• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

which red dot to choose for uspsa carry optics?

paul73

NES Member
i am slowly threading through all the options - need to decide on what red dot to put on a cz shadow 2 or.

an obvious best choice now is the trijicon sro - but that thing is a whole $700 when tax is added. i bet it is greatest thing after a sliced bread, but is it a $700 great? not so sure.

a leupold dpp i already have on the other gun, i can either move it around, potentially, or just get a new one. it is a more sensible option right now, one can be found for less than $400.
the cheapest one is the holosun 507c - not sure if it is even worth looking at, but, the price is very tempting. but, other than the price - nothing else is tempting, at all.

vortex venom i already had tried and it is trash. no way. the swarm of sig romeos - meh.

i just have a feel i probably deviate toward getting an another leupold dpp - and not sure how smart is it to do, in 2021, again. any ideas?

There's a lot of love for the Holosuns among folks who aren't scared of buying Chinese gear. I'll probably be putting one on a handgun in the next year or so, when i have the scratch

i am slowly threading through all the options - need to decide on what red dot to put on a cz shadow 2 or.

an obvious best choice now is the trijicon sro - but that thing is a whole $700 when tax is added. i bet it is greatest thing after a sliced bread, but is it a $700 great? not so sure.

a leupold dpp i already have on the other gun, i can either move it around, potentially, or just get a new one. it is a more sensible option right now, one can be found for less than $400.
the cheapest one is the holosun 507c - not sure if it is even worth looking at, but, the price is very tempting. but, other than the price - nothing else is tempting, at all.

vortex venom i already had tried and it is trash. no way. the swarm of sig romeos - meh.

i just have a feel i probably deviate toward getting an another leupold dpp - and not sure how smart is it to do, in 2021, again. any ideas?
What size dot are you thinking about? I have a Trijicon RMR on my Glock 34 MOS and I'm not sure the 3.25 MOA is large enough?

i saw in hand SROs versions with 5MOA and 2.5MOA, i use a DPP on a G34 which is a 2.5MOA - in practical reality the difference in dot size is not that dramatic.
also, when DPP is set to its max brightness its size is really almost as big as SROs 5MOA. i would still prefer usual 2.5MOA.

the 507c approach may have its benefits also, but, it is sooo fugly. dunno.

Last edited:
Personally I didn’t care for the SRO and sold it in favor of the Romeo 3 Max. It may not be as rugged, but I prefer the profile, glass and dot of the Sig. I still have a DPP on my Shadow 2 and though the window isn’t quite as big as the Sig, it still indexes fine. I’ve also heard rumors that C-More is coming out with something new to compete with the SRO and Sig Max.

another option:

They seem pretty well regarded in the Enos forum.

Holosun has a cool 50 moa setting that just does a big circle with no dot or a circle and a dot.

Check out the life expectancy of them.

I feel like trijicons had a life of like 5k rounds but I could've read that on the internet.

Holosun has a cool 50 moa setting that just does a big circle with no dot or a circle and a dot.
507c reviews are mixed at best. i guess if one is lucky - it will live as well as anything else does, or, well, it may not, and then it is a piece of junk. not much support or warranty on that stuff, but, it is a $300 item, not a $700.
i am a bit intrigued of what some youtubers said about the benefits of its reticle - that in the fast movement that outer circle is really beneficial. may be i will try it out, as it is available on amazon.

507c reviews are mixed at best. i guess if one is lucky - it will live as well as anything else does, or, well, it may not, and then it is a piece of junk. not much support or warranty on that stuff, but, it is a $300 item, not a $700.
i am a bit intrigued of what some youtubers said about the benefits of its reticle - that in the fast movement that outer circle is really beneficial. may be i will try it out, as it is available on amazon.
I don't like red dots on my hand guns so I'm not going to tell you which one to get either way.

However I did trade for a gun with one on it... the guy I got it from said it was awesome on plates

It was cool had 3 settings and was solar if the battery died.

That said I've never been able to easily aquire or reaquire my sight with them. I've had a 507cc and another Chinese one. And shot a triji just not my style

I don't like red dots on my hand guns so I'm not going to tell you which one to get either way.
that train has left the station. i am sold on it and not even looking back.
i can shoot my g17 reasonably well, but the groups tightness and consistency at 15+yds using g34 with the red dot and a g17 without it is not comparable.
in all other aspects they are pretty much same exact guns, i got them setup same way on purpose.

I dont know if it will work for you. But you should research Ultradot.

I have a Match II on a revolver. I bought it because of several recommendations, not price. However, price is also a little cheaper than other red dots.

The match 2 is solid.

Save your money and buy the Trijicon SRO.

I have a bunch of red dots on handguns that I've used for pins and plates. Most of them are "old school", with the modern one being a Burris Fastfire. I picked up a G17 slide with a Trijicon RMR on it a couple of years ago - and it's head and shoulders above all of my other dots.

I had my G34 slide milled and a Trijicon SRO installed on it about a year ago - and it's just an amazing sight for IDPA/USPSA. I wouldn't use it on a "duty gun", it doesn't feel anywhere near as rugged as the RMR, but the ease of acquisition of the dot on the target is incredible.

Back
Top Bottom