when do you sell a firearm?

If a firearm has been sitting in my safe for a decent amount of time and I forget it's there then it's gone. If it's one that would be a PITA to obtain again then I hold on to it. One's that were handed down to me by my old man I will hold till my boys are of age and can appreciate them.

On the iPhone point, my company pays my bill and I can upgrade it every year to the newest and greatest. Best part is I can sell my old iPhone on Swappa and make a profit on what I paid a year prior.

I've sold 3 guns and traded one away. I sold an SR45 because it was large, expensiv(ish) to shoot, and sensitive to low end ammo. Sold a walther p22 and replaced it with a Glock 19 .22 trainer. I sold an sks to buy a new AR upper. Also traded an 870 for the previously mentioned sks. The 870 was a little picky too.

I am a highly functional type A hoarder, so this question is really difficult and confusing to me.

If money wasn't an issue I'd only sell a gun that I didn't enjoy, didn't work properly, or I didn't shoot well.

How many times have you heard the story 20-30 years later "I really shouldn't have sold that *blank*"
I have two or three pistols that I never really shoot but I'll probably hang on to them unless I need to make room for something else.

Making room or using the cash to buy something better or that you like more seems like a good reason.

when do you sell a firearm?

When the buyer is not a cheapskate and pays what your asking!

I have only sold a few. I have donated a couple. The last one was a Contender and it was sold due to the fact that my joints would ache for a week after shooting it.

Good Question and one that I've been pondering lately. I have a few collector guns that I'm wondering what I'm going to do with. My kids aren't really interested in them and it would make a great deal more sense for me to sell them because I know what they are and what they're worth. For example-I own a Walther 480 Code P38 in 90% plus condition. How many people here (or anywhere, for that matter) really know what this gun is about and how rare it truly is? If and when the time comes to sell this gun I want it to go to a bona-fide collector who really appreciates what they have, at a fair value.

I have a PINK Hi Point carbine (originally for the gf). Its bulky AF and only takes 10rd mags. Sub2000s seem to be more appealing given the availability and prices lately, so I considered selling the Hi Point even if I wouldn't get much dollar for it. However, I've given a lot of thought about why I bought it in the first place: its durable, reliable, cheap, fun, and the intrinsic value is WAY more than the money I would receive for it. I'm keeping the pink plunker.

I dont even want to sell my sig mosquito thats worthless and the only bad purchase ive ever made.

Selling some guns to buy a machinegun is good idea, even if it isn't the exact one you want because of cost......youll never regret it.

Selling guns to buy an engagement ring is the dumbest idea ive heard, someone here just did that.

I dont even want to sell my sig mosquito thats worthless and the only bad purchase ive ever made.

Selling some guns to buy a machinegun is good idea, even if it isn't the exact one you want because of cost......youll never regret it.

Selling guns to buy an engagement ring is the dumbest idea ive heard, someone here just did that.

Diamonds are a bad bet anyway you cut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only sold one gun, to fund another purchase and I made a huge profit on it because I got in on a group buy. The buyer still got a good deal. And I regret selling it every time I think about it.
Who remembers American Weapons Systems group buy on Sig 556's? Sig was also offering a crazy rebate at the time. I miss that damn rifle. Yeah it was a little heavy and I have AR's that are more accurate, but that rifle was cool. Great design and crazy reliable.
Maybe I will try to buy it back.

I sell them when I find that I have 2 of the same..... except of course my G19 and G34. Because Black, Battlefield Green, and MOS are all really different... aren't they? Come to think of it I heard that they sell gray and FDE ones with gray and FDE slides...... Wonder where I can get one.

I've never regretted selling a gun because I don't sell guns that I will miss. I buy when money's good and sell when it's not. I have a handful of guns that I won't part with and a whole shitload that IDGAF about in any real sense. If i need the dough, that majority of the collection can be turned into cash without a care.

If you let a gun sit in the back of your safe long enough you'll forget you own it, where it came from, and when you put it there. Then it becomes like a free gun and fun to shoot again...if in fact you shot it before. Otherwise, only get rid of a gun if someone offers to trade you a much more valuable gun for it in return.

Meh. It's a chunk of steel. If I'm done with it, I'll sell it.

this and often if you wait to long you caant get shit for them......ask me how I know

Im going through this right now. I have guns I have not shot since I was 10-15 years old. I dug a lot of them out and found out why. although most are utilitarian type guns and inexpensive they are only fun for blasting cans and such.

So what I have been doing is sorting through my guns.
first I went through them and weeded out all the ones needing work/parts. Sourced the parts and repairs. Often the parts are more than the guns so I plan on parting out at least 4 guns.
2nd Do I like shooting the gun if I don't it has made the got to go list.
3rd will I shoot these guns....if I have that probably not they are on the list.

In hind sight I should have sold off 1/2 of my unwanted collection 5 years ago as the values have seemed to have dropped for my "collection"
I will post on gun broker soon the few I really just want to dump.

