• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which chemical suits...Need help on filters and related...

What are you trying to prep for? Most filters have a limited life so you are going to need a fair number of them.

Gas! Gas! Gas!

%2E%2F2005%2F11%20November%2F08%2Fpictures%2Fpic%205a%20%28jarhead%29%2Ejpg

I've said here before, if you find yourself in a situation where you need one one of these suits, you're already dead.

I'm military and I'm sure that applies to me as well.

Buy more ammo. Or camping gear.

I had a chicken and black bean burrito from Chiipotle for lunch, my family is going to be looking for gas suits any minute now...

I've said here before, if you find yourself in a situation where you need one one of these suits, you're already dead.

I'm military and I'm sure that applies to me as well.

Buy more ammo. Or camping gear.

this

Only time I could see needing a mask is if you work with Chlorine gas in a water treatment plant or Fiber Optics.
We had a valve fail on our scrubber system and the whole plant smelled like a pool in minutes. Would have been really bad if you took the wrong exit out.
The chlorine Gas would still attack your skin but you would be able to see and breath to get out if you have the right filter. Taking the time to suit up would have been a waste unless it was a SCBA with a level B or A suit to deal with the valve.

ok well say im a friggen juggernaut, i *&^& steel beams and shave with an axe in the morning. Which suit would i use in a nuc attack.

Nothing will protect you from direct exposure except a thick lead suit. the only thing you are protecting your self from is the radio active dust and contaminates directly getting into your body. hopefully you can limit your exposure and get the clothing off at some point once you clear the area.
Im no expert but I think both those you propose would work.
I'm with you, my concern would be a radioactive or some other kind of dirty bomb, in which you were caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.
using the mil suit with carbon layer would be better from a chemical stand point, but it maybe worthless if the suit is not stored properly since carbon may load up and become infective since it will absorb what ever cantaniments in the area it is it stored in.

Nothing will protect you from direct exposure except a thick lead suit. the only thing you are protecting your self from is the radio active dust and contaminates directly getting into your body. hopefully you can limit your exposure and get the clothing off at some point once you clear the area.
Im no expert but I think both those you propose would work.
I'm with you, my concern would be a radioactive or some other kind of dirty bomb, in which you were caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.
using the mil suit with carbon layer would be better from a chemical stand point, but it maybe worthless if the suit is not stored properly since carbon may load up and become infective since it will absorb what ever cantaniments in the area it is it stored in.

right this is exactly what im looking for. Something that if say a dirty bomb went off miles away, id have time to put a suit on before the winds changed and dust started blowing. I know you need a leaded suit but the filters are my basic concern

right this is exactly what im looking for. Something that if say a dirty bomb went off miles away, id have time to put a suit on before the winds changed and dust started blowing. I know you need a leaded suit but the filters are my basic concern

Just use a HEPA filter for the dust and take some Potassium iodide tabs to protect your thyroid.

Seriously a cheap tyvek suit and some hepa filters. Heck a dust mask and poncho would probably work. Maybe a pair of goggles for your eyes. If your are downwind you need to get out quickly. You arent going to stay and operate in that enviro for long. Have some way to decon once you are out of the path.

Even a leaded suit would not really protect you from radiation exposure. Alpha and beta radiation are effectively stopped by standard clothing and air. Gamma radiation is only stopped by several feet of lead, which no person can really carry and has health risks itself. Neutron radiation is even harder because neutrons need to be slowed down first and are only absorbed by certain materials.

The chemical suit would only prevent activated dust from settling on exposed skin and causing radiation burns or being absorbed through the skin. Gas masks would prevent breathing that dust, which is probably the most dangerous type of exposure. In that sense, what coastie said may be the most effective solution.

Back
Top Bottom