• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's growing well in your garden?

for me: tomatoes. my plants are bigger that I've ever seen them. i didn't anticipate them growing so large, and they are sort of shading out my pepper plants.

cukes and squash growing well, but something keeps eating the blossoms off of my squash.

failures:
sugar peas, something ate all my spinach, and pole beans because I used some old seed I had from a few years ago as a sort of experiment.

I grew some mediocre lettuce, and I may have a watermelon or two if things go right.

Yeah, my tomatoes have gone nuclear. I planted them later than my neighbor planted his but they are 3X bigger. Zucc and yellow squash going nuts too. I planted bush beans late (a pattern here?) but they look good. Green peppers and various hot peppers smallish and getting eaten by something. Green onions a fail- old seed, same problem as your pole beans.

My garden is doing well this year. I'ts small 6'X40' early on I was battling rabbits eating the seedlings.
Wins:
-I have 6 foot tall tomatoes with 1" diameter stems. I've pruned the hell out of them too.
-Zucchini plants are 5 feet in diameter and about 4 feet tall. I pick 2 a day.
-Beans, I planted mine end of June and tried to stagger them, nope they came in all at once. I do bush beans and harvest a small sauce pan a day
-Radishes, I had a ton of them, I have let them bolt so they produce seed pods so I can grow some more in the fall.

FAIL:
-peppers, all of them, from jalapenos to bell it has been to wet. Next year I plan on doing them in a container.
-peas, most of my peas were eaten by the rabbits.

Fighting early blight on the tomatoes but still have great yield.
Cucumbers doing okay
Peepers are mixed - jalapeño have a ton but my bell peppers not doing a lot. Chili's are somewhere between those two.

Rabbit ate all of my lettuce, kale and bean sprouts then started on the mature green beans. No longer a problem and will be planting out replacements.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Cukes and zuchinni coming out of my ears. Lots of green tomatoes on the vines but the plants are not as tall as they were last year. Berry season is over, but strawberries did okay (maybe got 10 quarts) and raspberries were amazing, easily 75 pints from my 20 plants. Actually got blue berries because I protected them from the birds. Green beans are just starting to come in.

Green beans, lettuce and sugar snap peas are doing great. Delicious
Small Cukes are starting to pop up on the vines.
Tomatoes were a bust this year

Same as above:

Great: Zucchini, Cukes, Lettuce, Broccoli-Rabe, Bell Peppers

Bad: Hot-Peppers (didn't come up at all), Basil (started out well, went downhill fast), Cillantro (went to seed almost instantly, wtf?). Rosemary (stunted little plant going nowhere).

TBD: Fennel, Brussel Sprouts, Sweet Potatoes, and Waltham Butternut Squash (planted this almost too late...).

I have about 1.4 million tomatoes, just starting to get some color in the last couple days.
Counted 16 watermelons, the 2 plants basically took over my raised bed, I had no idea they would spread like they did, the vines choked out my ocre and beans.
Peppers arent bad, but I was hoping for more.

Lots of tomatoes and Zucchini the size of your forearm.

FIFY... Same here. Cherry Tomatoes are as tall as I am, but some of the romma's have black on the bottom. Used to put crushed tums to fix this.

Kale & other greens are doing great as well. Salad greens are pretty much done, maybe one more harvest. Haven't bought greens in months.
Broccoli was great, now all I have left is the greens which saute up nicely.

Cucumbers not so hot.
Green beans not so hot either, but we didn't plant a lot.

This year's EGGPLANT are looking pretty great. We haven't harvested any yet, but they look nice. I want them to get closer to grocery store size.

Oh, early season strawberries were great!

This is also the first year that my grapes are producing(not my first time growing grapes) - currently a little bigger than a marble, and have progressively gotten less tangy/tart still about sour-patch kid level, so I don't think the harvest will be until September.

ETA: Forgot about the herbs!
BASIL good in separate pots 3 different types (sweet thai, spicy globe, italian) .
Thyme is going gang-busters.

DO NOT plant THYME with BASIL - the THYME will take over and kill your precious BASIL! I've learned this the hard way - killed one plant, is killing another, and will have to transplant one soon. I just cut back the thyme this morning (again). The other large pots that are basil only are doing quite well.

Last edited:
Worst tomato year ever. Not dead, not diseased, just going nowhere. Sweet peppers and basil doing so-so. Jalapenos, strawberries, oregano, thyme, and hubbard squash are going nuts.

today I waded through the jungle of my tomatoes and found a few hot peppers growing in their mighty shadow,

I'm getting no sweet peppers at all. found a couple of hidden cukes, though..

Mostly useless weeds..

I find that summer time just leaves me no time with growing anything and we don't even cook much at home during this time, as opposed to vast majority of home cooking in the winter.

Wife does not care about the garden and lets it die unless I watch it, at least I'll get some basil and maybe some dill out of the whole thing. my yard does not get enough sun for tomatoes.

Past seasons have shown that Dill, cucumbers and squashes grow very well.

Doing well:Beefsteak,Cherry and Roma tomatoes,cakes,banana peppers,habaneros are small but abundant,snow peas,lemon cukes and squashes.

I I have a small patch of 30 stalks of corn that's doing very well.

Not well:broccoli,Brussel sprouts and carrots.

lots of pickling cukes, beginning toms, and no luck with radicchio lettuce. I'm ready to give up after 3 years of trying. It's a great, somewhat bitter tasting lettuce, and expensive in stores!

Cucumbers, tomatoes & basil doing great. Jalapeño, Bell peppers & eggplant not so good.

Green beans and lettuce have been okay. Insane amount of tomatoes on the way.

We also have a mystery gourd coming in. I'm pretty sure a squirrel dropped seeds when munching on something on our porch. Could be pumpkin, could be a squash of some type.

Tomatoes (Beefsteak, Big Boy and Grape) are going gang busters. Eggplant, English cuke, pickling cukes are doing well. Spinach was great but has gone by now. Yellow peppers were a complete disappointment as something burrowed into everyone of them and rotted them from the inside out. Radishes are a bit of a fail. My tomato plants got to over 7' tall and started collapsing (stakes I used only went up to 5').
Anyone have advice as to proper pruning of tomato plants or should I just let them go crazy?
Thanks

This year, only things doing well are wisteria.
2ezs16t.jpg

I have about 1.4 million tomatoes, just starting to get some color in the last couple days.
Counted 16 watermelons, the 2 plants basically took over my raised bed, I had no idea they would spread like they did, the vines choked out my ocre and beans.
Peppers arent bad, but I was hoping for more.

i will never do watermelons again. they took over my whole garden. they atually grew under a fence over a stone wall thru bushes and into my neighbors yard a total of almost 20ft. He came over and handed me 5 melons he found in his yard

Jalapeños going strong

Five quarts sliced and pickled today to add to the four done last week

168f2322b8bff1eca326edc9b0d302a8.jpg

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Those jalapeños look great. Didn't grow any this year but wish I did. I've had a couple big green / red peppers but my chilis aren't producing yet. Number of peppers in general has been low. Tomatoes going nuts, squash produced like crazy then quit. Same for beans- could barely keep up with picking then they stopped.

Probably operator error- I planted later than usual due to work travel.

This spring we bought one 'flat' of tomatoes at Agway in Haverhill. Mrs. VTHunter planted some here in Ma and I planted some in Vermont. We saw similar results, although the ones in VT grew larger. One thing they all had in common is many have very strong features, like they were siamese tomatoes or something. Is this the type of fruit or is it something we did wrong? We would have picked them earlier, but they were still green.
Regardless, they taste great and we got a great yield from 6 plants.
Tomato.jpg

Back
Top Bottom