• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which modern subcompact carry gun?

365 owners, what’s the rail for on the 365? I can see it if it’s for a laser but why put a rail on a gun that is suppose to ride in a pocket? Gimmicks. The PM9 looks more pocketable.
I've not handled a PM 9 but my P365 works very well in my Desantis nemesis pocket holster.

Cool, thanks. How is the Kahr S9 different than the PM9? How do the 3 of these compare to the Sig 365? Weight/width/length/height/capacity?

S9 is just the next size class up. PM9 is micro compact. S9/P9 are subcompact. Some aesthetic changes on the S9 (front serrations and accessory rail), but the S9 is more or less a P9, which is more or less a larger PM9. Same triggers on all three. Same mags between the S9 and P9. Grip appears to be the same as well.

I have a P9. Nice for what it is (DAO), but it isn't aging well since the subcompact class has been maturing with the P365, G43X (cheater subcompact), Hellcat and the like. It has seriously fallen behind on capacity, and the trigger--you love it or hate it. Smooth, but long as hell with very little tactile reset. Easy to miss the reset. Unless you're going specifically for DAO or pocket carry only, I'd pick something else. Just my 2 cents though. Shoot as many of these as you can before coming to your own decision.

Nobody has mentioned the Beretta Nano or the Pico. Aside not being 9 or above. Are these not reliable? Or Ma. compliant? Beretta so they have to be decent. Then there’s a Rohbaugh 9 mm. Tiny but all stainless.

Probably because both of those guns are junk, to the point where nobody buys them. The Pico, at one time, had probably the worlds shittiest idea for a mag release on a handgun, unless they
changed it.

Also look at the bore axis on this thing.... f***ing Horrendous.... [rofl]

MatutesEinsteinBus.jpg

SCHOOL BUS... up top. [laugh]

View: https://youtu.be/8TPK83YR-z0?t=298
"SCHOOL BUSSSSS IN THE RAIN!!!!! "

The Rohrbaugh is at least innovative, but is expensive and its so small that its difficult to keep both hands on the gun while firing. Recoil springs only lasted 200 rounds, too.

Probably because both of those guns are junk, to the point where nobody buys them. The Pico, at one time, had probably the worlds shittiest idea for a mag release on a handgun, unless they
changed it.

Also look at the bore axis on this thing.... f***ing Horrendous.... [rofl]

View attachment 392008

SCHOOL BUS... up top. [laugh]

https://youtu.be/8TPK83YR-z0?t=298

The Rohrbaugh is at least innovative, but is expensive and its so small that its difficult to keep both hands on the gun while firing. Recoil springs only lasted 200 rounds, too.
Wow. The think looks ridiculous in the hand. Doesn’t look too pocketable either. You think with Berettas reputation they would do a better job. You’re be better off putting a 92 in your pocket.

LOL I'm the complete opposite. I think snubbies are way cool until I try to shoot one more accurately than I can throw the damn thing. I'm fairly accurate with my G43 and it's still a good pocket gun, especially in a pocket holster. Looks like a wallet if it even prints.

I don't see the point of subcompacts that are no longer subcompact in order to carry more rounds. If I need more rounds, I'll IWB or OWB carry something bigger.
Took me a while to get better with a snubbie but now I'm fairly proficient with one, at least enough to confidently carry.

Is an LCR smaller than a 642? I’ve tried carrying a 642 in my pocket. No way. What kind of pants are you guys wearing, bib overalls?
Khakis, jeans, shorts...

Most people here seem to like their PM9s, probably more for the size than anything else; but the (free state) one I bought new was the biggest piece of shit I’ve ever owned and Kahr sucked to deal with. I’ll never buy another Kahr product. YMMV.

Last edited:
Took me a while to get better with a snubbie but now I'm fairly proficient with one, at least enough to confidently carry.

Khakis, jeans, shorts...
All kidding aside I tried, I wear jeans mostly I just couldn’t get it’s to the cylinder digging into my leg. I do like it in a vest or coat pocket.

Khakis, jeans, shorts...

I attempted to become proficient with a snubbie but had to stop the process after I began to create a national shortage of 38 spl ammo.

I did find one helpful technique: Jam the muzzle against the target. This slightly increased the odds of hitting the target. (Joking folks- don't do this)

Also I find the LCR's and Smith air weights to be lacking in impact against the target once I finally resort to throwing them.

PM9s are decent guns, with limitations. Whatever you do stay away from the shitty MA version. IMHO a pm9 is still the only pocket 9 that isn’t retarded. If you’re carrying anywhere other than a pocket, a 365, g43, etc are much better options.

365 owners, what’s the rail for on the 365? I can see it if it’s for a laser but why put a rail on a gun that is suppose to ride in a pocket? Gimmicks. The PM9 looks more pocketable.

The PM9 definitely looks more pocketable. You can pocket carry the P365 but I don't think it's designed as a pocket carry gun nor would it be comfortable to pocket carry for extended periods. I used to pocket the P365 (and the P938 before that) to/from work in an Alabama Holster and then put it in the pop out drawer under my desk when I got to the office. If I went out for a quick trip during the day or stopped at the grocery store on the way home the P365 was pocketable but wouldn't want to pocket carry all day every day. When it was coat/jacket season it went in the coat pocket no problem. Haven't worn a dress shirt tucked in since Covid so don't pocket anymore.

