What's the big deal with the HK416

its just funny here that probably most with an opinion about it probably hasn't shot it or even held one for that matter. There happy with their cheap POS m&p15 that they think is the sh*t because they were able to get it for dirt cheap.

Let's face it, in terms of value the MR556 sucks badly, there' s no real getting around that. You can buy two 6920s for the price of one of those HKs, and get 90% of the gun.

The MR556 is "better" if you're Gecko45. Beyond that it's just way overpriced. They'd have a winner if it was $1500-$2000 tops. Would I buy one if I had money to burn? Maybe... I'd probably buy the HK before any of the other piston AR variants, but I generally hate them all to begin with.

-Mike

I've held one...Never shot it. Fit and finish is like most HK stuff. Best of the best. If you have a ton of money to blow the price wont bother you. HK doesn't really care if the average working stiff can afford their product...Never have. It's only over priced if you cant afford it,wont spend it or are happy with the many rifles that are phenomenal for 1/3 of the price

People are really that dumb, and have that much money to blow on a piece up aluminum...disgusting.

It's probably an HK fanboi collector type who bought it hoping that in 3-5 years someone more insane than him will pay him 10K for it... and the sad thing is, he's probably right. (Recently someone here posted that there's like a 10K value bonus for having THE CARDBOARD BOX to go with an unfired PSG-1 HK rifle...) These collectors are full retard. If HK makes an ashtray and then stops making it it will appreciate in value by some stupid amount of money. The FFL/SOT types that found these lowers and declassified them are "real men of genius" to put it mildly. [laugh] I wish I was that
lucky to have a $150 lower that someone would pay me $6800 for. [laugh]

-Mike

i was just talking about the 416d lower and that price, i do have a mr556 upper on my seekins lower and absolutely love it
Same here. Even, as you pointed out, the civilian mr556 is a rip off, imo. I ended up going with LMT when I last looked at high end ARs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

i was just talking about the 416d lower and that price, i do have a mr556 upper on my seekins lower and absolutely love it

Right...I just meant to point out the distinction between 416 and 556. They are both nice pieces of equipment, just too expensive IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Do you operate in harsh desert conditions where a weapon malfunction would cost you your life or the life of a teammate? Do you regularly perform water-born/submerged insertions into hostile environments and require the ability to fire immediately upon surfacing? Do you find yourself using your rifle or carbine in a suppressive fire/fire superiority role on a frequent basis? Does your operational intensity preclude you from performing regular maintenance on your rifle or carbine? Do you regularly find yourself short of CLP? Do you have the budget of Army Special Operations Command or Navy Special Warfare Group? Are you an HK fanboi or fangirl?

If you answered yes to 1 or more of the above questions, then you too may need an HK416. [rolleyes]

Do you operate in harsh desert conditions where a weapon malfunction would cost you your life or the life of a teammate? Do you regularly perform water-born/submerged insertions into hostile environments and require the ability to fire immediately upon surfacing? Do you find yourself using your rifle or carbine in a suppressive fire/fire superiority role on a frequent basis? Does your operational intensity preclude you from performing regular maintenance on your rifle or carbine? Do you regularly find yourself short of CLP? Do you have the budget of Army Special Operations Command or Navy Special Warfare Group?

Only during my after lunch naps.

Are you an HK fanboi or fangirl?

If you answered yes to 1 or more of the above questions, then you too may need an HK416.

[laugh] Pretty much.

It's an awesome rifle in Battlefield 4.

Oh, that's not what you meant? [wink]

Ah... BF4... the most unrealistic combat game ever to exist. Where a 30-mm chain-gun requires 6 body-hits for a take-down.

- - - Updated - - -

I've held one...Never shot it. Fit and finish is like most HK stuff. Best of the best. If you have a ton of money to blow the price wont bother you. HK doesn't really care if the average working stiff can afford their product...Never have. It's only over priced if you cant afford it,wont spend it or are happy with the many rifles that are phenomenal for 1/3 of the price

Search utube for a UZI vs MP5 compare. Virtually the same gun, with the same accuracy. one is $500 to build from parts and the other is $2,000. Ironically, the uzi outperformed in full-auto overall.

Ah... BF4... the most unrealistic combat game ever to exist. Where a 30-mm chain-gun requires 6 body-hits for a take-down.

As opposed to CoD, where Sprint and Tactical Knife Perk let you kill everyone, up to and including targets armed with CQB submachine guns. In the Rock Paper Scissors world of video games, everyone knows that a KBar trumps a UMP45.

Search utube for a UZI vs MP5 compare. Virtually the same gun, with the same accuracy. one is $500 to build from parts and the other is $2,000. Ironically, the uzi outperformed in full-auto overall.

Those rascally Israelis...

Do you operate in harsh desert conditions where a weapon malfunction would cost you your life or the life of a teammate? Do you regularly perform water-born/submerged insertions into hostile environments and require the ability to fire immediately upon surfacing? Do you find yourself using your rifle or carbine in a suppressive fire/fire superiority role on a frequent basis? Does your operational intensity preclude you from performing regular maintenance on your rifle or carbine? Do you regularly find yourself short of CLP? Do you have the budget of Army Special Operations Command or Navy Special Warfare Group? Are you an HK fanboi or fangirl?

If you answered yes to 1 or more of the above questions, then you too may need an HK416. [rolleyes]

Dude, you haven't been at my range and the targets I shoot at. Yes, yes, yes and yes.

People are really that dumb, and have that much money to blow on a piece up aluminum...disgusting.

Really??Whether its a piece of aluminum or not its a collectable. Just like a Mickey Mantle rookie card, who would pay thousands of dollars for a piece of paper??? A Collector.

Their not paying for it cause it's great or the best, it's rare, and rare things are usually worth lots of money to a collector. I'm sure if 1000 of the first Colt lowers ever produced were for sale, they would be worth thousands, to me it ain't worth it, but to collector it is, remember, it's only a piece of aluminum. Same goes with the Hk 416, HK people or collectors know there is only a small amount, and they want them, to us they aint worth crap, but in reality they are cause of what people a paying.

Machine guns are a perfect example. There is a finite number of transferable registered machine guns. I could never justify 25k for an m16 cause i'm not rich, but collectors that have money will buy them for there collectability, some day they will be even rarer and collectors know it.

Nope, not many of us do, But if i did, it would be the one rifle i buy for the exact reasons stated above.

[crying]
It's probably an HK fanboi collector type who bought it hoping that in 3-5 years someone more insane than him will pay him 10K for it... and the sad thing is, he's probably right. (Recently someone here posted that there's like a 10K value bonus for having THE CARDBOARD BOX to go with an unfired PSG-1 HK rifle...) These collectors are full retard. If HK makes an ashtray and then stops making it it will appreciate in value by some stupid amount of money. The FFL/SOT types that found these lowers and declassified them are "real men of genius" to put it mildly. [laugh] I wish I was that
lucky to have a $150 lower that someone would pay me $6800 for. [laugh]

-Mike

So your saying I should not have missed placed my H&K ash tray and coffee cup from the late 80's early 90's ?[crying]

[crying]

So your saying I should not have missed placed my H&K ash tray and coffee cup from the late 80's early 90's ?[crying]

If HK had ever made a roll of say, commemorative HK94 toilet paper during the 80s it would probably be worth $1000 by now.

-Mike

If HK had ever made a roll of say, commemorative HK94 toilet paper during the 80s it would probably be worth $1000 by now.

-Mike

If it's as good as the HK416, i'm in.

Who wouldn't want German made toilet paper. i couldn't imagine how soft it would feel on my ass. It would take bowel movements to a "hole" new level.

Last edited:
Yea there legal. Your only going to find uppers, and on a few occasions there have been the legit 416d lowers on gunbroker lately. The real 416d lowers were selling for over $6k on gunbroker while the 416 uppers vary in price depending on the barrel length/ The 10.4', which requires a tax stamp when you install it on a lower, go for about $3k and up. Theres a 14.5" on gunbroker now with bids over $4k. The 16" and 20" 416 uppers are rare. Seen a 20" 416 upper sell for $10K on gunbroker.

