Whats the going rate for pre-ban AR15 mags?

Buddy of mine (who's not too hot with computers) just got his class A LTC. He's looking to get a AR15 as well as a bunch of pre-ban 30rd mags. He asked me what the average price is for a decent pre-ban mag is, and I have no clue so I figured I'd check with you guys. Also would it be cheaper to get them from a gunshop or to check online? (I told him to check the EE on arfcom) thanks

Too bad he isn't into computers... At another forum, I posted a WTB add and I was flooded with offers for 30 round USGI mags for $6 each!

Try AR15.COM, their Equipment Exchange forum has an area you can post WTB. I have gotten used preban 20 rd mags for about $10 usually, from individuals.

Too bad he isn't into computers... At another forum, I posted a WTB add and I was flooded with offers for 30 round USGI mags for $6 each!

share the wealth man!!!!

sell em on here for $10 a pop and ill buy 10 from you...$40 profit for ya

goodluck with that...ive lost out on a lot of good deals cuz guys wont ship mags to MA regardless of their preban status or not

Thats what I've noticed. Seems pretty pointless to list a preban mag and then not sell them to the very states that they are needed in.[rolleyes]

SemiAutoSam, he's looking for just some plain USGI 30 rounders, he already got a thermold.

Note, I first got a bunch of 30 rd mags, and now I can't stand them, and only use the 20 round mags.

Any particular reason why? More reliable or just easier to shoot prone?

That,and with the price of ammo nowadays,I just put one box in one mag.Unless I use some SA that come in 30 rd boxes.

Gone are the days of shooting 500 rounds a day...[sad]

As far as the original question,expect to pay around $20.There is an ad in the EE on ARF for NIB Labelle's @ $160 for 10.If I didn't have a shitload of them, I would be all over it.

Another option is to get some mags from C-Products and change out the floorplate.

Last edited:
Any particular reason why? More reliable or just easier to shoot prone?

20 rounders are just darn convenient.

Although I have plenty of 30s, I often find myself loading 5-10 rounds in a 20 instead.

These days with the price of ammo I rarely bring more than 100 rounds with
me if I am going to shoot the AR. Maybe someday if I get set up to
reload .223 this will change, but can't see that happening in the near future...
hell, I have to get set up to load .45 ACP first!

-Mike

I saw this on GunBroker,

4 for $43 (with shipping)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=73484324

They claim they were used in the original Desert Storm, but in researching and asking around, I can't seem to find any clues as to determine if they are in fact preban. And in other postings I see pictures with some codes on them like this...

pix1311962546.jpg

Anyone know anything about dates on these?

Emails to Orlite have fallen on deaf ears.

That kind of bothered me as well, but in other similar auctions people mention that they are good for states where you need pre-ban mags.

About the no sales to NY thing, I read online that any pre-ban magazines have to have the date of manufacture on the body somewhere. Mags made before the 94 AW ban with no dates on them are illegal. Maybe a NY resident could chime in.

Also, what are the laws in MA regarding damaged preban mags? Lets say a feedlip broke and left the mag useless, could you buy a replacement mag body for it? Or would you be SOL?

Also, what are the laws in MA regarding damaged preban mags? Lets say a feedlip broke and left the mag useless, could you buy a replacement mag body for it? Or would you be SOL?

MA laws and regs are SILENT on rebuilding. Unlike the Feds that had a Tech Branch to address such issues, we have NOBODY in MA to do so. Replace parts at your own peril, it's a huge gray area and as time goes on it will be more and more problematic.

After I got my AR15 in April I picked up 4 New-In-Wrapper USGI (Sanchez) 30rnd Pre-ban mags for $120 from a member here in the classifieds... $30 per mag... At the time I just wanted some mags...and there weren't many other options at the time... so was willing to pay the premium for the new never-been-used mags. Now that I've done a little more research...I know that that was silly. There's no reason to pay the premium for new-in-wrapper preban mags.

