When your local CERT or community becomes the enemy?

I had the opportunity to read "One Second After" authored by William R. Forstchen; a PhD with a specialization in Military History and the History of Technology.
An outstanding novel with a forward contributed by Newt Gingrich; (if that means anything to you).

Anyway, the book, IMO, did a tremendous job addressing some of what we might expect from the local community and leadership in the event of a disaster.

Like the book, some of us do not plan to "Bug Out" as soon as the SHTF, and instead plan to homestead and work with our community to maintain or re-establish some sense of a civilization.

However, at one point in the book, the leaders that be discuss the fast depleting food stores and explore the option of going in to every ones homes in order to find the survival people and food hoarders, so that the can replenish the community food supply and benefit the collective.

During katrina, government troops went home to home in a similar fashion, to confiscate weapons.

So the question is this:

The SHTF, and your in the community working to restore order; When some sort of authority decides every one has to open up their homes for inspection with ALL extra food and or weapons caches to be collected and rationed out to the community. Does this fly with you and if not, what do you do?

Nope, it doesn't fly. I prep so my family can get by in the event of an emergency. I would make it not worth the effort to get into my home. Of course, we would have to leave promptly or be run out. Enough people calling BS on something like that would make the effort not worth it.

So the question is this:

The SHTF, and your in the community working to restore order; When some sort of authority decides every one has to open up their homes for inspection with ALL extra food and or weapons caches to be collected and rationed out to the community. Does this fly with you and if not, what do you do?

That sir I believe is GO TIME!

So the question is this:

You take that opportunity to change the leadership's mind. Or, the leadership.

My prepping has nothing to do with the 99 percent of the people in my community who are never prepared. I have pre-arranged plans with a couple of close prepping buddies for who brings what and where we hold up. We have emergency food, water, weapons, ammo, comm gear and crypto gear. Yes, even our comms will be DES level secure. No ham wannabe's will be able to monitor comm's. We have no intention of interacting will a community full of parasites. That element of society that is not prepared will be screwed.

I believe the container port and wholesale food distribution warehouses in or near Southie will be a higher priority than my house. At least, for me![wink]

Join your local CERT and use insider info to your advantage to know when to bug out. In addition, you may be able to help your neighbors in a "small" crisis that involves the CERT.

If you're an evil member of the CERT, you may even enjoy the spoils of what the search and seizure of the community food yields. [thinking]

They're handing out weapons ???? [thinking]
whoo.gif
[smile]

I fail to see how anything in this thread justifies the title's statement of CERT becoming the enemy.

You have very clearly expressed what I have been thinking since after post #4. CERT is a volunteer organization designed to help the community in times of need.

So the question is this:

Are you a part of your CERT group? It is volunteer, and if you don't like it, just don't do it.

My intent wasn't to disparage CERT or any one who serves the public.

In the book I referenced, it portrayed those in charge as reasonable, but pushed to consider unreasonable options in order to meet the needs of the public and community in time of disaster. This included exploring the possibility of going through peoples homes who they knew to have food stores, and confiscating them.

Though the people who volunteered to help the community and fill a role, weren't referred to as a CERT, some of their activities reminded of what I imagined a CERT to be; hence the title.

Anything under a .gov umbrella will sooner or later will be used to stomp on individuals. CERT will be no different. There will always be leeches ready to step into any vacancy left by those with morals.

The key to surviving these types of subjugations will be to band with armed, like minded people.

At the first indication that these roundups will occur, direct action against local .gov leadership needs to happen.

The problem lies with the Community attemptiong to preserve itself as a whole: If the 100 people in the community have a meeting, and 90% agree that all resources should be shared, for the common good, then that's the way it will be. You may see it as "mob rule"; the others will see it as democracy, or a reasonable solution. After all, civilized people share, right?

If your Rancho Apocalypto is sufficiently stocked with goodies, then it's likely that the people outside of the walls will do whatever they deem nessecsry to get to said goodies. Desperate people will do whatever they have to do. You may be well-stocked with EBRs and ammo, but can you maintain a 360-degree 24 hour watch for an extended period of time? If soeone were to toss a molotov onto your roof, could you fight the fire and the mob? WOuld you hand out food to prevent the firebombing?

My point being that when everyone is hungry and scared, your becomes theirs, and the "it was for the greater good" crap will be thought of later.

Most of the prepper fiction that I've encountered consists of a large, sudden population crash. If you have a breakdown of the supply chain, with no reduction of the need, then you will have problems.

