• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which state?

Arizona in a 2010 snonwstorm:

9160286-large.jpg

I kind of like rednecks, but sometimes they can't get past the fact that I'm a damned Yankee.

I do have family from the south, though, including one whose name is on a bridge in Virginia.
Yup it can snow anywhere, but I would love to be somewhere where it was a fluke and not a weekly occurrence. i spent a little time down south and they are still fighting the civil war down there.

Yup it can snow anywhere, but I would love to be somewhere where it was a fluke and not a weekly occurrence. i spent a little time down south and they are still fighting the civil war down there.

You mean the War of Northern Aggression? [laugh]

I apologize, PennyPincher - my humor is in danger of derailing your thread. I'll be good now.

(Chet - just kidding about the WNA thing)

Last edited:
North Carolina, near the outer banks, cost of living is cheaper, weather is better than here,personal freedoms are much much better there

North Carolina, near the outer banks, cost of living is cheaper, weather is better than here,personal freedoms are much much better there

Cost of living almost everywhere is cheaper than here in New England.
Use this to see what your salary here would buy you elsewhere.
http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

Also here is a Freedom in the 50 States ranking done by William Ruger and Jason Sorens (Jason is the originator of the idea which launched the FSP).
http://freedominthe50states.org/
North and South Dakota are #1 & #2 respectively.
Tennessee, which a lot of people mentioned is #3. NH is 4th and Oklahoma is 5th.

Last edited:
Nh seems like the laws are great on more then just guns and defense. Only problem might be work as a machinist. I actually am planning this is this what it really is like this.
https://freestateproject.org/about/101-reasons-move-new-hampshire

Spelling destroyed by tapatalk

I've looked into it.
Best bet is move near the nh / mass line. More north you go the machinist pay rate goes down.
Also the shops get spread out more so if you get laid off you might be driving a good distance for the new job. I had a bunch of friends move to nh that went to a voc high school with me . Most of them moved back to mass since they could earn more.

1. TX South of Austin North of SA - New Braunfels / Canyon Lake area

2. Eastern TN possibly NW of Chatt towards Nashville

YES I LIVED IN BOTH THESE AREAS

Option 3 in my opinion Greenville, SC area edge of mountains

Weather, quality of life, cost of living, change of season in TN/SC without too many extremes, FREEDOMS

for those who want warm, the best climate is san diego, but that is CA...

The other warm weather states are really warm in the summer. Ever been to FL in the summer, it is like the 3 day heat waves we get here with temps over 90 and humidity over 70%, but it is EVERY DAY. A steam room.

GA, SC, NC etc. come pretty close to that.

AZ in the summer? Instead of being in a steam bath like the east coast gets, its like a suana. LIttle humidity, but temps really at 110.

I kind of like rednecks, but sometimes they can't get past the fact that I'm a damned Yankee.

You're only a dammed Yankee if you move south and don't leave. :)

I've already piped up with my biased support for tennessee. If things don't work out here, which is looking more and more likely, I'm headed back there.

I've always liked PA. Lately I've given thought to NM mainly because of the weather. AZ is too hot in the summer. San Diego has the best climate in the world but CA is ruined as much as I like it. I used to really love NE but the liabilities now outweigh the assets. Except for the best health care in the US, there is little for me here anymore. VT and NH are great but I can't see myself living there. There are nice places down South but just a little too much bible thumping for my taste.

Things haven't really worked out the way I wanted them to here in MA since I retired from the Army 17 years ago. Really ready to move on. I know more about the .gov of this state and how it really operates and maybe that's part of the problem.

Having been to all but 15 of these United States and at least 24 countries during my corporate training time, I'll take Aruba. In the US, Arizona.

Looks like Chet and I are moving together. [smile]

Tennessee, but I'm biased. :) Personal freedom is a lot better there. Job opportunities are pretty fair, depending on your profession. Weather is nice. Winters aren't bad and the summer is tolerable with central AC. The people are *much* nicer and friendlier than in the north east. You have to deal with some religious fruitloops, but they're well-intentioned.

