Whats in your wallet?(I mean range bag)

Working my way to the realization of a "hobby" I'm very excited about. 1)Applied for late late Jan and recently issued "A" no restriction LTC. 2)Purchased what I feel is a sweet 9mm. 3) Applied for membership tonight at my local range. NOT CHEAP so far! but my bride of 29 years and mom to our three kiddos is cool with it! Enough about me. Question for y'all is what beyond the basic "ears, eyes and targets" do ya carry in your range bag?

Always have a few extra sets of eyes & ears, ammo, basic cleaning kit, extra magazines, ammo, stapler, extra staples, spotting 'scope, ammo, basic tools, (Adj wrench, needle nose pliers, screwdriver W/multiple tips, parallel jaw pliers) , wood dowel sized to barrel iffin' I'm shootin' reloads, extra ammo & waterbottle. [smile]

Always have a few extra sets of eyes & ears, ammo, basic cleaning kit, extra magazines, ammo, stapler, extra staples, spotting 'scope, ammo, basic tools, (Adj wrench, needle nose pliers, screwdriver W/multiple tips, parallel jaw pliers) , wood dowel sized to barrel iffin' I'm shootin' reloads, extra ammo & waterbottle. [smile]

I think you summed it up for me.

Two pairs of ears, eyes...
Targets of all kinds
Extra magazines for each gun I bring
Stapler / staples & duck tape
ammo
That's about it.

BTW My "range bag" is basically an old back-pack that has locks on it. It works.

Add to that: a roll of 1-1/2" sticky dots for when you run out of targets, insect repellent, a gun rug, a mesh bag to collect brass, a de-mooning tool, Boresnakes, and WD-40 soaked wipes to wipe down blued guns that get wet.

Small package of thumb tacks just in case your staple gun goes missing or is empty. Candy bar/energy bar to get rid of the low blood sugar shakes. Flashlight because you never know when it may be handy. I also shoot with it on occasion just to practice something different.

All of the above and a box of jumbo chip clips. My range only has rope between polls so you have to clip your targets on. Oh, also a set of light gloves for the cold days.

Magic marker for marking/writing targets, and any firearm specific sight adjustment or take down tools - like a 1911 bushing wrench and SKS sight pusher.

...and all the other stuff that people have already listed. I could use some gunshot specific first aid stuff to back up the kit in the truck, though.

hmmm...

One thing I've discovered is no matter how big the range bag is, it's not big enough!

Here's what I've got:
(2+) pair of eyes
(1) Ears
(handfull) single use ear plugs
Spotting Scope
Staple gun
Staples
Snap caps
Bore Snake
Ammo
More ammo
Yet more ammo
Spare magazines
Pens + Markers
Gun Rug
Oil Cloth
A few tools (screw drivers, Allen wrenches, pick)
Timer (for bullseye practice)
Spare red dot batteries

Need to add some trauma/first aid kits to both cars (save room in the bag!). That's a good idea regardless.

Since the moron with a Glock incident a couple weeks ago, I now also carry a first aid kit in my bag.

First aid kit is not a bad Idea, duct tape is another thing I never thought to carry. One of the odd things I carry is baby wipes, my range has NO facilities, so I use them to wash my hands before eating, drinking, and just before I drive home. I don't want to ingest more lead than is necessary.

Firearms, ammo, eyes, ears, and targets in my range bag. I carry a separate toolbox with tools, cleaning supplies, flashlight, rags, and spares. Remember to follow safe transport laws with your bag.

Chris

Range Bag:

Gun Rugs with Magazines
Ammunition
Hearing Protection-Electronic
Extra 9V batteries
Eye Protection- Prescription (2 or 3 pair)
Timer
Surefire Flash Light and belt carrier
Holster(s)
Magazine Holders and/or Speed Loaders
Brass Rod
Staple Gun
Staples
Pen(s)
Target Tape
Band-Aids
Zip Lock bags (for dirty brass)

Truck Cab:

Hearing Protection-Electronic (2nd Set)
Eye Protection Non-Prescription
Cloth Gun Rags
First Aid Kit

Truck Cap:

Hearing Protection (loaners 3 Sets)
Eye Protection (loaners 4 Sets)
Steel Target Stands (3)
Steel Targets, round 8” (3)
Paper Target Stands, metal (4)
Wood Frames for Paper Targets Stands (4)
Paper IDPA Targets <100
Cardboard IDPA Targets <50
Bowling Pin Paper Targets <100
Heavy Staple Gun
Heavy Staples

You might think I actually shoot more then I do.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Oh yeah, I forgot shooting gloves. Not for the cold but for the recoil.

Never thought I'd need these until the .460 arrived. Holy Crap!

Range bag:
Stapler with box of staples
Eyes x2
Ears x2 plus a handful of foamies
Small first aid kit (big one is in the truck)
Insect repellant
Sun screen
Ziplock bags (for spent brass)
Spare mags for guns brought that day
Small tool kit
Small cleaning kit
Gun specific tools for guns brought that day
Gun specific holster(s) for guns brought that day
Kitchen towels x2
Speed loaders
Pen
Sharpie
Motrin
Cheap crappy goatskin gloves (until I get decent shooting gloves)
Caliber specific oak dowels (for squibs)
Notebook

Back of SUV:
Guns (locked/secured)
Targets
Clays (never know when shot gun fun may break out)
Hand clay thrower x2
3 ammo cans with ammo for that day (locked/secured)
mexican blanket x2 (good for prone or to cover damp bench, also
keeps wifey warm on windy days)
Shooting bags (Caldwell Deadshot-front and rear)
Small cooler with drinks and snacks
Duct tape
General tool kit

Another idea or two

A small digital camera and small notepad (with pen/pencil) are handy items too. The notepad for notes [shocked] and the camera can be used to take pics of your friends that you bring to the range. It can also be used to take pics of tagets instead of keeping them.

/John

I keep a package of small paper plates and a package of index cards to use as targets instead of buying pre-printed targets. The paper plates come in different sizes, and are cheap. With a roll of target dots or cheaper yet, filing dots from a stationary supply store, you will always have plenty of targets with you.

Back
Top Bottom