• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's everyone's preferred big bore pistol?

I do already reload. That doesn't mean I want to drop $2k on the next 327 Federal Magnum. Especially when I've already got guns I like a lot in the other calibers it comes with barrels for.
You said your worry was ammo availability, not the cost of the gun.

I said reload.

You said your worry was ammo availability, not the cost of the gun.

I said reload.

Ammo availability is the bigger concern. Especially when the gun manufacturer is the only producer of the ammo so far. If it was under $500 I might have less trepidation about being an early adopter. Are reloading components even available? I wasn't able to find any in a brief search.

I don't f***ing like all that lube gunk/lead mess whatever the f*** it is blowing in every crevice in the gun. Lead is exponentially dirtier. I used to shoot lead bullets through my 1911 all the time on pins at one point, but I stopped because I couldn't stand it anymore. On a revolver it doesnt seem to matter so much because the gun is still going to get filthy no matter what you shoot through it.

Besides if someone is running a DE they should be able to afford bullets for it. Even using hi brow shit to reload for that its probably still 20% of factory ammo costs.

ETA: if it doesnt make a mess then why are coated lead bullets so popular? Uhh, cause it reduces the f***ing mess in the gun. [laugh] Although I have no idea if those are safe to use
in a DE or not. Probably still too risky.
Strange. I've been using swaged semi wadcutters in my 1911 almost exclusively for 3 years and I never noticed any lube gunk or anything different than jacketed ammo.

My big bore is a .45LC in a 4.5" Blackhawk. Has the .45ACP cylinder as well, but I don't use it near as much. .45LC can be loaded with sissy cowboy loads for denting cans, JHPs for two legged threats or heavy hard cast tooth rattlers for bear.

Though I would like a 20ga Howdah pistol loaded with birdshot for small game hunting.

I was shooting a 3" 44 Mag last weekend.

Recoil was not bad at all. We were shooting factory ammo.

After that, I stopped considering 44mag bug bore and started considering carrying one.
Was that mine? It’s pretty tame surprisingly. Esp for a 3”.

I bought it just to have a fun gun.

View attachment 706823FK Brno. Not sure if qualifies as big bore, though that is a 10mm on the left. Comes with a 10mm (and .40) barrel, but pistol is designed around the cartridge on the right. 7.5mm rifled cartridge, 100 grains, 2,000fps. Will go right thru any body armor but a ceramic plate. Semi-auto, less recoil than a revolver. There's a 4 ounce weight in the front that keeps the barrel down.

You can also buy a 9mm barrel.

They are coming out with a compact version.
I have 2 10mm pistols including a G20.

The recoil is nothing. Quite boring to tell the truth

Yes. It was not as bad as people say.
I’d say overall my 3” 44M, your 45-70 and your .460 were all not that bad. I’d have expected worse and none were really wrist breakers.

I cannot wait until you show up with a 6.5 Creedmore BFR revolver!!!!! Bring it!

I’d say overall my 3” 44M, your 45-70 and your .460 were all not that bad. I’d have expected worse and none were really wrist breakers.

I cannot wait until you show up with a 6.5 Creedmore BFR revolver!!!!! Bring it!
6.5cm would make a sh*tty handgun, just like .223 ... I was so disappointed the first time I shot a bolt action handgun in .223.

They need a 45/90 or a 50/70.

I need to measure the 45/70 cylinder, a 45/90 might fit if the bullet is seated pretty low, which shouldn't be an issue.

Smith and Wesson Model 57 in 41 Mag if you can find one. Got one in 4 inch barrel shoots real nice. I reload so ammo really not an issue.

I have a .45LC with a 5.5" barrel like this. I wouldn't traipse around grizzly country in Alaska, even with a mid-strength Buffalo Bore round, as I'm not sure it could handle the pressure. But it has a big hole so qualifies as a big bore, I suppose. It's a pretty picture anyways. This pic is from the interweb, but I have the same model.

cimarron-us-artillery-45lc-pr53471.jpg

I have 2 10mm pistols including a G20.

The recoil is nothing. Quite boring to tell the truth
To be clear, the pistol (to include its recoil mechanism) are designed around the 7.5mm rifled cartridge, and not the 10mm. I believe they are trying to really tamp down the recoil and jump to enable quick, accurate follow-up shots at a distance.

Back
Top Bottom