What's in your blizzard & hurricane box ?

Twigg

NES Member
I figured this might be a good time to discuss basic prepardness. Right now some of us are scrambling to recover from the storm. Not pictured here are the small genney & gas cans I have rigged to run the furnace and switch off with the fridge & freezer. Since I have to sleep and I don't want my generator to grow legs and dissapear overnight I also have a kerosene heater and a can of K-1 to heat the house. Kero heaters might not be available if you live in a nanny state but they are readily available up here. (er... perhaps not at the moment though... [laugh])

All on this fits into a low profile plastic box which slides under the sofa.

Well, everything but the heater... [laugh]
1cc51193.jpg

3 1lb. propane cylinders
3 compact lanterns with extra mantles
First Alert CO2 detector (Plug in or run on 9v battery)
Coleman Max 6AA battery LED flashlight
2 wind up alarm clocks
1 box strike anywhere matches
Midland ER102 AM/FM/NOAA hand crank & battery power emergency radio

Our house has a gas range so we can cook if the power is out. We just need to light it with matches.

If I ever get caught up with repairs to the vehicles a transfer panel and larger generator are the next priority.

So, what's in your blizzard & hurricane box ?

Last edited:
We have a wood stove so the house was toasty. We were running a generator periodically, and we have a camp stove we were using.
I have oil lamps and flashlights.

About 100 small jar candles, Some large candles in glass bowls that throw off a ton of light, a few lanterns I made out of mason jars and wick, enough fresh batteries to last a while, flashlights, and enough water to submerge a large horse. Wood. Lots of wood, although I'm getting low on seasoned stuff.

Twigg, I like the battery powered CO detector. I think I'll get one. Also, how do you like that crank powered radio? Good Rx?

Speaking of radios, I met you when we got our Ham licenses about 2 years ago. Are you set-up to work 2M or HF without power? I get a lot of good info listening to the 2M Skywarn nets while Mother Nature is bitch-slapping us.

I think that most CO detectors will have a 9v backup. I think that's just for that reason, if the power goes out...then that might mean a problem with the furnace...and then CO issues back up into the house. So, the standard detectors will still work if/when that happens.

I have them sprinkled around the house because I run a pellet stove. So, when I change the Smoke Detectors, I change the CO detectors as well.

I think that most CO detectors will have a 9v backup. I think that's just for that reason, if the power goes out...then that might mean a problem with the furnace...and then CO issues back up into the house. So, the standard detectors will still work if/when that happens.

I have them sprinkled around the house because I run a pellet stove. So, when I change the Smoke Detectors, I change the CO detectors as well.
Good information. We bought this house a year ago and I've never given the CO detectors a 2nd glance. I'm checking for (dead) batteries today. Thanks.

LED Maglights in bathrooms & kitchen. Batteries changed every other New Year's Day.
CO detectors in basement on boiler and upstairs in main hall way - batteries changed as needed.
Frozen water jugs in freezer to keep it cold if/when power goes out.

Need to keep food that doesn't require heating (stove is electric, dammit - wife won't use a gas one.)
Need a generator and ATS.
Need a gas-powered chainsaw - had to have a friend come over with one Sunday morning to help me clear the driveway; electric chainsaw is useless when your power is out.

2 wind up alarm clocks

DOH!!!! [slap] I use my cell phone for an alarm clock and I have a car charger for it. But a wind up backup clock is an excellent idea.

For your kit, Mr. Twigg: You may also want to pick up a couple of disposable lighters. They will work long after you've run out of matches. My thoughts only.

Gas powered chainsaw is useless if you don't keep an extra chain or two, two stroke oil and bar oil as well. My clutch locked up on mine after about 4 hours using it after the tropical storm. I borrowed a neighbors and his chain was so damn dull I couldn't cut anything. No extra chain...so I had to rip apart mine to work on it...and now it's locked up again. So, I'm thinking that I'm just going to buy another one instead of keep reparing mine.

If you're not used to using one and you keep putting your chain into the dirt, it will dull it faster than you know. Most people buy one and don't know how to use one.

For your kit, Mr. Twigg: You may also want to pick up a couple of disposable lighters. They will work long after you've run out of matches. My thoughts only.

I have a few zippo firestarters, and zippo and a case of lighter fluid. Those will keep working long after you run out of butane in your disposable. Also, you can use kersone in your zippo if you had too...

If you're not used to using one and you keep putting your chain into the dirt, it will dull it faster than you know. Most people buy one and don't know how to use one.

I've had a 14" Wen electric for about 10-15 years. The next time I put the blade into the dirt will be the first time. I may not be a lumberjack but I'm not stupid. I even read the manual! I keep the correct tension on it and use the oiler every time I start it up, just like it says in the manual.

I've had a 14" Wen electric for about 10-15 years. The next time I put the blade into the dirt will be the first time. I may not be a lumberjack but I'm not stupid. I even read the manual! I keep the correct tension on it and use the oiler every time I start it up, just like it says in the manual.

I'm just talking in general. I've dinked around with them most of my adult life...and I've watched many of people use them. Then ask why they don't run well...or why they can't keep their chain sharp...or why the chain runs laborly and sound so rough when they let off the trigger.

Most people don't mix the oil right, don't keep it out of the dirt, and don't fill the oil everytime they fill the gas.

I'm just talking in general. I've dinked around with them most of my adult life...and I've watched many of people use them. Then ask why they don't run well...or why they can't keep their chain sharp...or why the chain runs laborly and sound so rough when they let off the trigger.

Most people don't mix the oil right, don't keep it out of the dirt, and don't fill the oil everytime they fill the gas.

I'm pretty anal about maintaining equipment; there's a dedicated can in the garage with a two-stroke mix in it for my weedwhacker (which had to get used to refresh the year-old gas in my friends' Poulan) and when I do the mix I measure the oil out exactly.

My snowblower started up on about the 4th pull after about 7 months of inactivity and ran just fine (well, aside from the usual choking on slush - but that's a design flaw) yesterday.

I have a few zippo firestarters, and zippo and a case of lighter fluid. Those will keep working long after you run out of butane in your disposable. Also, you can use kersone in your zippo if you had too...

Good point, C-pher. I also have 3 NES Zippos and lighter fluid. But, the fuel in the Zippos evaporate after a while. Butane works for the short term for me and they are smaller and lighter (in case of a bug out).

Also: Buy extra flints for the Zippos and keep one or two in each lighter below the felt and you'll never be wanting for a flint.

LED Maglights in bathrooms & kitchen. Batteries changed every other New Year's Day.
CO detectors in basement on boiler and upstairs in main hall way - batteries changed as needed.
Frozen water jugs in freezer to keep it cold if/when power goes out.

Need to keep food that doesn't require heating (stove is electric, dammit - wife won't use a gas one.)
Need a generator and ATS.
Need a gas-powered chainsaw - had to have a friend come over with one Sunday morning to help me clear the driveway; electric chainsaw is useless when your power is out.

I want the gas stove.

I do not have a separate blizzard only kit because everything in it, except source of heat would overlap with other emergency tools. Unless we are talking about a caved roof (too much snow or fallen tree) we are really simply dealing with “lights out” + “cold”.

So I’ll focus on cold. In a long term disaster I have nothing against kero. It’s economical and worthwhile to have. I own two Detz #2 and one Aladdin and two kero stoves. But IMHO, for a blizzard, propane radiant vent-free heater is a better solution. It’s safer, more convenient and doesn’t stink. However, I recommend getting 2 smaller units instead on 1 larger. Something like http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395467_200395467 or http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Pro...5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1320094800&sr=1-5

Also, I highly recommend fans. You want to put them throughout your home. I had good luck with both of these (O2Cool 1038 Smart Power Rechargeable Swivel Fan http://www.amazon.com/O2Cool-1038-S...3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1320092686&sr=1-3 and Fan-Tastic Vent 01100WH Endless Breeze 12V Fan http://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-Vent-01100WH-Endless-Breeze/dp/B0000AY2Z6/ref=pd_sim_hg_11). If you do not have a convenient 12V source - O2Cool is obviously be a better choice.

I hate bathing with cold water. So I have few solutions. First, I use old Dutch oven full of sea rocks which I heat up then bring in the bathroom. After 10min the room is of comfortable temp. Then I have 2 way to shower. One is a 5gal solar shower. I cannot remember brand because I bought it long ago to shower at the racetrack. I’ve been using it for years and it works great. Never tried it in winter, but I am sure it will work if you give it a few hours to warm up. But who has time? So what I actually use is a 2gal pressure sprayer. Obviously do not use the one you use in your garden. [wink] But mine was actually my racetrack solar shower before I discovered the current 5gal rolled up version I use. Anyway, I only need 2 cups of boiling water to turn 2gal of ice cold water into a nice shower. Now, if it’s too cold I do not have time to deal with shower, I use no rinse shampoo and body wash. You can get them online or at most camping stores. Not great but better than nothing.

I have a tube (made by Coleman) so I can use the 25 lb Propane tank from my grill with the Coleman camp stove or lantern.

I borrowed a neighbors and his chain was so damn dull I couldn't cut anything. No extra chain.

A cheap file will make quick work of that chain if its not completely mangled. Have her sharp in no time. Thats what you ought pack instead of an extra chain, if dullness is what you're worried about.

I have a couple of scented candles and a tube of KY jelly. [wink] I even have a few rolls of toilet paper.

Sorry for this stupid humor but I am cold tired and in pain.

I have to take a serious look at my lack of preparedness. I started today by obtaining a generator which I will be picking up tomorrow. Didn't really have the money for it (CC purchase) but I do not want to find myself cold and in the dark ever again. This is not fun.

A cheap file will make quick work of that chain if its not completely mangled. Have her sharp in no time. Thats what you ought pack instead of an extra chain, if dullness is what you're worried about.

Yes, I actually have a chain file that does a great job...but not everyone knows how to sharpen a knife, let alone a chain.

...but not everyone knows how to sharpen a knife, let alone a chain.

What some might not know is that when you file the tooth back far enough, you also have to file the raker down.

Last edited:
Army of Kerosene lamps as a quick reaction force, also propane and liquid-fuel colemans.

Wood stove will heat the main part of the house, natural gas for stove and hot water. (also a couple of camp stoves in both propane and liquid fuel )

I have a couple of the tall glass votive candles (about 2.5" x 10" - they sell them at Market Basket ) that I leave on all night as aids to navigation. When the dog wants "out", the candles provide enough light to keep from tripping over the cats, without having to use a flashlight.

Good point, C-pher. I also have 3 NES Zippos and lighter fluid. But, the fuel in the Zippos evaporate after a while. Butane works for the short term for me and they are smaller and lighter (in case of a bug out).

Also: Buy extra flints for the Zippos and keep one or two in each lighter below the felt and you'll never be wanting for a flint.

Yea, that's why I have a case fluid for my zippo, it was short money and doesn't evaporate. I also picked up a case of these. http://www.zippo.com/product.aspx?id=1024752 for 11 bucks, so this is pretty pricey. I used to make my own using egg cartons, dryer lint and paraffin. But when I tried these, there was no going back. Smaller and I don't have to spend time making a mess and making them myself.

But using a mag stick and a cotton ball soaked in Vaseline will work just as well. I just find that the Zippo sticks are not a messy and I can fit more in a 35mm film canister than the cotton balls.

Good call on the extra flints though...all this serves you go no good if you're out of flint. Though the mag stick will work in starting the fire, but not the Zippo.

ETA: Found these for 69 cents. http://www.amazon.com/Zippo-Tinder-Sticks-Emergency-Starter/dp/B0035LY25A

What some might not know is that when you file the tooth back far enough, you also have to file the raker down.

Good point, I'm no expert...but that's because it'll get higher than the cutting and scoring teeth, correct?? I was taught that you do that when the teeth feel sharp, but you're still not cutting well. I want to say the difference is it's just cutting crappy, but not burning the wood.

Hell, after a few times sharpinging myself, I drop it off and have it done up the street....for 6 bucks and it's good as new. Still, I think that it's something you should learn if you keep a saw.

Same thing I do with the lawnmower blade. Keep two that I just rotate. LOL!

Actually I had to do a "emergency" fire-start this weekend: At my club, we were having a work party, and I went to light the stove. Unfortunately, the butane ain-n-flame was pretty much out, and would just give a puff of fire, not enough to light the newspaper. Thinking fast, I got a bottle of Hoppe's and tossed a half capful onto the paper - poof! [smile]

I was able to impress my 12-year old! Success! [laugh]

Actually I had to do a "emergency" fire-start this weekend: At my club, we were having a work party, and I went to light the stove. Unfortunately, the butane ain-n-flame was pretty much out, and would just give a puff of fire, not enough to light the newspaper. Thinking fast, I got a bottle of Hoppe's and tossed a half capful onto the paper - poof! [smile]

I was able to impress my 12-year old! Success! [laugh]

Nice!! It's great when you impress the wee ones..

Back
Top Bottom