Which state is free-est?

FrugalFannie

NES Member
Of all the states around here (Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Rhode Island, NY -upstate?) which is the free-est? Fewest restrictions on what you can own, fewest requirements to purchase, most liberal carry laws (open, concealed, no permits) etc.

As far as guns go, I'd say Vermont. Of course, then you have a lot of leftie loonies there too doing their usual loonie laws. In general (not just guns), NH would be best for freedom. Maine has a lot of goofy laws too, but I've noticed that out in rural areas people really don't pay much attention and live freely anyway.

Though Vermont is filled with loony lefties, they tend to be more libertarian. From a firearms perspective VT is definitely ahead of the pack. Anyone can CC without a permit (Federal prohibitions obviously apply).

It sure as hell ain't Connecticut...I don't know what the order would be in terms of firearms..i would put them like this...Although I am not sure the Differences between Maine/NH or much about Rhode Island...

Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine
Rhode Island
Connecticut
Mass

The people in VT are whacko's though. Last October, my friends and I drove up to Winooski, VT to pick up a radio repeater and duplexer that we purchased. I couldn't believe all the whacked out political messages on the radio. Someone running for AG of VT was promising to indict George Bush for war crimes in a VT court if elected, and that was one of the more moderate political ads. They got loonier the further into VT we drove.

I'd call it a VT/NH tie. No suppressors in VT. No LTC needed to CC in VT, but the LTC is simple and inexpensive for clean-record NH residents to get. NH has some limits on keeping loaded long arms in vehicles that no license exempts you from; don't know about VT in that area.

What are VT's rules on private transfer?

It sure as hell ain't Connecticut...I don't know what the order would be in terms of firearms..i would put them like this...Although I am not sure the Differences between Maine/NH or much about Rhode Island...

Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine
Rhode Island Nope
Connecticut
Mass

It's easier to get a CCW (LTC-A) in MA than RI. I hear CT isn't very friendly either.

For an additional aspect of freedom, which has the lowest personal tax liability?

FWIW i seem to get a not so easy feeling whenever I drive to RI.

No suppressors in VT? That is disappointing.

What does free mean wrt your question?

Sorry, but isn't this like asking which of the old Soviet Bloc countries was the "most Free"?
Look at the entire report and read what conditions are like in places that are not under the thumb of ideological, single party systems.
If you want Freedom, end your single party systems.
Start in your Towns and build up.

It's easier to get a CCW (LTC-A) in MA than RI. I hear CT isn't very friendly either.

You got that right.

I think you need to do it by topic to get it accurate and compare.

For CCW, it would be:

VT
NH
ME
MA
CT
RI

For buying the newest cool guns, CT has stupid laws, but MA is the worst.

For auto-weapons, RI is very dead last.

Depends what you want to do. In many respects RI is much worse than MA. What's the point of having the latest, coolest fresh off the assembly line gun if it's impossible to get a permit to carry it?

Personally, if I could have the option of swapping the entire set of gun laws in MA with RI, I would do it in a New York minute. If any of you in MA think you'd take that deal, remember, you'd most likely be giving up your right to carry, and if you are dreaming of full-auto, keep dreaming.

According to 2000 census results, 79% of the U.S. population lives in an "urban" area. And a great proxy for freedom is this: the more urban dwellers, the less freedom there is. Here are the results for the states discussed above (state: percent urban population):

Vermont: 38.2%
Maine: 40.2%
New Hampshire: 59.3%
New York: 87.5%
Connecticut: 87.7%
Rhode Island: 90.9%
Massachusetts: 91.4%

I see two groups here. Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire are more rural than the U.S. average and have relatively high second amendment freedoms. The highly urban group of New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts -- well, we all know what they are like.

Nothing is this simple, and exceptions abound, but for my money always go with the people who live in the country.

Last edited:
Connecticut is pretty awful. I'd say they're tied with MA. Waiting periods? Even MA doesn't do that crap (license wait aside)

One standard of being free is where you're allowed to carry, and by that standard MA, NH, and VT are three of the free-est states in the country (yeah, I included MA). But obviously that's only part of it.

According to 2000 census results, 79% of the U.S. population lives in an "urban" area. And a great proxy for freedom is this: the more urban dwellers, the less freedom there is. Here are the results for the states discussed above (state: percent urban population):

Vermont: 38.2%
Maine: 40.2%
New Hampshire: 59.3%
New York: 87.5%
Connecticut: 87.7%
Rhode Island: 90.9%
Massachusetts: 91.4%

I see two groups here. Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire are more rural than the U.S. average and have relatively high second amendment freedoms. The highly urban group of New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts -- well, we all know what they are like.

Nothing is this simple, and exceptions abound, but for my money always go with the people who live in the country.

What do they consider urban??

It depends on which specific firearms topics interest you. NH does not have a minimum carry age, and I have never found one in VT law either. Neither has a prohibition against carry in a place that sells or serves alcohol. Both states require licensed dealers to keep special track of handgun buyers. Suppressors are illegal in VT, legal in NH. Both prohibit carry in courthouses. VT prohibits carry in schools, NH limits the prohibition to students. VT also prohibits carry "within any state institution or upon the grounds or lands owned or leased for the use of such institution, without the approval of the warden or superintendent of the institution." NH has no such restriction. Open carry is legal in both states, with provisions: In NH, you must have a concealed carry license to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle, even openly. Additionally, you must have a concealed carry license to carry openly while "afield" during hunting season. VT carry is subject to some local restrictions. NH law supercedes any local regulation of firearms. VT also has such a law, but allows certain cities (Rutland, Winooski, at least) and several towns to pass their own regulations on both carry and possession of firearms. Rutland does not like people carrying guns there, and the police have a history of hassling those they find, which usually means open carry.

Additionally, you must have a concealed carry license to carry openly while "afield" during hunting season.

Interesting! That's a new one on me in NH. I know some other states require it (MI, for example), but was not aware NH did. Can you point me to the applicable case law or RSA section? Other than while bow hunting (208:5), or in game refuges (212:17), or while on some kind of vehicle (215-A:20, vaguely echoing chapter 159's restrictions, and 207:7, applying only to long arms), I have not seen that restriction on carry in NH law.

Or is it just general good advice so one is not construed to be poaching?

As someone else pointed out 'free states' and 'North East' are not compatible. As for VT the only thing you don't need a permit for up there is a gun. VT is very much a police state without a lot of police. You can shoot all you want without much hassle but everything else sucks. Plus VT is often ranked number 1 in taxes and always makes the top three. Texas perhaps? NM, AZ, GA? You want freedom you have to leave this little corner of America.

My biggest beef with NH is the revenue raised through traffic enforcement. Getting tailgated/sized up by two cops in every little town you pass through. The fees for everything is annoying but NH does well in total tax burden so can't complain to much about that.

The only problem with VT not having any CCW firearms permit is it makes it very difficult if not impossible to get a non resident permit in other states since they don't have a permit in their home state. I did hear with some effort VT residents were able to get a NH non-resident with letters of recommendation from their chief of police, maybe a safety course too. I haven't confirmed this though.

Last edited:
You want freedom you have to leave this little corner of America.

I disagree. Even just looking at NH, NH has better (read, LESS) gun laws than most places in the south do. NH has virtually no binding signage, and CCW's are easier to obtain, among other things. (Little to no restrictions on where you can carry a gun in NH. You can pack a pistol into the state house if you want- and the legislature recently even upheld this right. ) It's also not a must notify state, either. Permits cost like $10 (for residents) and the police frequently deliver them to you at home.

NH also still has an averaged tax burden that's still way lower than most of the rest of the nation, the south included.

-Mike

Last edited:
Interesting! That's a new one on me in NH. I know some other states require it (MI, for example), but was not aware NH did. Can you point me to the applicable case law or RSA section? Other than while bow hunting (208:5), or in game refuges (212:17), or while on some kind of vehicle (215-A:20, vaguely echoing chapter 159's restrictions, and 207:7, applying only to long arms), I have not seen that restriction on carry in NH law.

Or is it just general good advice so one is not construed to be poaching?

Its not a requirement in either the RSAs or CAR, but its the way that F&G has been enforcing the law for several years. It will probably require remedial legislation to correct, and there is no interest in doing so among those who would have to do most of the work. So, its strongly advised unless you want to spend a pile of money to prove that you weren't poaching.

Vermont has a lot of "SemiAutoSam" type people (conspiracy theorists). Highest concentration of "9/11 Truthers" of any state I bet.

and hippies. VT is a loony moonbat state. I wouldn't live in that shithole sate if you paid me. Ya they have good gun laws. I suppose if that's the absolute only thing I cared about...

Back
Top Bottom