What's growing well in your garden?

I let my radishes bolt and go to seed. Half I harvest the seed pods and they are quite tasty in salads the rest I save for next year to grow more.

Jalapeños going strong

Five quarts sliced and pickled today to add to the four done last week

168f2322b8bff1eca326edc9b0d302a8.jpg

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

So, my peppers are starting to come in good right now, seems late to me?

So, my peppers are starting to come in good right now, seems late to me?
My production seems to be peaking now so you may not be far off. The chili's and bells are just now starting to really get going.

Early blight hit my tomatoes mostly because I planted too densely but the cherry variety seems to be very resistant.

Cucumbers have been overwhelming but in a lull this week (more blossoms coming)

Kale and collards just keep producing

Potatoes are done but mostly still in the ground until I can figure out storage.

I even bought a dehydrator to store the ridiculous amounts parsley and basil.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

These little guys are growing better than anything else in my raised bed garden. Wife found 'em yesterday.
View attachment 143034
I have my garden surrounded with metal "Rabbit Fence". It is specifically designed to keep rabbits out. Guess what decided to have her babies in my garden? Pretty damn funny. I should have taken a picture and sent it to the fence manufacturer.

time to restart this thread. the heat has been really helping my garden grow. I'm doing tomato's and hot peppers only this year. I'm really happy with the thia hot peppers they are really coming in great 60,000 to 100,000 units should be pure fire going in and out. I did all roma tomato's they just make the best salsa's and sauces. hows every one elses doing?

Have to keep up on the watering, but things seem to be doing well so far. Tried Celleric (Cellery Root) this year, no idea how it's going to turn out. Need to find some sweet potato plants, anyone have a lead? Haven't tried Home Depot yet...

Tony

Have to keep up on the watering, but things seem to be doing well so far. Tried Celleric (Cellery Root) this year, no idea how it's going to turn out. Need to find some sweet potato plants, anyone have a lead? Haven't tried Home Depot yet...

Tony

That's where I got mine last year. This year I skipped doing them, but I did have some decent luck last year.

This year I've got my perennials (strawberries and rhubarb). The strawberries just finished up, got a massive amount this year for the small concentration of plants. Rhubarb is ready for harvesting, wifey is going to make a pie this weekend. [banana]

Other crops are a mixed bag of Tomatoes, Cukes, Green Beans, Carrots and Radishes. Only about half the green beans I planted came up this year, bad seeds I guess but not a big deal as I have a place to stagger them now. No hot peppers this year :(

Tomatoes are going nuts, ditto chives and oregano. That oregano is going to take over the universe, LOL. Jalapeños should be setting fruit soon, bell peppers are a little behind.

Anybody grow Hubbards? Looking for some tips.

That's where I got mine last year. This year I skipped doing them, but I did have some decent luck last year.

This year I've got my perennials (strawberries and rhubarb). The strawberries just finished up, got a massive amount this year for the small concentration of plants. Rhubarb is ready for harvesting, wifey is going to make a pie this weekend. [banana]

Other crops are a mixed bag of Tomatoes, Cukes, Green Beans, Carrots and Radishes. Only about half the green beans I planted came up this year, bad seeds I guess but not a big deal as I have a place to stagger them now. No hot peppers this year :(

Sure it wasn't squirrels that got the green beans? The little a-holes dug up a lot of my seeds this year.

Sure it wasn't squirrels that got the green beans? The little a-holes dug up a lot of my seeds this year.

No, I learned that lesson the first year I planted them. Now they are surrounded by chicken wire fence and covered with netting that they haven't thought to chew through yet.

Those little bastards dug up most of my wife's flower bulbs she planted though. Didn't even eat them, just dig them up and leave um.

garden's fenced in, but something stripped my cukes and pepper plants of leaves. (hot peppers, they left the bells alone.)

I stubbornly kept watering everything and the pepper plants are actually coming back from just a stalk. I'm impressed, if I get one pepper it's a victory.

cukes are toast.

garden's fenced in, but something stripped my cukes and pepper plants of leaves. (hot peppers, they left the bells alone.)

I stubbornly kept watering everything and the pepper plants are actually coming back from just a stalk. I'm impressed, if I get one pepper it's a victory.

cukes are toast.

Never had much luck with peppers. Tomatoes are doing gangbusters. 10 varieties of heirloom this year. Been feeding them regularly with a microbe tea from FoxFarm. I went with a different tactic this year. No pruning, but pinching off early blossoms to encourage root and plant growth versus too early fruiting. Cukes, zucchini, & summer squash all trellised this year. Beans and peas are at about 3 ft. up already. Mistake was planting my Brussels too close to the pepper plants. First year doing brussels, and didn't account for how big their leaves are and how far they spread. Lesson learned.

Just glad this guy hasn't shown up yet this year. Only had this one on last years tomatoes. Tomato hornworms can be a scourge if they show up en mass.

Po-ta-toes - that's all I have in my ground garden - deer, chucks....previous years, my stuff was decimated. And, I can't shoot them, here.

I have a couple tomato plants and cukes on the deck in buckets. This year, I also have snow peas in buckets on the deck, where the vermin don't go.

Just for the heck of it, I've tried to grow potatoes in plastic buckets, to make them easy to harvest.

As an experiment in density, I have a couple buckets with a potato in the middle, onions around the outside, and some snow peas. That should be interesting.

I have some "volunteer" black raspberries, too. They're doing well.

I had to do a new fence this year. Dear are eating everything again this year....
So far all is well. Tomatoes are coming in. Peppers are so so. Strawberries are ok.
Rhubarb plant is goliath this year.....figures no one likes it
Trying corn again and seeing if onions actual so something this year.
So far only production is about a quart of strawberries.

This year hasn't nearly been as well as last year. Gotten about two meals worth of yellow beans, two heads of lettuce, and that's it so far. Zucchini and yellow squash has lots of flowers but almost nothing for actual fruit. Tomatoes are small, but we're getting a few flowers. Cukes are still small. Hoping the winter squash and carrots get it together...

I had to do a new fence this year. Deer are eating everything again this year.....

This is what I did for my deer problem: a cheap sprayer from Home Depot, A pot of boiling water with 2 cups crushed red pepper flakes and 1 cup garlic flakes or minced garlic. Let the pepper and garlic sit in the hot water until the water cools to room temperature. Strain the pepper garlic water into the sprayer and spray EVERYTHING in the garden or along the fence that the deer are decimating.

Wear eye pro when spraying...

Tony

Same here, at 20 times the rate of the planted stuff. I've reached the point where I just pick the produce and leave them alone.

This will be my last soil garden, next year its going to be either hydroponics or aquaponics if I can get the system built, the fish in and the conditions stabilized in time.

Canning green beans and making dill pickles today and probably zucchini pickles tomorrow.

My peppers, cukes, & beans are growing well but the Pepperoncini are bland. Anyone have a clue why it wouldn't have any flavor? Fertilizer?

My peppers, cukes, & beans are growing well but the Pepperoncini are bland. Anyone have a clue why it wouldn't have any flavor? Fertilizer?

They aren't really a "hot" pepper to begin with and soil conditions could add to their blandness.

The ones you may be used to in a jar are pickled in a brine of some mixture and it probably adds to their heat a little bit.

Peppers on the whole are finicky plants with regard to germination, soil, fertilizers, water amounts, etc. I had a great yield of bell peppers last season but man were they ever slow in coming on.

They require hot weather and water. The hard part about growing them is the water....its got to be the right amount, not too much or too little.

Banana peppers on the other hand are like weeds and will grow in about any conditions. I've got twenty plants in my garden, each with about 10 eight inch peppers on them almost ready to pick and they are hotter than usual.

I'll be using them for additions to relish recipes when the cukes come on full speed.

I think these are onions that have bolted:
IMG_2520.jpg

When they mature a bit more you can save the seeds.

I find that onions are too cheap to buy to waste garden space growing them. Same with carrots and potatoes.
I can't grow a bag full of potatoes or carrots as cheaply as I can buy them virtually anywhere.

Everything else I can compete with and usually come out ahead with a better quality and quantity.

When they mature a bit more you can save the seeds.

I find that onions are too cheap to buy to waste garden space growing them. Same with carrots and potatoes.
I can't grow a bag full of potatoes or carrots as cheaply as I can buy them virtually anywhere.

Everything else I can compete with and usually come out ahead with a better quality and quantity.

I grow potatoes for the simple reason that commercial products have more pesticides by weight than any other produce.

Back
Top Bottom