This.

I could do without the insane amounts of snow, but I'd stay right where I am now in NH. I'm not sure where else I'd want to live in. The south is too hot and has giant bugs. California has earthquakes, fires, mudslides and statists galore. Texas has some appeal but there's a lot of bad stuff that keeps happening there and I'm not convinced it is on a path towards more freedom. Anything else near the Mexican border has too many illegals. Montana and Wyoming... I'm sure the beauty is amazing but I'm not sure what's there other than vast expanses of wilderness. Florida might be interesting, but the hurricanes make me nervous.

I traveled all but two states in the U.S.

I would put Alaska on the top. Cabin in the woods. Fishing, hunting, hiking and stacks of cord wood. Living simple with no neighbors for miles.

The other two would be Arizona and Wyoming.

New England would be a blur if I could move to any of theses places.

I'd go back to Florida. Only lived there for 2 years, but I miss it. Good on gun laws, no income tax, I hate the winter and don't mind the summer heat and humidity. And for the most part, the cost of living is much better.

This is a tough one. Unfortunately, all the places my bride would choose(Hawaii, California) are on my no-fly list, and all of my choices are on hers. I would need to vet this, but Coastal Oregon might be okay, or maybe Idaho.

I'd want someplace with good personal freedom, weather that is warmer than here, and a lower cost of living. Unfortunately, when you start talking to people about places like Coastal Oregon, you hear stories like the Cape or Nantucket, where everyone is either a drunk, a heroin addict, or on meth. There are some damned depressing places out there that look pretty from a distance.

I lived in NV for a few years and really liked it, however...Vegas is a moral and cultural cesspool, and the school systems are horrible.

Let's see.
Not NY
Not CT
Not NJ
Not MD
Not CA
Not MA
Probably not RI
NH is an option I'm trying to exercise, but this winter....wtf.
I'd like a seacoast state, so if west coast, maybe oregon.
I liked SC for climate, but don't know enough yet.

Any place it is has to have some land, and summers not too brutal

Let's see.
Not NY
Not CT
Not NJ
Not MD
Not CA
Not MA
Probably not RI
I'd like a seacoast state, so if west coast, maybe Oregon.

Buncha granola munching tree huggers in Oregon. However it does have some stunning natural resources, hiking, etc.

Well, the truth is, job is my #1 issue and I don't see myself getting a gig that's anywhere close to what I have in MA now so MA it is.
In the worst case scenario get a small place in NH over the border and store all my guns there.

TX. Really like the Austin - Lake Travis area, San Antonio - Northwest, Houston - The Woodlands (but pricey). The economy is very strong, always ranks in top spots to live, and they won't ever surrender your gun rights.

TX. Really like the Austin - Lake Travis area, San Antonio - Northwest, Houston - The Woodlands (but pricey). The economy is very strong, always ranks in top spots to live, and they won't ever surrender your gun rights.

All those rights...

If family considerations were not an issue, South Dakota, Nebraska or Wyoming in the Black Hills area (pheasant country); Northern Utah near the Colorado border; or a couple of areas in Pennsylvania (lived southeast of Pittsburgh for a number of years) have some family in and around Chester County. If I had to go south, probably South Carolina (western part) or the Oklahoma-Kansas-Arkansas-Missouri border area. Maybe west Texas-New Mexico area (might be a bit too hot in the summer though).

Let's see.
Not NY
Not CT
Not NJ
Not MD
Not CA
Not MA
Probably not RI
I'd like a seacoast state, so if west coast, maybe oregon.

My wife and I are quite seriously evaluating leaving here. The only debt we have is our mortgage, and that's on schedule to be paid off in seven years. I can accelerate that to pay off in five. Given the crap that's coming down the pike, we're planning now.

We have a list of priorities, a list of Must Haves, a list of wants.
South Carolina looks pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom