Whats in your Bug Out Bag?

learn to multi-task your items.
! tool does 5 jobs. All that stuff is not functional. separate your needs from your wants...:)

You forgot Water Proof Bags (in water proof bag)
[laugh2]

just kidding, great list!

But seriously, I was curious why he didn't just buy a waterproof (floating) bag to store everything in? [thinking]

Not to mention some items are REALLY not needed.

-I can see adding a flattened roll of toilet paper but then you don't need tissues.
-Hand sanitizer but then you don't need wet-wipes.
-spare mag w/ ammo in it takes up less space.
-dust masks... WHY if you have a GAS MASK???
-I think cash, note paper, gps, and cell phone would be useless (last 2 probably wouldn't work... but I always have mine with me anyways, so its a mute point.

et cetera...

but its not a bad list overall. [wink]

Some things in my BOB:

[STRIKE]Small Folding[/STRIKE] Knife
Matches/ Lighter [STRIKE](in waterproof container)[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]Glow Sticks
Flash Light (In water Proof Bag)[/STRIKE]
Emergency Med Kit
[STRIKE]Extra Batteries (In water Proof Bag)
Small SW Radio with back-up batteries (In water Proof Bag)
Power Bars (In water Proof Bag)[/STRIKE]
(H2O Purification Tablets)
[STRIKE]Bottled Water (s)
(MREs: 2 -3 days?)
Emergency First Aid Kit (In water Proof Bag) + Immodium AD
Potassium Iodide
Complete Hygiene Kit:
Tooth Brush/small tooth paste/Small Shampoo/Small Soap/Small [/STRIKE][STRIKE]Facecloth/Small Cloth (In water Proof Bag)
Multi Tool
Spare Cell Phone Battery (In water Proof Bag)
Cell Phone Hearing Device (In water Proof Bag)[/STRIKE]
GPS (In water Proof Bag)
[STRIKE]Book(s) (In water Proof Bag)
Copy of Driver’s License and Passport (In water Proof Bag)
Vaseline/Moisturizer
Lip Balm[/STRIKE]
Para Chord
Compass
[STRIKE]Local Map (In water Proof Bag)[/STRIKE]
Rain Poncho
[STRIKE]Gloves (Rubber & Outdoor) (In water Proof Bag)
Note-pad & Pen(s) + Pencil (In water Proof Bag)
Marker[/STRIKE]
Emergency Foil/Thermal Blanket (AKA - Space Blanket)
Spare Socks [STRIKE](In water Proof Bag)[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]T-Shirt (In water Proof Bag)
Baseball Hat/ Boonie Hat (In water Proof Bag)[/STRIKE]
Small Flask Bottle of good liquor :)
[STRIKE]Small Binoculars
Small Pack of Tissues
Hand sanitizer
Zip Ties
Wet Wipes[/STRIKE]
Spare Pistol Magazines [STRIKE](In water Proof Bag)[/STRIKE]
Spare Bullets [STRIKE](In water Proof Bag)[/STRIKE]
Gun Cleaner or Mini Gun Cleaner Kit [STRIKE](In water Proof Bag)[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]Duct Tape or Tyvek Tape
Plastic Bags/Garbage Bag
Small Foot Powder (In water Proof Bag)
Hand Warmer Pack
FRS Radio with Weather Channel (In water Proof Bag)[/STRIKE]
Mosquito Repellant
[STRIKE]Goggles
(3) N95 Dust Masks (In water Proof Bag)[/STRIKE]
Emergency Cash (In water Proof Bag)
Tin Foil Hat ;-)
[STRIKE]Small Paper Back books (2)
CB Radio/Scanner
Emergency Radio[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]Food[/STRIKE]
Toilet Paper
[STRIKE]Chem suite
Gas Mask
Extra Filters
Gas Mask hood
Chem Gloves
Chem Booties[/STRIKE]

Realize also, that there are many creative methods to lighten up and condense all such items, for lighter weight, and smaller spaces.

Just did that for you.

...wait: why isn't the TP in a waterproof bag?

