• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

when do you sell a firearm?

chrbla2000

NES Member
I've been struggling with when the 'right' time to sell a firearm is. Not all decisions are a struggle of course, some are easy, like when you have a pistol or rifle that's in or recently out of production and have no love for it. But, what about some of the 'heirloom' pieces in your collection? I have 2 that I picked up for a relative song some years back that have shot up in value, so much so that I'm unwilling to shoot them for fear of hurting their collector value. I don't really *need* the money, but... I could certainly put it to good use, I just don't know when the right jumping off point is, bleh.

So, what say you? Wait until you're down on your luck and need the $$, sell 'em and don't look back, or hang on to them and maybe pass them to your kids? I guess I could always put them up for a king's ransom and see if anyone bites.

-chris

I try to have something in mind for the funds before selling, otherwise I will just piss away the cash on something dumb. I wanted to buy a new motorcycle last winter, so I sold a few guns and put the cash into a coffee can. Then I started adding cash to the coffee can, and eventually used it to buy a bike.

I have sold guns in the past and then wondered a few months later what I did with the money, and was it worth it.

Waiting until you are in dire need might lead you to sell too low.

Sell it to a friend...yeah....at a discount. You said you don't need the money anyway. [smile]

My track record is that I sell when either I don't care about the gun or I want to buy something else specifically.

I have two criteria...

If I haven't shot a firearm over 20 years, I will sometimes sell it.

If it's a modern, commodity-type firearm, and I can't hit anything with it, I always sell it.

I now always take the cash and keep it in a separate firearms-only stream so I always know what became of the sale. I've found selling them and then squandering the cash as spending money is always very frustrating!

Like others have said, I normally sell a gun only after deciding (and sometimes prematurely purchasing) the next thing on the want list. I have a bad habit of buying the next thing before selling the last though.

I try to never sell a gun that I bought. I bought it because I wanted it, I may not need it right now, but, I may need it again.

I'll sell a gun if it was "The Hot Gun" at the time I bought it and I didn't like how it shot or I shot it horribly. I know I'll never shoot it again so I'll sell it.

I have guns for Trap, Skeet, ext.. I'm not doing that right now, but I won't sell them because I love shooting trap and will get back into it.

I also have bought guns to collect. I bought a "never fired" Tommy Gun. It's killing me not to fire it for "value" but I want to fire it also. The price has been affected, the Gun Shop I bought it from affected the price. The gun came with a round 50 (or 100, can't remember which one now) magazine. The owner wouldn't sell the gun with the "Large Capacity" Magazine that the gun came with. It was BS, I think he just wanted the magazine. I still bought the gun though, I just couldn't pass on it.

I'll most likely will never sell anything unless it's close to Bankruptcy Time and I need the money to keep the house... Or it's a caliber that I most likely will never use again, I would sell those if the "price was right". I wouldn't take a loss on them.

It comes down to time of year as well. Christmas is a good time to sell. You have a sweet hunting rifle/shotgun just before opening day and someone wants that gun "real bad" and gives you a boat load of money for it.

So I guess it comes down to you deciding to sell and than choosing the "Right Time Of Year" to sell said gun.

If it was me and I really didn't need the money I'd keep them. After all (In my best Gallem voice) "oh my precious, oh my precious" [wink] [smile] [grin]...

Last edited:
Most of the time I sell something when I need the extra cash to buy something else.Just remember one thing if you really like the gun and sell it, are you going to be able to replace it in the future.

When you move to another house and during the move you unearth a lot of stuff you forgot you even bought :)

Sell a firearm?

Does not compute.

This^

Don't sell guns.

Once you start selling and buying you stand a chance of becoming one of the glocktards, geardos, mall ninjas, or "operators" that are constantly selling a 3 month old gun to buy the latest and greatest slightly (but not really) upgraded model handgun in the hopes that they might actually become a proficient shooter. You know.....like all the 20 something year old muscle bound thick bearded oakly wearing wannabes I saw at state line last week trading in their gen 4 for the "improved more betterer than perfection" gen 5. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
Never.

