Who here replaces standard AR mag followers with aftermarket ones?

I've heard a lot about how normal followers end up tilting and interrupting proper feeding. Does anyone here advocate replacing the followers? I saw some Magpul generation 3 followers for sale and I'm planning to order other things from that place too, so I might as well do it at once ($2 apiece?)

My preban USGI mags have green followers, are those already the anti-tilt type?

Last edited:
I've heard a lot about how normal followers end up tilting and interrupting proper feeding. Does anyone here advocate replacing the followers? I saw some Magpul generation 3 followers for sale and I'm planning to order other things from that place too, so I might as well do it at once ($2 apiece?)

My preban USGI mags have green followers, are those already the anti-tilt type?

The green followers are anti-tilt, but IMHO they aren't the BEST. i only replace the followers if they are causing a problem. I only had to replace 2 of my mags because of this. Magpul makes excellent followers that don't tilt. Anti-tilt followers do increase reliability, but only when you mag is unreliable.

I replaced mine ages ago with the anti-tilt followers.

Did they need them? Probably not (I didn't have any feeding issues with the original followers).

For the average civilian/shooter, it's a minor concern, but since they only cost a buck or two, why not replace them?

Plus... the bright orange ones look downright spiffy with black mag bodies. [smile]

As a precaution, definitely go for them because they make the mags way more reliable for really cheap. They are like $3/each so it makes sense to do it anyway. Thanks, LoginName because you just convinced me to just change them all instead of waiting to see if they ever have a problem.

1. Load Mags With Good Ammo
  2. Insert Into Magwell
  3. Pull Charging Handle - Release
  4. Switch Safety To Fire
  5. Pull Trigger
  6. Repeat

If the magazine functions, do not replace follower. If the magazine fails, replace follower. I have USGI mags with black followers that run and run and run. There have been no issues in many thousands of rounds. A friend sent me a few green followers and I installed them in the magazines with no appreciable difference, as the mags were fine to begin with....[grin]

Mine are almost 100% magpuls. Basically, "just because I can". I look at
them as cheap insurance.

-Mike

Absolutely spend the money and buy MagPul followers. They will not tilt, because they cannot tilt due to their design.

Barring a weak spring or dented body, your mags will be 110% reliable.

I did every AR mag I own with them and it was the best money I ever spent on any AR accessory.

1. Load Mags With Good Ammo
  2. Insert Into Magwell
  3. Pull Charging Handle - Release
  4. Switch Safety To Fire
  5. Pull Trigger
  6. Repeat

If the magazine functions, do not replace follower. If the magazine fails, replace follower. I have USGI mags with black followers that run and run and run. There have been no issues in many thousands of rounds. A friend sent me a few green followers and I installed them in the magazines with no appreciable difference, as the mags were fine to begin with....[grin]

Get a hold of a MagPul follower and look how its designed. No other follower on the market is like it. Any follwer that can tilt and fail may do so at some point. A MagPul cannot tilt therefore it never will. Cheap insurance against possible failure when you might need it most.

I was having all kinds of feeding problems with my USGI mags. I replaced all the springs and followers with magpul, and haven't had a problem since. Dunno if it was the new springs or the followers that made the difference though...

I purchased followers and baseplates, but since I've never had any issues with any of my magazines, I have not installed them. I'll probably add to the 'parts' collection over time (including springs) just so that I have the spares on hand just like I keep parts kits on hand. Since anything AR can be banned at the stroke of a pen, I feel it's best to be well stocked.

Replaced the ones on my 30s, but not the metal Colt 20s.
I probably didn't need to change the ones on the 30s, just keep good springs in them, but I followed all the hype at the time.

They say the 20s are perfect as is.

I ordered 12 of them, for 11 30 rounders (for which I do not currently have a rifle available)

I'll probably replace the follower of the most beat up of the bunch (it has an old black follower) but I'll leave the greens until there are issues with them.

Back
Top Bottom