• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EPA going after Berkey filters

I don't understand this. What exactly does the EPA think is bad?

What component of the Berkley filters do they object to?

The self reliance part would be my guess.

My tinfoil hat tells me that someone *cough NESTLE cough* may be lobbying to take down a competitor.

Could be wrong though. But I wouldn’t put anything past this administration.

The self reliance part would be my guess.

My tinfoil hat tells me that someone *cough NESTLE cough* may be lobbying to take down a competitor.

Could be wrong though. But I wouldn’t put anything past this administration.

I'm going to guess that it is the silver content in the ceramic version, giving it the 'pesticide' label. Berkey says the silver is contained, so maybe not an issue. From my experience many years ago, my company was looking at faucet filters, which needed Ag as a anti-microbial. The issue was, after sitting a couple hours, the first few ounces through the filter were high in Ag content (a heavy metal), then it was fine. Company decided not to chance it.

I've never really liked Berkey's marketing, but apparently that isn't what the EPA is going after them for.

I'm going to guess that it is the silver content in the ceramic version, giving it the 'pesticide' label.
Berkey filter elements conflict with the 2007 EPA rulemaking regarding silver, specifically “The Agency has now determined that these machines will be regulated as pesticides if the machines contain silver or other substances, and if they generate ions of those substances for express pesticidal purposes.”, as documented in Berkey's lawsuit.

Berkey filter elements conflict with the 2007 EPA rulemaking regarding silver, specifically “The Agency has now determined that these machines will be regulated as pesticides if the machines contain silver or other substances, and if they generate ions of those substances for express pesticidal purposes.”, as documented in Berkey's lawsuit.

Meanwhile, everybody's eating glyphosate in their breakfast cereal.

I'm going to guess that it is the silver content in the ceramic version, giving it the 'pesticide' label. Berkey says the silver is contained, so maybe not an issue. From my experience many years ago, my company was looking at faucet filters, which needed Ag as an anti-microbial. The issue was, after sitting a couple hours, the first few ounces through the filter were high in Ag content (a heavy metal), then it was fine. Company decided not to chance it.
US regulatory agencies have been on the war path wrt Silver products for decades. FDA is constantly closing down silver elixir garage shops that make snake oil products that create real Blue Men from Ag buildup in eyes and skin. Companies using Ag in ceramic filters all instruct a pre-use flush cycle to reduce free Ag below Lowest Observed Effect Level but EPA is doing worst-case enforcement. Bureaucracy run amok.

In the category of things that make you go Hmmmm... These filters have been selling for years, and all of a sudden it's been labelled a pesticide? What else has been selling for even more years than Berkey filters and all of sudden is being pulled from the shelves after it was re-labelled as ineffective i.e. snake oil? Answer: Cold medicines. US FDA panel says popular decongestant used in cold medicines ineffective

Question - doesn't a product made for human consumption (like water filters and cold medicine) have to go through a gazillion tests before being approved?

Interesting that both these products fall squarely in the realm of self-sufficiency. What's the bigger picture? The timing just seems odd.

Leaving off with something I read sometime in the past that made me chuckle. "What is a conspiracy theorist? Someone who tells the news 6 months in advance."

In the category of things that make you go Hmmmm... These filters have been selling for years, and all of a sudden it's been labelled a pesticide?
The Black Berkey filters are fine, the way they leach silver into the treated water is the issue. This isn't a new thing, silver was first registered as a pesticide in the United States in 1954.

Can't say why they suddenly went after Berkey, but as for why silver leachant is regulated, well, we don't need more smurfs.Paul blue man Karason

What else has been selling for even more years than Berkey filters and all of sudden is being pulled from the shelves after it was re-labelled as ineffective i.e. snake oil? Answer: Cold medicines. US FDA panel says popular decongestant used in cold medicines ineffective

Question - doesn't a product made for human consumption (like water filters and cold medicine) have to go through a gazillion tests before being approved?
Time posits an interesting reason for the FDA's about-face on cold medicine, tied to legislative changes during the early days of COVID.

Back when oral phenylephrine was approved, the FDA testing was mostly around "will this kill you or produce flipper babies" rather than "Does it actually work better than a placebo?", and of the 3 common decongestants available for that purpose, phenylephrine was the ignored middle child, only growing to prominence in subsequent decades after phenylpropanolamine was found to kill people, and then pseudoephedrine was restricted as a precursor to meth.

The FDA knew oral-route phenylephrine was ineffective over a decade ago, but as phenylephrine nasal sprays actually do work (and are still sold today), they punted (maybe out of corrupt favor to pharma, more likely simple laziness).

Last edited:
This seems relevant
From the URL:

Materials:

• 2 Big Berkey Black Filters ($200+)

In the category of things that make you go Hmmmm... These filters have been selling for years, and all of a sudden it's been labelled a pesticide? What else has been selling for even more years than Berkey filters and all of sudden is being pulled from the shelves after it was re-labelled as ineffective i.e. snake oil? Answer: Cold medicines. US FDA panel says popular decongestant used in cold medicines ineffective

Interesting that both these products fall squarely in the realm of self-sufficiency. What's the bigger picture? The timing just seems odd.

Leaving off with something I read sometime in the past that made me chuckle. "What is a conspiracy theorist? Someone who tells the news 6 months in advance."
They probably just figured out that the cold medicine is effective against the next pandemic virus they are releasing. They failed to preest on existing products before covid (ivermectin) they are just covering their bases this time.

Just an FYI, I've seen a few videos that claim independent testing shows that Berkey Filters are NOT removing everything they claim to remove. Here's one..

I didn't think any of these could remove PFAS and the like
if you look at the little bubble on the top right of the image I posted it says PFAS, but if you would prefer buy the Berky or some other system, spend as much as you want IDGAF I offered an inexpensive DIY alternative to the Berky. I am getting nothing out of this.

Back
Top Bottom