Ok maybe after you have to sell a kidney.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks all, yeah... I've regretted selling some in the past for sure. These 2 pistol's I have won't ever see the light of day, they're safe queens, so I guess I need to decide when to convert them in to funds to use for functional firearms. 1st world problems lol!

-chris

This^

Don't sell guns.

Once you start selling and buying you stand a chance of becoming one of the glocktards, geardos, mall ninjas, or "operators" that are constantly selling a 3 month old gun to buy the latest and greatest slightly (but not really) upgraded model handgun in the hopes that they might actually become a proficient shooter. You know.....like all the 20 something year old muscle bound thick bearded oakly wearing wannabes I saw at state line last week trading in their gen 4 for the "improved more betterer than perfection" gen 5. [rolleyes]

So your'e saying I shouldn't buy the new iPhone Pro in a couple of weeks? Anyone need a 7 Plus?

So your'e saying I shouldn't buy the new iPhone Pro in a couple of weeks? Anyone need a 7 Plus?

Same crowd......

I wonder what the % gun owners in their 20s that use iPhones and own Glocks is?

Last edited:
Me personally?

I've sold guns b/c I really don't care for them. I HAD to have them. Now I don't. They need to go.

I've sold them b/c they have increased in value considerably. Namely the Spring after Newtown, I unloaded a pile of guns at Carl's and walked away with a handy profit. Again, guns I never shot.

I've got a few that I hang onto regardless. Ancient guns, relatively speaking. I have maybe 2-3 of those. Not many.

The rest? I have a few that I keep because you can't have them anymore.

I still have a "pile" of guns that I should get rid of. A few that I'm not sure would sell easily. At some point I'll get around to selling them. Even the not-easily ones, anything I can get is more than they are worth sitting around doing nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Same crowd......

I wonder what the % gun owners in their 20s that use iPhones and own Glocks is?

What about those of us in our late 40's???? Don't we matter??? ;)

I end up regretting each gun I have sold. Don't do it unless you really need to.
so true. and how many guns have i sold over the years and can't replace in mass. because of the laws in place now. you pay a kings ransom to get them back now.

Me personally?

I've sold guns b/c I really don't care for them. I HAD to have them. Now I don't. They need to go.

I've sold them b/c they have increased in value considerably. Namely the Spring after Newtown, I unloaded a pile of guns at Carl's and walked away with a handy profit. Again, guns I never shot.

I've got a few that I hang onto regardless. Ancient guns, relatively speaking. I have maybe 2-3 of those. Not many.

The rest? I have a few that I keep because you can't have them anymore.

I still have a "pile" of guns that I should get rid of. A few that I'm not sure would sell easily. At some point I'll get around to selling them. Even the not-easily ones, anything I can get is more than they are worth sitting around doing nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

What about those of us in our late 40's???? Don't we matter??? ;)

I assume the 40 something's have smartened up in their longevity and realized iPhones are a rip off.....am I wrong?

After I got my LTC (and C&R) I went on something of a buying spree. Now I have a policy that if I want to buy another gun, I need to sell enough guns or gun related items to cover the new gun(s). So, for me the decision to sell a gun is easy - do I want the new gun(s) more than the guns I have? I used to think it would be really hard to sell a gun, but I have found that I'm not as much of a collector as I thought I was. If I don't shoot a gun, or prefer another gun in the same role, it doesn't hurt to move it. Maybe I'm just not sentimental enough. Recently I sold a gen2 glock 19 to pick up a S&W model 65 with 3" barrel. I don't regret that trade at all, and I doubt I ever will - especially since I paid less for the 65 than I sold the glock for :)

Ive never sold any and the one I did trade I kind of wish I still had, even though I got the better of the trade.

I assume the 40 something's have smartened up in their longevity and realized iPhones are a rip off.....am I wrong?

So wrong, Samsung quality sucks. I don't need batteries blowing up, washing machines self destructing and refrigerators that eat mother boards. Now back to the original question.

Last edited:
So wrong, Samsung quality sucks. I don't need batteries blowing up, washing machines self destructing and refrigerators that eat mother boards. Now back to the original question.

Motorola

Back
Top Bottom