel gun) or a DA Auto in any configuration (traditional DA, DAO or striker fired) simply because swiping off the safety is one more potential point of failure. When I present the weapon I want it to be able to fire with a pull of the trigger. Traditional double action (long pull for 1st shot, SA pull for subsequent shots) has never bothered me as I learned to fire this type of semi-auto before I knew it was supposed to be harder to master than an SA auto. My main carry guns today are a S&W MP45 (with trigger job) a Sig P229 in .40 S&W, (also have a .357 Sig barrel), S&W M22 Thunder Ranch .45ACP Revolver (yes you can carry an N frame S&W concealed) and a J frame S&W 38 spl. Draw point/aim, shoot, no safeties to worry about except the one between my ears !!!

I also love the Browning Hi-Power (maybe even more than the 1911) but again that pesky safety keeps me from carrying one on a regular basis (and no I don't feel that the 9mm is an inadequate self-defense cartridge).

YMMV

Last edited:
In my case, I got to come in a complete newbie to all guns and make an untainted assessment. Over many months I tried just about everything from Sig, Glock, S&W and there were some 1911's in there. I read research that shows that .22's are every bit as effective as a .50 for "stopping the bad guy" (being a self defense instructor, that's the only reason I'm in this game). I'm not a small guy standing 6'2" and tipping the scales at 215, but I couldn't fathom dealing with the added weight that the 1911 seemed to carry when any polymer gun does the same job. I am keeping a very open mind and reading every resource I can, but it seems to holding onto antiquity for no particularly good reason. If I were going to do that, I'd focus on training with a sword a lot more :)

Well i have to say being new to guns i had no idea that so many people concealed carried a 1911 or full sized pistols

I had read about people not being comfortable with full sized pistol carry, and With all the talk about what would be a good pocket carry and compact pistols, i figured the 1911 was not going to be a good choice gun for concealed carry,

i had almost reconsidered getting my 1911 as a first gun because with all the new people moving in around me, and a 40B going up most likely next door, there has been alot more unknown people waking around my area, and with my neighbors house recently getting broken into a concealable pistol was a must have. But i dont feel comfortable with a compact or pocket carry pistol,

my mother has a very small poket carry .22 and it would get the job done if need be, but i just dont like it or how it feels, and as someone with exsperince once exsplaned if you dont feel comfortable with your pistol you shouldn't be concealed carrying with it,

I feel very comfortable with the size, grip and sights on my 1911, i can hit what I'm aiming At too,
so i took on what i though would be a challenge of finding a way to comfortably carry a 1911 concealed, and it turned out not bad at all, and with all the new holsters out there it would seem to be just a task of figuring what i liked best for me with how i wanted to carry.

. I'm not a small guy standing 6'2" and tipping the scales at 215, but I couldn't fathom dealing with the added weight that the 1911 seemed to carry when any polymer gun does the same job.

I carry tools all the time on my belt or in my side pokets so having a heavy gun on my side dose not bother me one bit, its kinda the norm for me. Its not for everyone though but i feel realy comfortable using and carrying the 1911, maybe i am a bit old school but i like the look and feel of the stainless over the polymer guns a bit more too, but thats just me

Carrying a 1911 as a self-defense gun is kinda like driving a 50 year old classic restored car as a daily driver to get you kids to school, your wife home with the groceries and you to/from work. Can you do it? Maybe... but WHY?

You can make all the "carburetors are tried and true!" and "it was good enough for my grand-dad" bravado bull**** statements you want... but, since you really need your car to work everyday, you probably drive fuel injected, modern automobiles. If you really needed your gun every day, you'd probably think about it differently...

Carrying a 1911 as a self-defense gun is kinda like driving a 50 year old classic restored car as a daily driver to get you kids to school, your wife home with the groceries and you to/from work. Can you do it? Maybe... but WHY?

You can make all the "carburetors are tried and true!" and "it was good enough for my grand-dad" bravado bull**** statements you want... but, since you really need your car to work everyday, you probably drive fuel injected, modern automobiles. If you really needed your gun every day, you'd probably think about it differently...

Worst. Metaphor. Ever.

I thought it was an "analogy"... but I gets those mixed up sometimes...

What I don't get mixed up is what guns actually work most of the time in the hands of thousands of students during thousands of days of training over the last 20 years.... specifically the thousands of guns in the hands of thousands of students over the past decade as a full time instructor averaging over 40 classes a year.

This should get interesting when the 60+ crowd rolls in after their afternoon naps. [grin]

I always advocate carrying what you are most familiar with, this usually is the weapon that the person is most proficient with. Which is why I sling carry my 16" Noveske around work.

What I don't get mixed up is what guns actually work most of the time in the hands of thousands of students during thousands of days of training over the last 20 years.... specifically the thousands of guns in the hands of thousands of students over the past decade as a full time instructor averaging over 40 classes a year.

Actually, you did use "like," making it a bad analogy.

ETA: No, that's a simile. Damn it.

Last edited:

Actualy my everyday summer driver is carbureted and it never fails to start, unlike my fuel injected work van that has, so.........

Confirmation bias is a possible explanation. It can get worse with experience and training with like minded people. Do you count 1911 failures as meaningful and Glock failures as a fluke?

What % of students in your classes use 1911s? If it is very low, you might subconsciously give more weight to any failures of the "special" guns.

Also, do your students clean their guns after a certain number of rounds?

Back
Top Bottom