Just to clarify a few points:

1. Except for the 100-200 Hk 416 D rifles that were imported in semi auto, the 416 is not legal to own.
2. Some of the 416 D's were ordered in factory semi auto by LEA's because their personnel were fairly unsophisticated with machine guns and they didn't want to have them shooting full auto.
3. Someone realized that the 100-200 semi auto Hk 416s were improperly classified as NFA items. They had them reclassified by ATF as SBRs and then later removed them from the NFA registry altogether.
4. Those 100-200 rifles are the ONLY legal legitimate Hk 416s that a civilian can own.
5. Hk 416 uppers are more readily available and, because they are not a "gun", can be owned by anyone (except the 10.4" upper, I believe, needs to be registered as an SBR if you put it on a lower).
6. The 10.4", 16.5" and 20" authentic Hk 416 uppers sell for between $3.5k - $8k depending on condition.
7. If you see an Hk 416 upper advertised for $2,200 it is probably just a MR556 converted to a 416 style upper. Read the fine print.
8. The 416 is one bad @ss rifle. You can sh!t on it all you want but there is a reason it is used by the greatest assault teams ever organized. They can have whatever they want and the fact that they chose the Hk 416 to carry out one of the most important missions in military history speaks volumes.

From what I've read, the SCAR shits on both the M-16 and the HK416.

You maybe exaggerating quite a bit, i do believe the Scar beat the M4 and the 416 in the 2007 trials, but no by much. I'm pretty sure the HK XM8 beat all of them.

The M4 was beat by quite a margin, the 416, scar, and XM8 were all pretty close.

From what I've read, the SCAR shits on both the M-16 and the HK416.

The real question you have to ask yourself, is, does it matter? I don't get this "fap fest" about whatever the military is using or whatever testing is supposedly done every time the DOD tries to make up an excuse to not revamp its own small arms program. This business about "the military is getting a new handgun" and "the military is getting a new cartridge" and "the military is getting a new rifle" has been so played out and beaten to death in the past decade that I don't know why anyone pays attention to it anymore. It's like someone advertising that they're getting a new tatooo... for 20 years, and their arm is still bare. [laugh]

Worrying about what the military uses (or even how they test their guns) is ****ing pointless. If it is something that happens to be a coincidence, then so be it... but anyone who uses it as a selection criteria for their own guns to buy is a moron. That would be as dumb as me saying that everyone should use only Glocks, Sigs and M&Ps because "dats what most police carry so its good for you". The whole thing is just mind numbing.

ProTip: Go take a class with any one of the leading carbine trainers in the US. I guarantee you at least 75% (it's probaby higher than this, but I'm being safe, for argument sake) of them are using a Tier-1 or Tier-2 DI gas rifle. That should probably tell you something...

-Mike

ProTip: Go take a class with any one of the leading carbine trainers in the US. I guarantee you at least 75% (it's probaby higher than this, but I'm being safe, for argument sake) of them are using a Tier-1 or Tier-2 DI gas rifle. That should probably tell you something...

-Mike

Mike, I agree with most of what you are saying. There are many reasons why LEAs and certain military branches contract for certain weapons, but when it comes to the ultra-elite forces (SEALs, Delta, etc.) they are able to choose whatever weapons they want. And, more often than not, they are taken Hk 416s as their assault rifles. Also, there is a big difference between match shooting and life risking military missions where the difference is life or death, not 1'st or 2'nd. I know someone who was one of the original Hk representatives (back when SACo was the importer) and he demo'd Hk weapons throughout the U.S., including to the famed Texas Rangers. And, he said that if money and politics were taken out of the equation, 9 out of 10 agencies would buy Hk products. That is saying something.

Mike, I agree with most of what you are saying. There are many reasons why LEAs and certain military branches contract for certain weapons, but when it comes to the ultra-elite forces (SEALs, Delta, etc.) they are able to choose whatever weapons they want. And, more often than not, they are taken Hk 416s as their assault rifles. Also, there is a big difference between match shooting and life risking military missions where the difference is life or death, not 1'st or 2'nd. I know someone who was one of the original Hk representatives (back when SACo was the importer) and he demo'd Hk weapons throughout the U.S., including to the famed Texas Rangers. And, he said that if money and politics were taken out of the equation, 9 out of 10 agencies would buy Hk products. That is saying something.

I know someone who said he was an operator, and he said you are wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

I know someone who said he was an operator, and he said you are wrong.

Wrong about what, exactly. That they can choose their weapons? That they use Hk's? That the Hk 416 was used in Operation Neptune Spear? What exactly am I wrong about?

Back
Top Bottom