Which state is free-est?

and hippies. VT is a loony moonbat state. I wouldn't live in that shithole sate if you paid me. Ya they have good gun laws. I suppose if that's the absolute only thing I cared about...

That's an unfair rep. The hippies are concentrated in Burlington and maybe Brattleboro. The rest of the state isn't like that.

Well...

This has gotten very interesting. I was referring to gun laws. I understand there are other reasons to consider before moving (and I wish I was moving) but this is the one I wanted to ask. What about access to types of guns? I know Mass has so many crazy laws about what you can't own. I can't stand it when my brother (who lives in Maine) starts talking about a gun he loves that I can't even own unless it has already been here pre-ban! UGH!

Does NH or VT have any crazy restrictions about guns you can own in either state?

Thanks,
Penny

Anything goes in VT. As mentioned silencers in VT. Of course the federal rules have to be followed for SBRs and machine guns. IMO the gun laws ain't worth it.

To rate Mass "better" then CT in gun laws i find crazy....I would not want to live in Mass..permit just to have a gun in your home..permits to by ammo..must keep gun in "direct control"...stupid pre-ban/post ban crap.."approved" handguns..4 face to face sales a year..locking up guns....we have a stupid AWB ban here..but our permit system is better..i say its shall issue in nature...but others might disagree...but lets face it..both states suck for those who love firearms, or freedom for that matter...

gun laws

I cant comment to much on SC gun laws,but I do know there is no FID.and you can walk into a gun store and buy a rifle shotgun and pistol with only the fed check.to get a permit to carry concealed you take an 8 hr course $50 and send the paper to the state with $60 and they send you the permit.if you dont want to go that way just put pistol in glove compartment.I shoot out in back.no one bothers you.taxes are 8% in my county,but my real estate tax is $200 on 90 acres and nothing on house or garage.
By the way a nice little buck was in back 12 point and 200+.season started sep 1 ends jan 1.unlimited bucks.
did you know Mass has a PERMIT TO CARRY law open carry is legal,BUT I WOULD NOT DO IT.

FWIW, prostitution is legal in RI...and no, I've never been there
Only if conducted indoors; not legal under street lamps.

Connecticut is pretty awful. I'd say they're tied with MA.
Not quite, unless you insist your AR15 bear the Colt brand name. No restrictions on which handguns can be sold; non-listed AR15s OK; no mag ban; permit is for all practical purposes shall-issue (discretionary, but they may not consider "need" in determining suitability); no precedent giving police virtually unlimited power to revoke a permit for actions such as invoking the 5th ammendment.

It's easier to get a CCW (LTC-A) in MA than RI.
Thats a less than universally true generalization, as it depends where you live. Getting a CCW in RI is, generally speaking, on par difficulty wise with a Boston resident getting one. It's definitely easier for a RI resident to get one from the AG than for a Brookline MA resident to get one from their town, and more difficult that getting one in Framingham, MA. RI towns may issue, however, most try to defer to the AG and avoid the work.

Yeah, and if you're caught with a suppressor you're sent to prison for life... oh, wait, no. Actually it's a $25 fine.
My guess is the VT ATF won't approve transfer papers on a suppressor since it's banned by state law - not to mention that anyone caught with one would probably use ue.

And if we want to talk about other issues of freedom, not just guns, you couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays where I grew up (in the South).
It's amazing that these laws haven't been struck down - sort of like the NY law that alcohol may not be sold during traditional curch hours on days of the sabbath of the majority mainstream religion. (no sales before noon on Sunday).

Last edited:
Well isn’t that a kick in the head.

My vote would be Montana or Wyoming, with Idaho bringing up the rear.

Nevada was easy to deal with as far as CCW and NFA weapons.

Only law there is the federal law.

Montana should have or soon to have booted the feds out of their state when it comes to Title I and II aka (NFA) Weapons.

I would think that wanting to know the truth about 911 and every other abomination or usurpation of our Constitutional rights by Government would be a good thing.

Vermont has a lot of "SemiAutoSam" type people (conspiracy theorists). Highest concentration of "9/11 Truthers" of any state I bet.

Not quite, unless you insist your AR15 bear the Colt brand name. No restrictions on which handguns can be sold; non-listed AR15s OK; no mag ban; permit is for all practical purposes shall-issue (discretionary, but they may not consider "need" in determining suitability); no precedent giving police virtually unlimited power to revoke a permit for actions such as invoking the 5th ammendment.

Ironically enough though both of the rifles in my safe are illegal in CT. One is a Colt AR, and the other is an AK in 7.62 x 39. [laugh]

The WORST ct law, however, is the one that bans select fire firearms. You can own an MP5 in CT, but it has to have a f**ked up trigger pack on it so it only does full auto and safe. Go figure. [rolleyes]

CT is way easier to get a CCW in, than in MA, but it still has some pretty messed up laws.

-Mike

The Montana law does not deal with Title II, only Title I, and then only those made by conjectural new manufacturers, i.e. those who do not hold FFLs/SOTs of any kind.
It is also completely irrelevant except as a political statement, since the feds have announced they do not accept the validity or applicability of the law and will continue to enforce federal law on "made in Montana" firearms.

Curiously, those with MA LTC-A/Restriction:none LTCs would have to get used to some places they can not legally carry with a Montana permit - for example, any financial institution.

Thats a less than universally true generalization, as it depends where you live. Getting a CCW in RI is, generally speaking, on par difficulty wise with a Boston resident getting one. It's definitely easier for a RI resident to get one from the AG than for a Brookline MA resident to get one from their town, and more difficult that getting one in Framingham, MA. RI towns may issue, however, most try to defer to the AG and avoid the work.

Yes, many towns defer to the AG, and the AG does not like giving out CCW. It is tougher than getting CCW in Boston, it is more like getting CCW in a black MA town.

Yes, many towns defer to the AG, and the AG does not like giving out CCW. It is tougher than getting CCW in Boston, it is more like getting CCW in a black MA town.

Put it this way, over on www.cralri.com (Civil Rights Action League RI), we all follow the application for CCW for any single person with baited breath like a soap opera. It usually starts with the COP in whatever town they live in not being available and the person at the police station telling the applicant that the COP doesn't issue, there exists no application, and to go talk to the AG.

Then it progresses from there. For one person. We all follow the news and progress. Lawyers are consulted. Towns try to charge 10x the permit rate, try to make the person qualify more often than the required qualification, etc.

It's insane. I'd like to hear from someone who got an RI AG permit that didn't either a) own their own business and claim to carry large amounts of cash (and receive an AG "work restricted permit", that doesn't exist in statute) or b) claim to work at least part time in a gun shop. (or c) have a connected friend in RI politics, more common than a+b combined)

I can't prove it, but I'd say it's 2-3x harder getting an RI AG permit than a Boston LTC-A.

The ONLY hope for your average Joe in RI is to get a town permit in a gun friendly green town with a great COP. And then you're still talking about maybe 10-15 permits per town per year.

Disclaimer- YMMV. Talk to CRALRI lawyers if you want to know the real scoop.

I believe this has changed....

It's amazing that these laws haven't been struck down - sort of like the NY law that alcohol may not be sold during traditional curch hours on days of the sabbath of the majority mainstream religion. (no sales before noon on Sunday).

Back
Top Bottom