Then soon after, I found a deal on ARfcom: 10 Preban LaBelle USGI 30rnders with 95% finish for $154 shipped! ~$15/mag. All were in FANTASTIC condition and all work flawlessly. LaBelle is also one of the top top manufacturers of USGI mags. The guy selling them was in Arkansas and just wanted to see an emailed copy of my LTC Class A and he was good to go to ship to MA.

The Equipment Exchange on ARfcom is a great place to pick some up in my opinion. Tell your friend that ~$15-20 is definitely doable.

H

OK, I'm confused... I thought the magazine had to be owned by a resident of Mass before the ban took effect. Or is that only for the actual gun? I guess there's no paper trail on the mags but could someone clear this up for me, please?

OK, I'm confused... I thought the magazine had to be owned by a resident of Mass before the ban took effect. Or is that only for the actual gun? I guess there's no paper trail on the mags but could someone clear this up for me, please?

go to the goal web site (www.goal.org). They have links to all the MA laws and summaries so you can read/study it for yourself. MA gun owners need to know and understand these laws.

short answer is the mag just has to be manufactured pre ban. there is no ownership requirement. And the in state ownership issue only deals with certain handgun sales through a dealer.

The MA mag ban is a virtual replicant of the 1994 FEDERAL AWB provisions,
with a few limited caveats-

-MA law/AGs office is silent on the issue of rebuilding magazines. People
have gotten a myriad of answers from the CHSB about it, but being that the
answers were verbal in nature they're just about worthless... further, I'm
not even certain if CHSB has any authority to levy a binding opinion... and
I doubt anyone would get a letter from Coakley's office saying what the
"real deal" is. In MA there is no equivalent of BATFE tech branch to issue
legal opinions. (IMO this is a blessing and a curse, depending on how you
look at it).

-The MA law does not have descriptive wording/interpretation in it like the
fed AWB does; basically the feds emphatically state that the only way a
mag could be illegal WRT the old federal law was if it had LE or date
markings as described in the law. MA on the other hand is silent on this
sub-issue. Basically what this means is that MA folks with hi-caps do not
have a clearly vetted escape route if they end up in court on the wrong side
of the law. This isn't a huge problem but it does make a "mag charge"
more "prosecutorially viable" if that is such a term... whereas the feds would
never bring charges under the old ban if the mags were clean, because it was
nearly impossible to prosecute. Not so in MA- all they have to do is
(somehow) prove you have post 94 mags. To me this isn't a big
deal but it is important to know the difference.

I don't know where you got your information, but there is NO ban on importing
or moving any preban mags in mass. You can even import preban glocks
via an FFL transfer, or other items for that matter via various other legal
means. MA law is very confusing but it is often LESS restrictive than
some people go around blathering about. (I'm not saying the laws here
are good by any stretch... but I think there is a LOT of misinformation going
around about what is legal and what is not. Don't get me started on
the whole EOPS/MA compliance BS, with people strutting around going "oh
you cant own (insert name of new pistol not on the list) in MA, it's illegal"
and other falsehoods like that. )

Edit: One other important note- Unlike the federal ban, the MA AWB has
not expired. The politicos copied it and rubber stamped it in MA so the definitions,
etc, are preserved. The argument that "the fed ban is gone so the MA ban should
be too" doesn't hold water because the pols reinforced it. (and at the time, romney
was waxing with glee about it too, f'ing a-hole.... )

-Mike

Last edited:
I was at the Army Navy store in West Boylston last week to pick up a couple of ammo cans. They had NIB pre ban mags in a bin close to the counter. All are bagged with pre ban dates marked on them. The ones I saw were 30rds but there might have been some 20 rds mags there as well.

Single mags were 20 bucks a piece and a package of two were 35. Not terrible prices and there was quite a few of them for sale. A variety of USGI of multiple manufacturers.

Back
Top Bottom