What's in your Bug out Bag?

Answer:

Clothes:
2 Changes of Clothes
Wool Sweater
Fleece Vest
4 pairs of Socks

Survival:
Small Survival kit (not going to detail it here, but shelter, light, fire and emergency food)
Small First Aid Kit (Meds, Bandages, needle & thread, tape, scissors, anti-septic)
Quality Knife

Protection:
4 boxes of ammunition - 2 rifle and 2 pistol
Firearms are not in bug-out-bag but intended to be grabbed seperately. If my safe was large enough to hold the BOB, I would store the weapons in and and the bag in the safe.
Click-Stick 26" expandable baton

Documents:
Copy of Birth Certificate
Copy of US Passport
Copy of Morgage Documents

100 USD in Cash

Goal for Bug Out Bag:
Have everything I need for 2-3 days available for immediate grab should a situation arise that I need to leave my home within 30 minutes. Rifle and pistol have spare mags ready in the safe for quick access, spare ammo in bag is to supplement this in case the situation becomes extremely dangerous.

I need to work on a longer duration bug out bag for the possibility of an extended service outage that will require leaving the home for an extended period. I know have a fiancee, so I need to put together a second short duration bag first.

Gonzo,

Didn't I list that? Antiseptic?

Actually, I'm more of a red wine drinker personally, but I don't consider that a survival item. If you're going to pack alcohol make sure it's strong enough to burn.

Whats in your Bug Out Bag? Just trying to get some ideas/suggestions.
6 Calume litesticks
Zippo lighter w/xtra flints & fluid
Quality multi tool (gerber)
3 pairs of cotton socks
2 pairs underwhere (boxers or briefs you choose)
Glock 22 w/3hi-cap mags
roll of duct tape
cable "zip-ties"
1rst aid kit
Cell phone (pre-paid spare "cheap-0" )& sunglasses
Fifth of Wild Turkey

the water filter is in my bug out jeep,,, my wife and i each have packs and we split the mre's and food bars,,, i also have a multitool, i carry the .44 and ammo, we also carry 40 1 qt water purification tabs each http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q...Micropur™ Purification Tablets (Package of 30) with collapsable 1 qt water jugs.http://www.amazon.com/MedTrade-Products-Ltd-Celox/dp/B000KCLI2C/ref=pd_sim_hpc_1 ,,, lots of gauze, very important, its mil spec. its also important to have some sort of moral booster,,,,http://www.northbaytrading.com/dried-fruit/freeze-dried-fruit?gclid=CIGryJL6tZwCFado5Qod4XP0Kg
also i carry 10x binoculars,, emergency poncho's,, waterproof matches,,,and some other stuff,,,,, dont forget baby wipes!!!!!

Last edited:
Items that should be considered in a BOB are based on lots of "individual" factors. Some are:

- What you can carry with your frame/height/weight/etc
- Distance from your Target Location.
- Your physical conditioning- Distance from where you think you wil be, when, TSHTF.
- "Your" Individual needs.
- The Time of year: cold, hot, damp? etc (affects what should be in your bag)
- Local laws governing defensive items (if that matters to you)
- How will you will travel: Drive, motor-bike, bicycle, hike, walk on paved surfaces, hills, terrain, etc, etc.
- Your Personal Medical issues/needs
- Locality and area of travel: city/urban/rural
- your Pack Type: What blends in best?
- Pack Type: What suites your personal needs?
- Pack Type: What you are able to carry comfortably for long, or short distances

Some things in my BOB:

Small Folding Knife
Matches/ Lighter (in waterproof container)
Glow Sticks
Flash Light (In water Proof Bag)
Emergency Med Kit
Extra Batteries (In water Proof Bag)
Small SW Radio with back-up batteries (In water Proof Bag)
Power Bars (In water Proof Bag)
(H2O Purification Tablets)
Bottled Water (s)
(MREs: 2 -3 days?)
Emergency First Aid Kit (In water Proof Bag) + Immodium AD
Potassium Iodide
Complete Hygiene Kit:
Tooth Brush/small tooth paste/Small Shampoo/Small Soap/Small Facecloth/Small Cloth (In water Proof Bag)
Multi Tool
Spare Cell Phone Battery (In water Proof Bag)
Cell Phone Hearing Device (In water Proof Bag)
GPS (In water Proof Bag)
Book(s) (In water Proof Bag)
Copy of Driver’s License and Passport (In water Proof Bag)
Vaseline/Moisturizer
Lip Balm
Para Chord
Compass
Local Map (In water Proof Bag)
Rain Poncho
Gloves (Rubber & Outdoor) (In water Proof Bag)
Note-pad & Pen(s) + Pencil (In water Proof Bag)
Marker
Emergency Foil/Thermal Blanket (AKA - Space Blanket)
Spare Socks (In water Proof Bag)
T-Shirt (In water Proof Bag)
Baseball Hat/ Boonie Hat (In water Proof Bag)
Small Flask Bottle of good liquor :)
Small Binoculars
Small Pack of Tissues
Hand sanitizer
Zip Ties
Wet Wipes
Spare Pistol Magazines (In water Proof Bag)
Spare Bullets (In water Proof Bag)
Gun Cleaner or Mini Gun Cleaner Kit (In water Proof Bag)
Duct Tape or Tyvek Tape
Plastic Bags/Garbage Bag
Small Foot Powder (In water Proof Bag)
Hand Warmer Pack
FRS Radio with Weather Channel (In water Proof Bag)
Mosquito Repellant
Goggles
(3) N95 Dust Masks (In water Proof Bag)
Emergency Cash (In water Proof Bag)
Tin Foil Hat ;-)
Small Paper Back books (2)
CB Radio/Scanner
Emergency Radio
Food
Toilet Paper
Chem suite
Gas Mask
Extra Filters
Gas Mask hood
Chem Gloves
Chem Booties

Realize also, that there are many creative methods to lighten up and condense all such items, for lighter weight, and smaller spaces.

Last edited:
You forgot kitchen sink [laugh]
What king of "Bug-out-bag" do you store this much stuff in?
What is the weight on all this gear loaded in your pack?

Items that should be considered in a BOB are based on lots of "individual" factors. Some are:

- Your physical conditioning- Distance from where you think you wil be, when, TSHTF.
- How will you will travel: Drive, motor-bike, bicycle, hike, walk on paved surfaces, hills, terrain, etc, etc.
- Pack Type: What you are able to carry comfortably for long, or short distances

Some things in my BOB:

Small Folding Knife
Glow Sticks
Emergency Med Kit
Bottled Water (s)
Potassium Iodide
Complete Hygiene Kit:
Tooth Brush/small tooth paste/Small Shampoo/Small Soap/Small Facecloth/Small Cloth (In water Proof Bag)
Multi Tool
GPS (In water Proof Bag)
Vaseline/Moisturizer
Lip Balm
Para Chord
Compass
Rain Poncho
Marker
Small Binoculars
Small Pack of Tissues
Hand sanitizer
Zip Ties
Wet Wipes
Duct Tape or Tyvek Tape
Plastic Bags/Garbage Bag
Hand Warmer Pack
Mosquito Repellant
Goggles
Tin Foil Hat ;-)
CB Radio/Scanner
Emergency Radio
Food
Toilet Paper
Chem suite
Gas Mask
Extra Filters
Gas Mask hood
Chem Gloves
Chem Booties

Realize also, that there are many creative methods to lighten up and condense all such items, for lighter weight, and smaller spaces.

holy crap nhcraigt,,,, tats a metric buttload of stuff lol.. it is good advice,, but as glostamon stated itd be a bit much to carry. my stuff is divided between my jeep, my wife and i ,,,, perhaps you may state what is where? i am a minimalist,, perhaps you might condense youre list a bit....... not what you would like to carry but what you actually would bug out with? even if its a gun and some pop tarts,,, lets keep it real :)

Craig,

I'd be interested to know how big and how much all that weighs. I know it looks like a huge list, but most of it is pretty light. It's much more extensive than what I have prepped. I tend to focus on:

Light
Warmth
Shelter
Medical
Water
Food

In that order. Same with my car, though the car serves as an emergency shelter for the most part. The order is based on some reading I did a while back from a retired SAS survival instructor. He bases priorties on how long you can survive without something. He then alters priorities slightly based on local enviornment and availability.

My latest addition was a pack of "magic candles". The trick ones you can't blow out. Thought it would be good if a needed a flame for a few minutes if it's windy... if it's too windy, I might not be able to get the candle lit though!

very few seem to take this seriously but it is very important.you must consider 1st aid,,, food and above all else,,,, water. this is a great thread to increase youre thread count and epeen, but really,,,,,, how prepared are you?could you protect you're loved ones in a shtf situation?lets not pretend here,,, the shtttt is going to hit the fan,,,,suppose you're wife gets a gunshot wound,,, would you know how to keep her alive? i do,,,,,,you will be called upon to defend ,,, how will you do? you think its a joke ????? lol mark my words

the shtttt is going to hit the fan,,,, very soon,,,, its not going to be a good time,,,, we will need to be smart,,, we will need to help each other, do not shirk youre responsibiliy,,, learn what you can my freinds.

Last edited:
very few seem to take this seriously but it is very important.you must consider 1st aid,,, food and above all else,,,, water. this is a great thread to increase youre thread count and epeen, but really,,,,,, how prepared are you?could you protect you're loved ones in a shtf situation?lets not pretend here,,, the shtttt is going to hit the fan,,,,suppose you're wife gets a gunshot wound,,, would you know how to keep her alive? i do,,,,,,you will be called upon to defend ,,, how will you do? ill put money on the fact that most are posers,,,, you think it wont happen , so no need to prepare,,,,, ill walk over youre dead bodies for the supplys i need,, please buy some good stuff so i can pull it from youre cold dead bodies. you think its a joke ????? lol mark my words

the shtttt is going to hit the fan,,,, very soon,,,, its not going to be a good time,,,, we will need to be smart,,, we will need to help each other, do not shirk youre responsibiliy,,, learn what you can my freinds.

Could you please install a spell-checker in your browser? This is almost incomprehensible. Almost as bad as wildcatt's spelling.

Ded,

If given the option of maintaining my home, I am in pretty good shape for supplies covering the priorties I listed:

Light
Warmth
Shelter
Medical
Water
Food

Food could eventually become a problem as I only have a few months worth of food supplies at the time.

As for dealing with a gunshot wound, it really depends on where it is. I could handle a limb strike (had to deal with a friend suffering from a 3/4" diameter stick punturing through his thigh) but I will admit I lack the medical training to deal with non-muscle/skin/bone tramua resulting from a torso hit with a gunshot.

Could I be more prepared? Absolutely. I'd really like to get about 200gal of fresh water storage plus additional rain barrels for continuing water collection. I'd really like to get a good rotating canned goods stock going maintaining a years worth of canned goods. I could use some more ammunition in specific calibers.

If I had to flee my home for an extended period, I am somewhat less prepare. I have a few days worth of supplies prepped and ready to grab quickly plus a few days supplies kept in my car, but those are currently designed to provide approximately 1 week of comfortable survival on very short notice.

good replys all, i must appologize, i may appear quite normal to the untrained eye,,, but sometimes i enjoy a bit of wine. then i cruise paranoid survival sites,, and such,,, a few glasses in and i get rather,,,,,,,,,,,, animated? paranoid? weird,,,, all of the above. you're all good people, i'm sorry for offending.

(ill even forgive someone for liking glenn beck )

also,, as a practiced and experienced whacko, i never mix guns and alcohol. gun forums however yes.

You forgot Water Proof Bags (in water proof bag)
[laugh2]

just kidding, great list!

Some things in my BOB:

Small Folding Knife
Glow Sticks
Emergency Med Kit
Bottled Water (s)
Potassium Iodide
Complete Hygiene Kit:
Multi Tool
GPS (In water Proof Bag)
Vaseline/Moisturizer
Lip Balm
Para Chord
Compass
Rain Poncho
Marker
Small Binoculars
Small Pack of Tissues
Hand sanitizer
Zip Ties
Wet Wipes
Duct Tape or Tyvek Tape
Plastic Bags/Garbage Bag
Hand Warmer Pack
Mosquito Repellant
Goggles
Tin Foil Hat ;-)
CB Radio/Scanner
Emergency Radio
Food
Toilet Paper
Chem suite
Gas Mask
Extra Filters
Gas Mask hood
Chem Gloves
Chem Booties

Back
Top Bottom