What's growing well in your garden?

fvcking chipmunks are trashing everything. I have introduced 26 of them to the seed bucket challenge this year and there are STILL too many of them around

I just setup my bucket yesterday and killed four rodents. Must be one of hose preban high capacity buckets HD used to sell back in the day.

Same here, at 20 times the rate of the planted stuff. I've reached the point where I just pick the produce and leave them alone.

This will be my last soil garden, next year its going to be either hydroponics or aquaponics if I can get the system built, the fish in and the conditions stabilized in time.

Canning green beans and making dill pickles today and probably zucchini pickles tomorrow.

What recipe do you use for canning the green beans?

What recipe do you use for canning the green beans?

Clean jars heated in boiling water, pack broken beans in tight to 1 inch below top, add 1 teaspoon canning salt to each jar, fill with boiling water to 1/2 inch headspace, cap finger tight and pressure can @ 10psi for 25mins. Let cool down and remove. Snug lids and inspect button for vacuum when cooled down.

BTW, the dill pickles came out excellent....much better than I expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peppers doing well this year, while last year sucked. Broccoli was a waste of space. Carrots good except for critter problems. Off to the hardware store for more JAWZ rat traps. Strong enough for munks but sensitive enough for voles and mice.

Peppers doing well this year, while last year sucked. Broccoli was a waste of space. Carrots good except for critter problems. Off to the hardware store for more JAWZ rat traps. Strong enough for munks but sensitive enough for voles and mice.

My peppers are also doing well this year, I had the same issue last year, they sucked, I never figured out why. My cukes are everywhere, and my tomatoes are awesome as well. The cuke and tomatoes overcame my snap peas due to bad box management, I fired my daughter and demoted her to waterer.

Clean jars heated in boiling water, pack broken beans in tight to 1 inch below top, add 1 teaspoon canning salt to each jar, fill with boiling water to 1/2 inch headspace, cap finger tight and pressure can @ 10psi for 25mins. Let cool down and remove. Snug lids and inspect button for vacuum when cooled down.

BTW, the dill pickles came out excellent....much better than I expected.
Thanks!!!
i have more beans than i know what to do with. I used the ball dill pickle mix to make the pickles, it was super easy and my wife loves them.

Thanks!!!
i have more beans than i know what to do with. I used the ball dill pickle mix to make the pickles, it was super easy and my wife loves them.

You can also freeze the beans. I froze 8 one gallon vacuum bags the other day. That size makes a nice pot of green beans and potatoes.

I do like canning them, they last longer but we use a good amount regularly so freezing is also a good option.

Why is it called canning if you put them in a jar?

Canning is a process, the container type doesn't really matter. Glass jars are actually better as you can see the contents and there's no metal or metal can liner contamination.

I think these are onions that have bolted:
IMG_2520.jpg

Tried oinions and basically this is all that has come of them.
Although slow coming finally am getting tomatoes and cukes. Corn looks good.
Only crop actually producing. About 2 pints of strawberries.... Oh so yummy.
Wild rasberries, can't pick then fast enough. Wild blue berries but they are the teenytiny berries taste on so good but after a 1hr picking you feel like you got ripped off.
Tried peppers again.... One bell peper and I have a Thai plant that seems to be doing better now.

They decimated my beans this year, I can't kill them fast enough and they know they are safe once they hit the garden as the local falcons can't get them there.
Same here - gallons of green beans last year and nothing yet because the rabbits keep topping off the plants.

One rabbit removed so far and it had a large growth on its neck - tossed the carcass deep in the woods.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Same here - gallons of green beans last year and nothing yet because the rabbits keep topping off the plants.

One rabbit removed so far and it had a large growth on its neck - tossed the carcass deep in the woods.

Just picked two gallons of beans tonight. Had to blanch them and freeze bc supply greatly outstripped demand.

Basically my garden is on a few daily rid bits...just enough tomatoes for a salad ...all berries have come and went with the wild blue and black berries producing a good amount for about 12 days. Are lots of berries that week.
All that's left is corn , tomatoes and cukes.
They won't yield high numbers but in the eats for the summer.

Broccoli and cabbages doing great. I covered them to keep the cabbage worms off of them and it helped although some still got through. Beans and peas doing great. Squashes seem to be going slow although I saw some starting to set. We probably don't have the best light for the garden and sometimes it seems things are not getting pollinated. I helped that process with a small paint brush last year and will have to do it again this season even though I left clumps of white clover in the garden to attract bees.

Been waging war on voles. They destroyed my squash last year. and that also might be part of the problem this year. I've been picking them off with mouse traps placed around their holes and paths.

Broccoli and cabbages doing great. I covered them to keep the cabbage worms off of them and it helped although some still got through. Beans and peas doing great. Squashes seem to be going slow although I saw some starting to set. We probably don't have the best light for the garden and sometimes it seems things are not getting pollinated. I helped that process with a small paint brush last year and will have to do it again this season even though I left clumps of white clover in the garden to attract bees.

Been waging war on voles. They destroyed my squash last year. and that also might be part of the problem this year. I've been picking them off with mouse traps placed around their holes and paths.

Voles heavy here too, plus the usual munk invasion. I'm using the JAWS brand rat traps with a peanut butter and sunflower seed mix in the bait cup. Getting one or two every day.

Voles heavy here too, plus the usual munk invasion. I'm using the JAWS brand rat traps with a peanut butter and sunflower seed mix in the bait cup. Getting one or two every day.

I had some chipmunks stealing all the feed from the chickens. I'm not a fan of the bucket method so I took a shoe box and cut a hole in one end and put the trap baited with sunflower seeds inside so no chickens or baby chickens could get to it. It only took a few days to get rid of the trouble makers.

No vegetables here but I will have some sunflower seeds. This is the first time growing sunflowers and looks like I'll be up to my azz in them. I have about 30 plants or so and they're currently at about 42" and growing close to 2" a day.

IMG_1776_zpse0kdjd7j.jpg

this is my 4th year trying. i stink at it but i try. i'm growing corn, butternut, banana peps and bel peps, tomatoes, and spinach in the garden. plus some basil, oregano, chives and thyme in pots. i never have much success. whereas i don't know much and squirrels and rabbits keep eating my stuff. but i try. the peppers and corn are doing okay. the spinach was burning and died. to much sun i guess?. the rest are getting eaten or just not growing well.

the spinach was burning and died. to much sun i guess?

I'm no greenthumb nor have I tried growing it before, but I think Spinach is a crop you plant very early and harvest in early spring before it gets too hot.

---

My cukes and green beans are producing well now, just waiting for those first tomatoes to turn red still. :)

In Boston the growing season extends well into the fall. We are very near the harbor so first frost often isn't until lat October, sometimes November.

We grow tomatos on the S side of the house and have to beat them down with a stick. Zucchini has been growing great as well. I'll ask my wife if she planted anything new.

cukes seem to be doing better than ever for me this year. No idea why. Planted in the same place as always. Soil conditions have not changed.

Bad year for me - I have two bucks that have decided the garden is their personal buffet. They are trashing everything to eat the green beans.
But it is two good looking 6 pointers - not that I hunt well enough to get either one.

I hope they get their racks stuck together in the backyard so I can kick them both in the nuts before hanging a tag on them.

Well, the squirrels enjoyed all the tomatoes.

my neighbor puts out enough birdseed to feed a legion of squirrels, so that's probably how I still have my tomatoes.

most everything else is toast, though between the bunnies and groundhogs

Back
Top Bottom