• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which state?

Anybody have any opinions on Southern Oxford county in ME (towns like Hiram, Standish, Baldwin, etc.)? Or Northern York county (Parsonsfield, Limington, Limerick, etc.). Any input on living in the area, people, things to do, amenities, etc, would be appreciated.

I would be looking at property that would have enough space to shoot on my land, but do you think it would also make sense to check if there are any town ordinances or local restrictions (or am I just being to MA paranoid in my thinking)?

And I would still be looking to find a good range and/or club to join. Anybody know any in the area?

I would be looking at property that would have enough space to shoot on my land, but do you think it would also make sense to check if there are any town ordinances or local restrictions (or am I just being to MA paranoid in my thinking)?

I don't think you are being paranoid.

My wife and I were born and raised in MA. We are looking to get out (though the Cape will always be my home). It always comes back to GA, TN, and AZ. Admittedly, I am nervous about the heat, as winter is in my blood.

Arizona...Phoenix/Scottsdale/Chandler area. Would move tomorrow if the wife would green light it.

I love it out there. Even at 110, I'll take that dry heat of 90 and humid here. Drive a few hours north to Sedona a few hours more to Grand Canyon and still have skiing in Flagstaff in winter.

I'd miss the ocean a bit but I could always take beach vacations every year.

Congrats. Where in Texas?

Around Dallas somewhere. Exactly where depends on where my husband lands a job. Next week my business will be sold and he currently has 4 interviews lined up and he received another call this evening for another position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations and best wishes on your move!

Around Dallas somewhere. Exactly where depends on where my husband lands a job. Next week my business will be sold and he currently has 4 interviews lined up and he received another call this evening for another position.

The panhandle of Florida since that is where I own property.

Just need the kid to get out of school and hopefully I will never set foot in NE again.

How do you like the panhandle?

Love it. That is were I grew up. The last time I was there I did not even recognize Destin as it had built up so much (though I did not grow up in Destin). When I was a bus boy at a hotel there it was a one stop light town and the hotel was the biggest there. Now you cannot even see it as it is hidden by the big condos that are there.

Wayside park is gone which used to be the BIG party area and now I think there is a restaurant or something there.

I would be be closer to Pensacola where I would be going though. About 2 minutes from the East Bay, 5 from the sound and 10 from the gulf.

Love it. That is were I grew up. The last time I was there I did not even recognize Destin as it had built up so much (though I did not grow up in Destin). When I was a bus boy at a hotel there it was a one stop light town and the hotel was the biggest there. Now you cannot even see it as it is hidden by the big condos that are there.

Wayside park is gone which used to be the BIG party area and now I think there is a restaurant or something there.

I would be be closer to Pensacola where I would be going though. About 2 minutes from the East Bay, 5 from the sound and 10 from the gulf.

So, hurricanes are gonna be your new best friend??

So, hurricanes are gonna be your new best friend??

Yeah, they come in how often? Winter comes here every year.

I will take flat land in a wheelchair over winter and this terrain in a wheelchair everyday and twice on Sunday.

Plus I have lived through there before so I am not worried about it.

Last edited:

Congrats, and good luck.

I'll be leaving my state when I retire. Which really sucks because post-divorce I find myself in a nice house with good neighbors and my FFL side business is doing well in the new location.
I'll most likely be looking out West, not sure which state. Not west coast, but some place like Wyoming or down into the Southwest. I need seasons, not a big fan of places like FL with permanent summer.

Man, being a prepared family and deciding to move SUCKS!

I have packed over 80 boxes and I have dozens of buckets too. I also have all my home canned goods (and spare jars) to be concerned about. Not too sure how well they will travel the 1800+ miles. Last time I packed them all in my minivan and I moved them. That's not going to happen this time.

I also have to empty out my freezer so I am eating lots of chicken and ground pork. Trying hard not to buy meat from the grocery store so I get all of this meat eaten. And it's also very weird to be emptying my freezer! We have been very reliant on our frozen and stored foods since my husband lost his job in January so I have no doubt that my freezer will be emptied in time. But man, it's weird to not be buying to replace any of it!

Congrats on the move and I hope your husband lands a nice job in TX! Are you doing a self move with rental trucks or hiring a company? I've done the drive Coast to Coast twice, if you are traveling with other people bring comms, there is no cell reception for what seems like 50% of the voyage.

Congrats on the move and I hope your husband lands a nice job in TX! Are you doing a self move with rental trucks or hiring a company? I've done the drive Coast to Coast twice, if you are traveling with other people bring comms, there is no cell reception for what seems like 50% of the voyage.

We are using Upack. They will drop a 28' trailer at the house for 3 business days. Drop it on a Thursday or Friday and you get the weekend days free. You can use as little or as much space as you need and pay just for what you use. I actually calculated using their pods and the trailer was cheaper and more flexible. I compared it to Pods and Uhaul and they were all fairly comparable given cost per cubic foot. (And that's if you believe Uhaul's stated gas mileage) Big upside is we don't have to haul it. Plus for $395 they will store it for a month. Hopefully we will be into a house by middle of July since until we find something we will all be crammed into a studio.

Back
Top Bottom