Last edited:
I have a mid size hiking pack (4000ish Cu in made by Mountain Smith) that I keep in my trunk so I can hit the road for a quick 2-3 day trip whenever the mood strikes me. Though I never really thought of it as such, after reading through some of these posts I guess it could serve as a fairly well equipped BoB if I ever needed it. I just did a quick run down of my current gear and the list includes:
2 1L nalgene bottles
1 collapsable platypus drinking "bag"?
2-3 5 hour energy bottles
6 juice packets
3-4 Mountain House dehydrated meals
2-3 Mountain House Bacon/Eggs meals
3 packets of tuna
6 Power Bars/Clif Bars
2 sets of Lexan untensils
2 lexan bowls/plates
1 insulated travel mug
1 camping stove w/ 2 fuel cans
1 nested pot/pan set
katadyn water filter w/ extra filter (one of the best purchases I've ever made)
backup water tablets
rain poncho
Kelty 2 person hiking tent
tent ground sheet
extra tent stakes
1 spare pole
0 degree synthetic down sleeping bag
thermarest sleeping pad
First aid kit a la NutnFancy
space blanket
2 spare shirts (synthetic, 0% cotton)
3 pairs of light hiking socks
2 pairs underwear
1 pair pants
1 pair gaiters
extra boot laces
2 folding knives
2 multi tools
1 Becker BK7
1 folding camp saw
1 Gerber Hatchet
1 Compass
maps/trail guides for MA, CT, and VT
1 Petzl headlamp
1 Black Diamond mini lantern
1 Coleman min lantern
extra AA and AAA batteries
1 Weather proof lighter
1 Flint
I usually strap a backpacking guitar to my pack when I'm in MA or CT
For VT I replace the guitar with a Marlin 795 w/ 2 bricks of Minimags

This serves me pretty well for my style of light through hiking/car camping. Over the summer I took a trip where I was able to stretch the food out for a little over a week, but only because I was able to supplement it with some fish that I caught.

Also I'd keep the multi tool (never know what you might come across and need to remove)

Lose the multitool. There will be plenty of real tools around. Hammer, hacksaw, and a pair of screwdrivers are all you need, open up a garage. This is a SHTF situation, not wilderness survival.

and the hand sanitizer (can double as a fuel to start a fire).

Wild Turkey. But If we're in a bug out situation and I see you washing your hands with it I'll kill you.

I think Craig's List (pardon the pun) is quite a bit. Personally, I'd like to see it packed. Not to start a flame-fest. His factors advice is spot on.

Personal protection/preservation
Water-or the means to acquire/purify it.
Heat-or the means to stay warm
Shelter-or protection from the elements at least
Food-in whatever form.

Pretty much in that order. Cell phones, radios? Useless. Batteries, flashlights? Good to about zero degrees or so. Alot of dead weight here. If you're carrying a BOB in the car, I would advise:
Make sure it's in the damn car. Nothing belongs in there that won't take the extreme heat of summer or cold in winter that forces it in and out and begs the opportunity to 1) forget it and 2) stop doing it because its a PITA.

If you can't carry it forever, thin the damn thing out.

Never underestimate the morale boost of a good wipe. Or dry socks. Pack accordingly.

MY BOB assumes that I will eventually abandon my vehicle and hoof it. Not cross country, but perhaps a day or two. There is little by way of extra clothing (extra stuff in the winter is about all) No water at all. I would say (at a stretch) 5 days worth of food.

Lose the multitool. There will be plenty of real tools around. Hammer, hacksaw, and a pair of screwdrivers are all you need, open up a garage. This is a SHTF situation, not wilderness survival.

Never!
I have the Gerber "Flik" I love it,Its a "SHTF -MUST" I carry & use it EVERY day.
Its not practical for anyone to carry around a duffel bag of burglary tools,pick axes,hacksaws,pry bars etc.(real world or WSHTF)
I don't carry a gun every day,but I never leave home w/o the Gerb.

multitool003.jpg

multitool002.jpg

Never!
I have the Gerber "Flik" I love it,Its a "SHTF -MUST" I carry & use it EVERY day.
Its not practical for anyone to carry around a duffel bag of burglary tools,pick axes,hacksaws,pry bars etc.(real world or WSHTF)
Not to mention that it's always preferable to NOT get shot as a looter if you try to break into the wrong garage. Like, say, MINE.

Not to mention that it's always preferable to NOT get shot as a looter if you try to break into the wrong garage. Like, say, MINE.

+1 I agree have your "Ducks in a row" pre-shtf.
Trying to "Aquire" equiptment is a risky or possibly fatal proposition, especially around Dwarvan's tool shed.[wink]

Never!
I don't carry a gun every day,but I never leave home w/o the Gerb.

multitool003.jpg

multitool002.jpg

If it's already on you, why would you have one in your BOB? [wink]

If it's already on you, why would you have one in your BOB? [wink]

Correct, I carry one on me daily,thus I'm an advocate.

Perhaps you & others who do not carry one daily basis should consider one, or a similar type, for their BOB......or maybee not [wink]

Fifth of Wild Turkey.

Good choice....I went for Everclear instead.
I bought a hip flask out of walmart for $3.50, labeled it C2H5OH,
and filled it with the hooch that doubles as a fuel, antiseptic, and gentle/not-so-toxic solvent cleaner. (a.k.a. plastic/human safe acetone substitute)

I tend not to leave mine packed, because i only own one backpack; but when it is packed (like if im going somewhere), i usually have:

Surefire M4 (flashlight)
SF spares carrier (6 CR123s, replacement lamp for M4)
CS Trailmaster
Shemagh
1-2 liters of water
Lean 2-3 day supply of food
Med kit
Stove kit (Vargo Triad XE, 2 small pots, matches/lighter, denatured alcohol)
ENO Hammock w/ fly
RITR Field Notebook
Change of socks/underwear

I might also pack my hardshell trousers and smock

On my person I usually carry/have:

Fleece/Softshell
SF G2L
Strider SMF/SnG (one or the other or both)
Up to 2 Strider SLCC
Pen
Pad
Oakley M-Frames
Lighter

I don't know about the rest of you, but I keep fussing with my bag. I change the contents regularly as I find better ideas or decide something isn't really required.

Right now, the 'pack' is a large daypack. Not exactly 'stealth', but it also does not scream anything more than "hiker". It has a lot of nice features and compartments that make it a good choice.

It's not so much a Bug-out-bag as a "what would you like to have when you really need it" bag. I don't have to carry much with me if I go to the office. I carry my pack. Easy enough to toss in the car when we go out. It has essentials like spare diapers and extra shirt/pants for the kids. A set of long underwear for me and a pair of tights and a synthetic long sleeve shirt. Both are fairly warm and make great layering under street clothes. I might look a little funny, but that's not really a concern. And all these clothes take up less space than a single pair of denim jeans.

The obligatory first aid kit is quite compact now and has a huge array of stuff that is most likely to be needed. There is a SAM splint in there too, but only because it does not take up much room. The only downside to the kit is that the container I have it in is packed really tight and getting it closed after use is a chore. Still, it is well protected, compact and comprehensive.

There is a Snow Claw in there that takes up minimal room, but could come in handy if I'm stuck in a blizzard. http://www.snowclaw.com/ Can also be used as a splint if needed.

Have a small tarp, but looking to replace that with a sil-nylon version to save some weight and space. Perhaps something from Oware or even Tarptent. Also have an Adventure Medical Bivi Bag in case of an unexpected overnight. Would like to pack a second, but need some more space.

Keep going back and forth on the food thing. At one time I had a couple packets of freeze dried food and a small cook set. Now I have 2 MRE and a pack of Mainstay Emergency Rations. I still like the idea of a compact cook set, but space is a premium and that plus any real food takes up a lot.

Fire - Carry 3 ways. A Windmill lighter, a Spark-Lite, and some NATO matches. For tinder, I used to collect drier lint, but lately I've packed a little baggie with vasoline soaked cotton balls. A little messy, but are easy to ignite and burn long and hot enough to get something going. Very cheap to get too. Chances are you have the materials in your wife's stuff. Honestly, I'll be VERY surprised if I need more than the lighter. Its a very high quality, holds a lot of Butane on a charge, and seems to not leak at all. Even so, I actually had fun getting used to using the Spark-Lite. Took a little time to get the flint broken in properly, but now it really sends a shower of sparks.

Most important thing is water. I have a couple of Nalgene bottles and the pack itself holds a 3 liter hydro system. I don't carry much water normally. A small cooler with a Nalgene and maybe some milk or a juice box for the kids. But if things are going south, I can fillup with as much as 5 liters. I also carry a small Pur Pioneer filter that attaches to the Nalgene bottles (one less thing to juggle). The Pioneer is discontinued, but it does a great job filtering for its size. I'll want something more substantial for longer term use, but as an ultra portable, it does the trick. Also carry the new Katadyn tablets. Virtually no odor or flavor, and will pretty much kill anything in any water in a maximum of 4 hours (much less if the water is cleaner (ie. filtered) and not real cold.)

The ability to melt snow is one reason I really want to get the cookset back into the pack. Extra bivi sack or cookset. Damn hard choice.

Have a little ditty bag with stuff like toothpaste, deodorant, razor, multi-purpose soap, etc. Enough to clean up and feel human.

Tools. Nice fixed blade knife. I carry a folder every day, but when you need a real knife, nothing beats a simple sturdy 4" fixed blade. Mine is a Polkowski Companion which is not cheap, but a very strong, robust, and well made knife. I carry it in a custom sheath inverted on the pack strap and have a belt sheath in the pack as well that I can transfer it to when around 'camp'.

Gerber folding saw. I've used a Sven folding bow saw and it works really really well, but even folded it is large and it is tough to keep it from rattling. Tried a hand chainsaw for a bit and nothing cuts large stuff better than this. You can use it solo or with another person to really speed through wood. But in a real 'survival' situation, you won't be cutting down large trees, you'll be looking to cut up stuff 4" or less for a useful and small fire. The Gerber does this easily and packs away well.

Multi-tool. Currently have a Gerber with all the essentials on it like knife, screwdrivers, scissors, crimpers, wire cutters, can and bottle openers, and so on. Most importantly, every implement locks open, so no sudden collapse. Handles are pretty comfy to use as well.

Knife sharpeners. Have both a DMT fine (red) flat stone for honing a really good edge on a straight blade and a tapered rod style for working the serrated part of my carry knife. I still prefer having a partial serrated edge, so I need a tool to keep it in good shape.

I always have my Patriot LED flashlight on me, but the pack also contains two others. A tiny squeeze type attached to the outside to make finding things in the dark easier, and inside I've had the Surefire N9, the Liotec Behemoth, and a few others. Right now, the Liotech hunter is in there as a compromise to size and power. A couple sets of CR123 are also stowed away inside.

An Icom R3 radio (every frequency in every mode receiver with scan ability) with Energizer Lithium batteries as well as spares allows me to listen to virtually anything that is transmitted from regular AM and FM stations to public service and even international ham bands.

2 Meter Icom P2AT handi-talkie. With rechargeable pack and a pack with Lithium batteries. Toying with getting a new radio that is much better on battery life, but not in the budget right now.

Have a Candle lantern in the pack right now, but I've ordered a Krill light. Basically the same glow as a light stick, but lasts a LOT longer and you can turn it on and off as desired. No flame or heat to attract bugs, easy on night vision, and virtually bomb proof. I have high hopes for this upgrade.

Rain Poncho. I had one of the simple cheap 'emergency' styles that I got when I visited Niagra Falls, but its isn't really designed to be used in bad weather under any kind of stress. Have a better Vinyl one in a dull drab color that is stronger, more comfortable, and can still be rolled up fairly small. Drapes lower too to keep legs drier.

Various other stuff like bug repellent, sun screen, blistex, bandanas, signal mirror, Fox 40 whistle, large piece of heavy aluminum foil to act as a heat reflector, paracord, ducttape (rolled onto a tube that contains several fish hooks, lead weights, and a roll of monofilament), some lightweight aluminum tent stakes, titanium utensils, 22 gage utility wire, array of cable ties, roll of TP (small), leather work gloves, heat packets, and so on.

Oh yea, and a copy of the "Pocket Ref", "SAS Survival Guide Handbook", and Adventure Medical's "Survival Cards" which are a nice quick reference on weatherproof plastic stock.

Keep going back and forth on what sidearm I'd want. I'd likely have my carry gun regardless, but when things are going to hell, what then? I'd really like a rifle, but that is a little impractical to be lugging around everywhere. The ideal would be a .45 and the 'best' .45 for this job I have is the M&P. Still working out how best to make that happen. Don't like the idea of the gun in the car or in the pack. Saw an interesting gun rug made of a steel wire reinforced kevlar. I have no illusion that it would stop a determined thief, but your average pocket knife is not cutting into it. That's fine with the pack with me at all times, but I don't want to leave that anywhere regardless.

As always, the process continues....

There is a Snow Claw in there that takes up minimal room, but could come in handy if I'm stuck in a blizzard. http://www.snowclaw.com/ Can also be used as a splint if needed.

snow claw seems pretty cool, but if your looking for a splint that takes up very little room check out rollup "SAM" splints (theyve got very thin metal sandwhiched in foam and can be molded and reused)

Sam-Splint-4.jpg

If you look, I have a SAM. The Snow Claw is NOT only for splint use. This 6oz device is useful as a scoop for snow (no, its not a real shovel, but easier than your hands when you need to move snow), a seat, sled, and provides a stiffener to the pack making it easier to open and access other stuff.

How about a Henry AR-7 or a Marlin Papoose?

Fairly limited use I would think.

Then again, perhaps my pack is contrary to the name of this thread.

With very young kids, any kind of bug-out would be difficult if we could not guarantee the ability to drive away. So, right now the plan is to be able to get home and lay low until a better plan can be devised based on the situation. My pack is geared to making that possible in various weather, civil unrest, etc. as well as being a well stocked minor emergency resource (a far more likely use).

As a result, I'm looking for things to keep me moving or safe when I can't move, not long term wilderness survival. Lets face it, eliminating the cook set if I was envisioning any length of outing would be foolish, but for a couple days at most, it is really not needed.

While my travels might well be uneventful, I can't count on it. I might have to travel solely at night or keep off roads entirely.

Ability to make quick shelter, warmth, and provide nourishment were a priority in the "Get Home" mode, but personal defense was not far behind.

In the concept of "getting back to home" any need of a firearm is likely to be one of self-defense, not food. Given that, I'd much rather a .45 with 11 rounds than a .38 with 5 regardless of how many reloads I might have. Besides, having two guns opens up more options as well. I would still prefer a rifle, but between a .45 handgun and a .22 rifle, the handgun seems the better choice.

Back
Top Bottom