If you have a few guns that are just nice and been in the family put those aside.
I have 2 guns I will never sell just because they been around the family and provided much fun.
the 870 and the glenfield 25

I got rid of my Henry lever .22 because I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I bought it on a whim anyways. No matter how I adjusted the sites I just couldn't get it. My next gun buy will be a Winchester model 6 gallery gun or an older used .22 for next to nothing these days.

Selling any firearms (that's aren't rare or expensive right now stinks); AR's are inundating stores right now. I just sold my 556 to Renessaince, as KTP is so flooded with them they wouldn't take it! Sorry AR, had to make space in the safe for another AK!

Selling any firearms (that's aren't rare or expensive right now stinks); AR's are inundating stores right now. I just sold my 556 to Renessaince, as KTP is so flooded with them they wouldn't take it! Sorry AR, had to make space in the safe for another AK! 
When Healey looses or the awb gets ruled unconstitutional, im buyin 10 of the cheapest ARs and literally burying them.
Now is the time to buy not sell...especially ammo/reloading supplies

Last edited:
It all depends. If you have 4-10 guns and are in the "I'll never sell one" crowd, I get it. But when you have 30+ pistols, even more rifles and shotguns, it gets to a point where how many 357's, 1911's, O/U's and bolt guns/autos do you really need?

It becomes a pain moving, securing and storing them. I've come to the realization that I have a pistol/rifle/shotgun for every possible scenario on earth, and really its like I have 3 of each and then some, so I've been thinking about thinning things out and whittling it down to what I need, want, and might want in the future or pass down. That list is significantly shorter than what I have now.

There are a few that I will never shoot again in my life, mostly some of my fathers and grandfathers guns. I cant wait till my son gets his own place so I can give him a safe and unload some of these to him. There's other guns I'll keep, just cause I like them and will likely never tire of them. I don't own anything super high dollar, like Perrazis, Coopers, or Ed Browns, but all of my stuff is quality and 99% of them are in 95%+ condition.

I've long wanted a few key firearms. Been thinking about selling a few to acquire them, so it wont come from my pocket, AND it thins out guns that take up needed space.

It all depends. If you have 4-10 guns and are in the "I'll never sell one" crowd, I get it. But when you have 30+ pistols, even more rifles and shotguns, it gets to a point where how many 357's, 1911's, O/U's and bolt guns/autos do you really need?

It becomes a pain moving, securing and storing them. I've come to the realization that I have a pistol/rifle/shotgun for every possible scenario on earth, and really its like I have 3 of each and then some, so I've been thinking about thinning things out and whittling it down to what I need, want, and might want in the future or pass down. That list is significantly shorter than what I have now.

There are a few that I will never shoot again in my life, mostly some of my fathers and grandfathers guns. I cant wait till my son gets his own place so I can give him a safe and unload some of these to him. There's other guns I'll keep, just cause I like them and will likely never tire of them. I don't own anything super high dollar, like Perrazis, Coopers, or Ed Browns, but all of my stuff is quality and 99% of them are in 95%+ condition.

I've long wanted a few key firearms. Been thinking about selling a few to acquire them, so it wont come from my pocket, AND it thins out guns that take up needed space.

Yup. I moved recently and had this problem. I actually like the idea of having less, quality firearms than more so-so firearms I won't shoot. Plus kids always find ways to need stuff and spend money...stop growing already ha.

Last edited:

This sounds familiar for me add to that my father was the same type. Most of my stuff is 95% or better. Storage and liability become an issue. Im downsizing, but anything that is not currently made or has sentimental value gets really looked at as far as letting go. I don't really miss anything I sold, nor do I regret it. I have guns I would never sell from my father and uncle because they have used them hunting and have many memories with them. Even though they can't use them anymore.....I will take them out and put a few rounds thru, or hunt with now and then. When I take game with those guns, I make sure to send a pic to my dad or uncle and I hope it gives them a good feeling that their guns are still being used and taken care of and they passed them on to someone who appreciates them. Because I really do appreciate them.

Commodities glock plastic shit, m4gery, and cheap shotguns, could care less buy and sell all the time without a thought. Those are money losers for the most part anyway, so I don't nearly do as much of it as I used to. Right now, I tend to buy stuff I will use, and not buy safe queens....

Needless to say my son will already have a collection when he moves...I will pass them on. That is by design as one never knows what laws will change. So I've set him up with the basics plus some.

Last edited:
When Healey looses or the awb gets ruled unconstitutional, im buyin 10 of the cheapest ARs and literally burying them.
Now is the time to buy not sell...especially ammo/reloading supplies

I do wonder if her losing would cause a noticeable impact on the short term market of cheap ARs in New England. Seems like a bunch of people would probably buy one just to make the point and thumb their nose at her.

Only when I decide I don't like a gun and want to upgrade.

I sold my Mini-14 because I learned how much more accurate and versatile an EBR is.

I sold my Walter PPK/S (Interarms) because I discovered the image of the gun vastly exceeded what that weapon actually delivered.

Never sold a gun I like. Never.

This is a smart move. If we win, the media will be screaming about a "problem to be solved".

I sell when my kids are hungry!

Actually, I do sell when my daughters' ballet/jazz classes bills come due, or if I'm drooling over some 1911 I ned to have!

Back
Top Bottom