• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where To Shoot My Machine Gun?

Hi all, I recently got my green card and I am looking to acquire at least one machine gun. The tricky thing is where could I actually shoot it? My local club (Marlborough Fish and Game) explicitly disallows full autos and that seems to be the norm for most of the other clubs I can find near me. Ultimately, I am hoping to find a place near Marlborough. To that end I looked through every club GOAL has listed in the Worcester area and here is what I found.

Places that allow machine guns:

1. Harvard Sportsmen’s Club: It is not totally clear to me, but they do have a "Class III range" so I assume that includes machine guns. This is reasonably close to me, but I would need to find a sponsor somehow.

2. Gun Parlor Range in Worcester: They have machine gun rentals so presumably you could bring your own? It is close, but seems pricey for a membership.

3. Mass Firearms School: Not clear on this one. They allow "rapid fire" but it is not clear if that includes full auto.

Places where it is not explicitly disallowed or allowed:

1. Leominster Sportmen's Association: not disallowed in the rules.

2. Maspenock Rod & Gun: could not find any rules to look at.

3. North Brookfield Sportsmen’s Club: not disallowed in the rules.

4. North Grafton Fish, Game & Bird Club: could not access range rules.

5. Rutland Sportmen's Club: link to the range rules was broken.

Does anyone know any clubs or ranges near Marlborough that allow machine guns?

Andover Sportsmen's Club (bit of a drive for you, prob 45 mins or so) allows it in the presence of a range officer.
That is a decent option, aside from the distance. That said, they do have a capacity rule:
  • Maximum Capacity: 10 rounds for rifles and shotguns, 10 rounds for handguns
Which kind of defeats the point of shooting a machine gun.

Harvard is THE place. Jack.
That does seem like the best option, I am just not sure how to get a sponsor. It seems a bit odd to me to just show up there and try to trawl for one. Perhaps I can ask over on the Gun Ranges & Clubs forum.

That is a decent option, aside from the distance. That said, they do have a capacity rule:

Which kind of defeats the point of shooting a machine gun.

That does seem like the best option, I am just not sure how to get a sponsor. It seems a bit odd to me to just show up there and try to trawl for one. Perhaps I can ask over on the Gun Ranges & Clubs forum.
Look at the Harvard website. Jack.

Maybe pick up a phone and call some of those places? Too much work for you?

I figured I would ask here first to see if anyone knew off hand, but I will do further investigation to see what concrete details I can find. I searched the forum earlier and could not find anything so I figured it would be nice if we had a list somewhere.

I figured I would ask here first to see if anyone knew off hand, but I will do further investigation to see what concrete details I can find. I searched the forum earlier and could not find anything so I figured it would be nice if we had a list somewhere.
Off hand your best bet is Harvard. Membership and other details are on the web site. Also research the details involved in buying the gun (s). Google that. You don't just walk into a shop and leave with the gun. You'll have plenty of time (Can be many months) to find a place to shoot it. Jack.

Last edited:
Also research the details involved in buying the gun (s). Google that. You don't just walk into a shop and leave with the gun.
That is good advice. I figured becoming a member at a new club would take some time too so I wanted to get a jump on it.

I spoke with Dave Kistler the Rifle Range Committee Chair of the Leominster Sportsmen’s Association and he said full auto was allowed for members who have been through the rifle range briefing.

Ignore Free, he is a f*cking Biden lover and a moron.

Who the f*ck calls a range and gets soemone on the phone? ... it is hard enough to get them to reply to an Email, let alone calling when people are not there full time.

OP, it is awesome you got a Green Card. You can check Reading, they will allow it on a case by case. If you go on a Sunday, the President is almost always there, he is a great guy, speak with him.

If he says you can shoot it, send me a PM, I will sponsor you. (But you have to invite me when you go :) ).

Off hand your best bet is Harvard. Membership and other details are on the web site. Also research the details involved in buying the gun (s). Google that. You don't just walk into a shop and leave with the gun. You'll have plenty of time (Can be many months) to find a place to shoot it. Jack.

Nah, Bump stocks and Rare Breed Triggers can be had pretty easy. I’m sure you can get something in full semi-automatic to start just to check out the club while you’re waiting on purchase approvals, etc.

As somebody who owns a few I will give you some unsolicited machine gun advice.
  1. sub-machine guns are by far the most fun. They are also reasonable on the pocketbook. MP5, MACs Grease guns, Tommy’s and STGs are a blast
  2. A properly tuned M4/M16 is fun and an easy second. If you have the money the HK variants are good too. Probably more fun than subs but you can shoot a grand down range with a few friends so easy
  3. Tranny sears or DIAS are awesome if you have the money, any AR goes brrrrrrt
  4. I’ve only ever sold two machine guns, one was an HK91. They are not smooth and not really tunable. 308 gets expensive fast even if you have money and it’s heavy. 308 machine guns kind of blow
  5. AK machine guns suck, don’t waste your money. The second machine gun I sold.

Jack is correct. It will take months for the form 4 to be approved. It will also take thousands of dollars if you're looking for a transferable machine gun. My son wants to sell his. It's a S&W model 76. Harvard is probably the best bet. You need to qualify at the machinegun range. It's pretty easy. Once you qualify there are 5 ranges there that allow full auto. If you find a club that allows machineguns, let me know. I'd like to have a second place to shoot mine.

Hi all, I recently got my green card and I am looking to acquire at least one machine gun. The tricky thing is where could I actually shoot it? My local club (Marlborough Fish and Game) explicitly disallows full autos and that seems to be the norm for most of the other clubs I can find near me. Ultimately, I am hoping to find a place near Marlborough. To that end I looked through every club GOAL has listed in the Worcester area and here is what I found.

1. Harvard Sportsmen’s Club: It is not totally clear to me, but they do have a "Class III range" so I assume that includes machine guns. This is reasonably close to me, but I would need to find a sponsor somehow.

2. Gun Parlor Range in Worcester: They have machine gun rentals so presumably you could bring your own? It is close, but seems pricey for a membership.

3. Mass Firearms School: Not clear on this one. They allow "rapid fire" but it is not clear if that includes full auto.

HSC: Breakfast is November 7. Starts at 0800-1100, looking forward to meeting you.

Harvard SC allows it. Hanson did at one time too.

A ton of the 50-200 yd "you have to piss in the woods" clubs with minimal rules will allow it, but talk to club leadership first.

Oh the horror…..

Harvard.

My former FFL lived in Wrentham and owned several maxhine guns. He was a member at Harvard. I got my Green Card and would have joined Harvard as well but wasn’t in the position to buy anything at the time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom