• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's everyone's preferred big bore pistol?

Last edited:
I was shooting a 3" 44 Mag last weekend.

Recoil was not bad at all. We were shooting factory ammo.

After that, I stopped considering 44mag bug bore and started considering carrying one.
Yeah it’s very manageable for sure. Beyond 44 mag I’ve only shot 500 mag and that was just painful. 4" barrel and 325 gr loads. Never shot other calibers in between 44 mag and 500, like 460 454 etc

Yeah it’s very manageable for sure. Beyond 44 mag I’ve only shot 500 mag and that was just painful. 4" barrel and 325 gr loads. Never shot other calibers in between 44 mag and 500, like 460 454 etc
Yeah, 44 mag is where big bore ceases to be a multi box day at the range type of trip for me (while still being pleasant). The real big boys are fun, but I'm never going to shoot more than a full box of ammo in a day unless I load them down (which kind of defeats the purpose). I'm not a big recoil junkie.

460 is very snappy.

454 is not bad, my first 454 was a 3 or 4" revolver. It is a little more recoil than 44 mag, but not bad.

45-70 it doesn't feel better or worse than 460, the recoil is more like a long push. I am not sure how to describe it. I prefer it over the 460 recoil.

.44 or 500 Mag. Where is the picture of that little Latina girl saying "why not both?"

50 AE can be loaded with lead but you don't want to shoot lead in a Deagle. They are gas operated and you CANNOT access the gas tube to clean it as it is integral to the barrel.

.44 or 500 Mag. Where is the picture of that little Latina girl saying "why not both?"

50 AE can be loaded with lead but you don't want to shoot lead in a Deagle. They are gas operated and you CANNOT access the gas tube to clean it as it is integral to the barrel.
You can’t put it in a sonic cleaner?

That is it. I remember a thread about that.
So lame.

Not really.
I don't f***ing like all that lube gunk/lead mess whatever the f*** it is blowing in every crevice in the gun. Lead is exponentially dirtier. I used to shoot lead bullets through my 1911 all the time on pins at one point, but I stopped because I couldn't stand it anymore. On a revolver it doesnt seem to matter so much because the gun is still going to get filthy no matter what you shoot through it.

Besides if someone is running a DE they should be able to afford bullets for it. Even using hi brow shit to reload for that its probably still 20% of factory ammo costs.

ETA: if it doesnt make a mess then why are coated lead bullets so popular? Uhh, cause it reduces the f***ing mess in the gun. [laugh] Although I have no idea if those are safe to use
in a DE or not. Probably still too risky.

Can use plated in DE’s. I have to wonder if coated bullets would be okay after seeing how minimal damage there is to a plated bullet through my DE. The polygonal rifling is forgiving I guess.
I’ll stick with plated/jacketed

ETA: if it doesnt make a mess then why are coated lead bullets so popular? Uhh, cause it reduces the f***ing mess in the gun. [laugh] Although I have no idea if those are safe to use
smoky as f*** too. It’s brutal on indoor stages with guys shooting cast bullets 😂.

I don't f***ing like all that lube gunk/lead mess whatever the f*** it is blowing in every crevice in the gun. Lead is exponentially dirtier. I used to shoot lead bullets through my 1911 all the time on pins at one point, but I stopped because I couldn't stand it anymore. On a revolver it doesnt seem to matter so much because the gun is still going to get filthy no matter what you shoot through it.

Besides if someone is running a DE they should be able to afford bullets for it. Even using hi brow shit to reload for that its probably still 20% of factory ammo costs.

I shoot cast through my 1911, no issues. Maybe you were using lead that was too soft.

I don't know why coated are more popular, maybe because they don't need lube? ... maybe because people werent using the right size so they were leading the barrel? ... lubing 1000 bullets s*cks a**. I hate lubing just a couple of hundred for the Sharps.

I load coated for some guns, but not because of the lube, but because of how the lead feels after I picked up 100s of bullets. I think that feel is a little bit of lube residue, they feel kinda sticky, not sure.

I’m a 44 mag guy. Don’t need anything more for my use.
Super 14 T/C Contender
Mod 29 in 8” no hole.
Mod 629 in 5”/ hole that I wish was a 2.5 or 3” no hole.
Marlin lever from early 80’s I bought brand new.

Sold a couple along the way 8” 629 and an old Ruger Blackhawk 8” that was cherry.

Badass. How’s the recoil with 30-30. That would go well with my Marlin
It's hammering the palm with the original wood grip. Thanks to a fellow NES member I've got that grip for her to handle the .30-30, a max load of a 170 grs SP before 29.2 grs of VV N140.
1673119478143.jpeg
1673119504255.jpeg

I don't see much point in going over .45 in a cartridge gun, especially if this is just a for fun pistol regardless of if you reload or not. Even reloading, if you're shooting .480 or .50 caliber, you're paying almost a buck for just the bullet, factor in the case, primer, and powder charges and you're up to $1.25 that you have to spend time making yourself. With .45, the bullets cost much less and are just as fun to shoot.

IMO, .454 is as big as I'm ever going to be willing to go.

Now, for a muzzleloader, I have the .54 Lyman Plains Pistol and it is interesting to shoot; people who complain about Glock grip angles have nothing to gripe about if they shoot one of these! That said, the rifled bore doesn't really do much when I'm shooting at 25 yards, a smoothbore would be more fun because at those distances the accuracy is just fine, but I'd be able to shoot shot loads. This is why I was excited when the AGC DIablo was announced.

For $500 you can legally let your Mad Max fantasies run wild.

diablo-black-grip_252.jpg

20220518_144116.jpg FK Brno. Not sure if qualifies as big bore, though that is a 10mm on the left. Comes with a 10mm (and .40) barrel, but pistol is designed around the cartridge on the right. 7.5mm rifled cartridge, 100 grains, 2,000fps. Will go right thru any body armor but a ceramic plate. Semi-auto, less recoil than a revolver. There's a 4 ounce weight in the front that keeps the barrel down.

You can also buy a 9mm barrel.

They are coming out with a compact version.

.500S&W with Eddie Coyle hand loads
Too few understand this.
I remember meeting EC. I told him he couldn't park where he intended. He did anyway. [laugh]
It was my first time trying to organize parking at a shoot, where he had been many times and had a right to be. I didn't know.
"they are asking for all shooters to park down the hill so as to not crowd the tables and waiting area"
"sounds good"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom