What's everyone's preferred big bore pistol?

I’ve always wanted a Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull. There’s one at SO calling my name. Is that cartridge easy to reload? Are the bullets easy to cast?

I don't see much point in going over .45 in a cartridge gun, especially if this is just a for fun pistol regardless of if you reload or not. Even reloading, if you're shooting .480 or .50 caliber, you're paying almost a buck for just the bullet, factor in the case, primer, and powder charges and you're up to $1.25 that you have to spend time making yourself. With .45, the bullets cost much less and are just as fun to shoot.
What are you shooting, gold plated bullets?

It is not even close to $1 for a bullet.

If you are buying those small plastic boxes of 100 bullets, you are doing it wrong.

.480 Ruger ... $57 for 300 and these are good to go even with hot loads.

500 SW ... $59 for 200.

If you want FMJ, for a .460, you can get 500 for $90:

I love these RMR for the 460, they are very accurate.

All these calibers can be reloaded for under $1 per round and the brass can be reloaded multiple times so the cost is not even factored.

If you cast, the cost goes waaaay down for the bullets. For example, you can buy Hard Ball alloy for roughly $2.50/lb, that means 200 bullets at 400gr each would cost $28. If you mix your own alloy it gets even cheaper per bullet, can bring it down to $20-$15 per 200. Maybe less.

Last edited:
What are you shooting, gold plated bullets?

It is not even close to $1 for a bullet.

If you are buying those small plastic boxes of 100 bullets, you are doing it wrong.

.480 Ruger ... $57 for 300 and these are good to go even with hot loads.

500 SW ... $59 for 200.

If you want FMJ, for a .460, you can get 500 for $90:

I love these RMR for the 460, they are very accurate.

All these calibers can be reloaded for under $1 per round and the brass can be reloaded multiple times so the cost is not even factored.

If you cast, the cost goes waaaay down for the bullets. For example, you can buy Hard Ball alloy for roughly $2.50/lb, that means 200 bullets at 400gr each would cost $28. If you mix your own alloy it gets even cheaper per bullet, can bring it down to $20-$15 per 200. Maybe less.
I dont cast, have plans to in the future for uncommon stuff like .32 or some obscure antique guns, but for .480 or .50, that's a lot of lead I'm using that I have to buy and have shipped to me and that lead will go pretty quick.

I normally buy my bullets 500 to a box and usually for .45 that's about $100 today. .480 may not be tremendously more, that $59 for 300 aint bad, but I question what good it does given the biggest, meanest thing I'm likely to encounter around these parts is a large woman who hasn't gotten her chicken nuggets for lunch.

I dont cast, have plans to in the future for uncommon stuff like .32 or some obscure antique guns, but for .480 or .50, that's a lot of lead I'm using that I have to buy and have shipped to me and that lead will go pretty quick.

I normally buy my bullets 500 to a box and usually for .45 that's about $100 today. .480 may not be tremendously more, that $59 for 300 aint bad, but I question what good it does given the biggest, meanest thing I'm likely to encounter around these parts is a large woman who hasn't gotten her chicken nuggets for lunch.
All I am pointing out is that the bullets are far from $1/bullet.

As far as what is the point? ... that is different for every person. If all you care about is personal defense then there probably no need to own more than 1 ir 2 rifles, 1 shotgun and maybe a couple of handguns.

Some people hunt with them.
Some people have them for fun.
Some people just like different guns and shooting them maybe a few times a year.

I like big bore revolvers because they are fun. I go to the range, dump several pounds of lead on steel targets and have a good time.

I enjoy shooting my Remington 1911 R1S. My Colt Series 80 is a safe queen for sentimental reasons.
I have an S&W Mountain Gun 629 4”. I really enjoy shooting it. Next is a Bulldog in 44 Special. Everyone who has one seems to love it, which is odd because the people who don’t own them hate them. Anyone else have any experience with them?

is 600 Nitro Express big bore enough?
Here it is next to a 223 round. 900gr bullet
Screen-Shot-2018-08-12-at-10.59.44-AM.png

pfeifer-zeliska-11.jpg

pfeifer-zeliska-21.jpg

View attachment 706823FK Brno. Not sure if qualifies as big bore, though that is a 10mm on the left. Comes with a 10mm (and .40) barrel, but pistol is designed around the cartridge on the right. 7.5mm rifled cartridge, 100 grains, 2,000fps. Will go right thru any body armor but a ceramic plate. Semi-auto, less recoil than a revolver. There's a 4 ounce weight in the front that keeps the barrel down.

You can also buy a 9mm barrel.

They are coming out with a compact version.

That's on the someday soon list for me. I'm still worried about ammo availability for their cartridge.

I don't see much point in going over .45 in a cartridge gun, especially if this is just a for fun pistol regardless of if you reload or not. Even reloading, if you're shooting .480 or .50 caliber, you're paying almost a buck for just the bullet, factor in the case, primer, and powder charges and you're up to $1.25 that you have to spend time making yourself. With .45, the bullets cost much less and are just as fun to shoot.

IMO, .454 is as big as I'm ever going to be willing to go.

Now, for a muzzleloader, I have the .54 Lyman Plains Pistol and it is interesting to shoot; people who complain about Glock grip angles have nothing to gripe about if they shoot one of these! That said, the rifled bore doesn't really do much when I'm shooting at 25 yards, a smoothbore would be more fun because at those distances the accuracy is just fine, but I'd be able to shoot shot loads. This is why I was excited when the AGC DIablo was announced.

For $500 you can legally let your Mad Max fantasies run wild.

diablo-black-grip_252.jpg

All I could think of reading your post is this scene in Harley Davidson and The Marlboro Man.

That's on the someday soon list for me. I'm still worried about ammo availability for their cartridge.

Valid concern, no doubt. I don't even know of a place other than the company themselves. I just don't know.
Reload. Getting into reloading for one cartridge, specially a rare one, is not that expensive.

We recently talked the guy that cleaned up a trapdoor into reloading instead of dealing with factory 45/70. It just makes sense.

For the cost of a few hundred factory rounds.

Reload. Getting into reloading for one cartridge, specially a rare one, is not that expensive.

We recently talked the guy that cleaned up a trapdoor into reloading instead of dealing with factory 45/70. It just makes sense.

This, not reloading for something like 45-70 is just straight on dick self punching lunacy, its the difference between having the gun be a dust collector and something you can
actually afford to shoot once in awhile. Commercial 45-70 prices for ammo are full retard often into the $2+ a round area.

This, not reloading for something like 45-70 is just straight on dick self punching lunacy, its the difference between having the gun be a dust collector and something you can
actually afford to shoot once in awhile. Commercial 45-70 prices for ammo are full retard often into the $2+ a round area.
Wait, how would you flex on the poors then!?

Also, 500 S&W is $3.25/rd @ TS, so you 45-70 folk have little to complain about!

I do already reload. That doesn't mean I want to drop $2k on the next 327 Federal Magnum. Especially when I've already got guns I like a lot in the other calibers it comes with barrels for.

I do already reload. That doesn't mean I want to drop $2k on the next 327 Federal Magnum. Especially when I've already got guns I like a lot in the other calibers it comes with barrels for.

Admitted something like bullets and brass for that particular caliber is probably hard to come by. It might be one of those pain in the ass ones like 5.7 x 28 wrt reloading

Back
Top Bottom