All kidding aside I tried, I wear jeans mostly I just couldn’t get it’s to the cylinder digging into my leg. I do like it in a vest or coat pocket.
Did you have a holster? I pocket carry in a Desantis Demesis and never found the gun uncomfortable in any way.

Did you have a holster? I pocket carry in a Desantis Demesis and never found the gun uncomfortable in any way.
The same here. Unless the pants are really tight or for some reason the pockets are small it's easy to carry it in a Nemesis and comfortable for me.

The Sig Lima laser doesn’t really add that much to the gun. I’m not sure how Crimson Trace or other manufacturers’ lasers compare to the Lima.

The same here. Unless the pants are really tight or for some reason the pockets are small it's easy to carry it in a Nemesis and comfortable for me.
I have it in an Uncle Mikes #3. After carrying the Seecamp I’m my pocket now since I’ve owned it, I should probably revisit the 642. I just think it’s a little wide. Digging in is probably the wrong word. The grip sits at the top of the pocket also. If I put the original grips back on I might shoot it better too. Makes a good house gun.

AD50276B-11BB-435B-A973-DD30C811107E.jpeg

Another that moved to the Sig 365. I was carrying a P3AT and decided to move to a 9mm instead that had greater capacity. I exclusively pocket carry so I needed something smallish that would fit the bill. I have a Kahr PM9, but it's heavy and it just didn't feel right when pocket carrying it. The 365 is lighter but I still am in the process of getting used to it over the ultra light P3AT.

I have it in an Uncle Mikes #3. After carrying the Seecamp I’m my pocket now since I’ve owned it, I should probably revisit the 642. I just think it’s a little wide. Digging in is probably the wrong word. The grip sits at the top of the pocket also. If I put the original grips back on I might shoot it better too. Makes a good house gun.

View attachment 392116
I've got a 442 which is the blued version of the 642 and I don't have a problem in my pocket with the cylinder and in the same type of holster I use for the P365 but there was an ankle holster I had that I could feel the cylinder through and it was uncomfortable.

I've got a 442 which is the blued version of the 642 and I don't have a problem in my pocket with the cylinder and in the same type of holster I use for the P365 but there was an ankle holster I had that I could feel the cylinder through and it was uncomfortable.
I have the Galco ankle glove for it and it has sheepskin between the holster and your ankle. Comfortable.

I have the Galco ankle glove for it and it has sheepskin between the holster and your ankle. Comfortable.
Yes the Galco ankle glove is great. The one that was uncomfortable was more like a neoprene type material that went around the ankle and the holster was more generic and of the same material and I could feel the cylinder pressing into my leg.

There ain't much a Glock 26 can't handle and there are so many parts made for it.
A great overlooked pistol in today's, how small can they make it world!
I tried the Sig P365 and didn't care for the trigger or the grip.

The Glock 26 feels like a real pistol.
Some of the others do not feel as sturdy in the hand.

Never mind all the magazine capacity options for it.

There ain't much a Glock 26 can't handle and there are so many parts made for it.
A great overlooked pistol in today's, how small can they make it world!
I tried the Sig P365 and didn't care for the trigger or the grip.

The Glock 26 feels like a real pistol.
Some of the others do not feel as sturdy in the hand.

Never mind all the magazine capacity options for it.
The G26 is one of the best guns ever made.

It's overbuilt like a tank.

You can carry a G17 mag as backup and be ready for anything.

I don’t know if this has been mentioned before in this thread, but have you thought about the HK 45C? I’ve regretted getting rid of mine, but am buying one from another member this week. Yes, it’s bigger than a 365, but I generally carried my previous 45C during the winter. It’s a damn solid firearm that’s accurate, reliable, and not much more than 365s right now. If you are good with the paddle mag release, which is easy to get used to, then perhaps that could be an option too.

Yup you can do that if 10+1 isn't eneough firepower for ya! Great weapons btw if you can find one in MAView attachment 392527
First (and best) pistol I ever owned (still do). Carrying it now. Great balance, terrific shooter, easy to care for, and 10+1 is good, too. Not much more recoil in my opinion than a .22 Ruger (which I also own). If you can find one, try it out! But be prepared to buy it! LOL!

Most people here seem to like their PM9s, probably more for the size than anything else; but the (free state) one I bought new was the biggest piece of shit I’ve ever owned and Kahr sucked to deal with. I’ll never buy another Kahr product. YMMV.

I agree, I also bought one new, tried hard to like it, but always FTF and slide stayed open in the middle of the mag.... junk. Finally traded it in for a G26, never looked back...

I've been pocket carrying my cerakoted CM9 for 4 years now and the thing has never had any functioning issues. The only thing is I have to remember to clean or ar least wipe down the outside regularly even when I haven't shot it in a while because I get a little bit of surface rust on the mag release and rear sight especially in the hot sweaty summer months. Nothing too troubling though.

Back
Top Bottom