As to Jose's excellent point about banding together with like-minded people....unless your're WAY under the radar, at the first hint of .gov need to impose order, the Anit-Government Militia (that's the like-minded people, BTW) will be the first target.

In a true, wide-spread SHTF situation, it will go back to the old "My cousin and me against my neighbor; my brother and me against my cousin."

Oh.....and just so everyone knows....if the SHTF and my supplies of edibles ran low before my supply of ammo....I'd ask you to share (politely, of course) to feed me and my family. And so woudl everyone else.

The problem lies with the Community attemptiong to preserve itself as a whole: If the 100 people in the community have a meeting, and 90% agree that all resources should be shared, for the common good, then that's the way it will be.

That's the way it will be until blood starts to flow

And let me suggest another course of action: strike pre-emptively at the local leadership rather than waiting for them to come after you.

If you are seen as a well prepared survivor, the .gov will come after you sooner or later. May as well you strike the first blow.

OPSEC - no one should know what you have for preps.

Buy with cash. Can/dehydrate your own. No mail order. Same with the supplies you need to do these things, as much as possible.

Don't post your preps on the interwebs.

NO, No it does not fly. If I have a cache of food I and I alone decide who gets it. if I am going to dip into it to help the community it will be after my family is taken care of first and handed out at my leisure. Anybody who tries to make me do other wise will see what else I have a cache of.

The best course of action is to join your local CERT now, work your way into the leadership.

While I could see a CERT group in a Boston suburb trying to enforce "pooled resources" and going townhouse-to-townhouse, I find that sort of action highly improbable in central or northern New Hampshire. Around here, I think "the community" would be more worried about keeping watch for looters driving up from the Boston suburbs and not freezing in the winter than about who has what in their root cellar.

Hope your group is more organized than theirs. If you and a half dozen neighbors are in together then you have a better chance than alone. Get involved in your community so that it doesnt happen.

The problem lies with the Community attemptiong to preserve itself as a whole: If the 100 people in the community have a meeting, and 90% agree that all resources should be shared, for the common good, then that's the way it will be. You may see it as "mob rule"; the others will see it as democracy, or a reasonable solution. After all, civilized people share, right?

If your Rancho Apocalypto is sufficiently stocked with goodies, then it's likely that the people outside of the walls will do whatever they deem nessecsry to get to said goodies. Desperate people will do whatever they have to do. You may be well-stocked with EBRs and ammo, but can you maintain a 360-degree 24 hour watch for an extended period of time? If soeone were to toss a molotov onto your roof, could you fight the fire and the mob? WOuld you hand out food to prevent the firebombing?

My point being that when everyone is hungry and scared, your becomes theirs, and the "it was for the greater good" crap will be thought of later.

Most of the prepper fiction that I've encountered consists of a large, sudden population crash. If you have a breakdown of the supply chain, with no reduction of the need, then you will have problems.

As to Jose's excellent point about banding together with like-minded people....unless your're WAY under the radar, at the first hint of .gov need to impose order, the Anit-Government Militia (that's the like-minded people, BTW) will be the first target.

In a true, wide-spread SHTF situation, it will go back to the old "My cousin and me against my neighbor; my brother and me against my cousin."

Oh.....and just so everyone knows....if the SHTF and my supplies of edibles ran low before my supply of ammo....I'd ask you to share (politely, of course) to feed me and my family. And so woudl everyone else.

I don't think so. The few percent of us who properly pre-plan and purchase emergency supplies for whatever may happen in the future are under no obligation to later support the retards who did not lift a finger to help themselves avoid danger. This is my property and I'll be damned if a bunch of unprepared libtards think that they can have my property just because they take a vote.

The Grasshopper and the Ant story all over again. You didn't prepare? Tough. There are plenty of ways to get food and water that don't require stealing from someone. Fish, trap with snares, whatever. Don't come to my door looking for handouts like they did the govt. for years.

I don't think so. The few percent of us who properly pre-plan and purchase emergency supplies for whatever may happen in the future are under no obligation to later support the retards who did not lift a finger to help themselves avoid danger. This is my property and I'll be damned if a bunch of unprepared libtards think that they can have my property just because they take a vote.

I think you misssed the implied threat in the "Ask you to share (politely, of course)" [laugh]

And the "vote" will be, "Give us food or we'll burn you out...."

Back
Top Bottom