What's a good choice?

I personally am not a Sig fan. They are great guns and they are extremely reliable. I've had a few Sigs over the years but no longer own any. My first gun actually was a Sig P226 .40. My brothers friend is a state trooper and said they are the best guns on the planet.... Well, they are great guns but it all depends on what you're using it for. For competition they are def. not the best choice. The SW1911 would be better suited but remember it is a .45 and will have more bark than a 9mm but it can be used for more competitive games than a 9mm. I'm not a big Glock fan as I only have 1 and it is a subcompact gun but they are great guns for the money and no matter which model you buy will be a good gun. They are great for carry, competition, target shooting etc. I think (however, I don't have any experience with it) that the S&W M&P will be a better choice than even the Glock. Time will tell. Just know that you'll buy more than the 1 gun so if you buy the wrong one now you'll have more anyways. Take it from me I've made this mistake dozens of times. Now I stick with custom guns built for me.

Last edited:
Sigs are good guns. Too many like them a lot to discount them. However, Pete has a point I relate to. Based on what I've seen and heard of the SW M&P, it is worth a consideration and worth the wait when it becomes compliant. I've handled one but haven't shot it yet. The grip angle, the trigger, the sights, and the mags feel better to me than the stock Glock. The grip angle is more natural with the bore, the trigger is lighter, the sights are metal with more light on the sides, and the mags are a slick metal construction. It has the rail that you won't find easily in MA at the moment if you like that. I think my next two handguns are going to be an M&P and a 625.

I recently shot the M&P .40 during a demo at S&W.

It is a surprisingly easy-to-shoot gun. Nice, smooth trigger action, and there is something about the polymer frame and barrel lockup system that makes it shoot about as softly as a 9mm.

Nice gun!

after a few recommendations i started looking in to the SW M&P. I contacted a rep at SW and they had said that since it has a 6.5lb trigger pull it will be LEO. back to the drawing board for first purchase

Coyote33 said:
I thought M&P was for Military and Police only.
If not, look for a law coming soon to try just that.

Adam_MA said:
M&P does stand for Military and Police, however S&W has been selling their M&P pistols for a very long time. This is just their first semi-auto version, and it is available now in the civilian market, and S&W is already working on getting it tested and certified for addition to the roster for MA.

DevilMan said:
after a few recommendations i started looking in to the SW M&P. I contacted a rep at SW and they had said that since it has a 6.5lb trigger pull it will be LEO. back to the drawing board for first purchase

See?

DevilMan said:

That only applies to MA for the time being. They will come out with a version for MA. That is why we said it is worth the wait. It is selling in the rest of the country and getting good reviews. Read up: SW M&P

http://www.fsguns.com/whatsnew.html

Last edited:
all i meant by my post is that it is out of the question for the first purchase. after reading up on it i definitely want one, but i cant foresee waiting for it to be approved to be my first firearms purchase.

This how it works, if you want a gun that is supposed to become compliant and wait, it will take months. If you don't wait and buy something else, it will be named compliant the following week.... and then become non-compliant in three weeks. [wink]

Your plan of going to Four Seasons is all you need. They will steer you in the right direction.

I guess it all depends on when you get your permit. I was told that the MA version will have a 10# trigger which will be useless. However, you'll be able to buy the "human" trigger that the rest of the world gets and put that in. If the gun is out when your permit comes in then get it if not then buy a Glock or 1911. Both will give you the best bang for your buck.

Pete

The short answer to first hangun purchase is a 4" .357 revolver.
Preferred models are S&W M686 or Ruger GP100.
You can plink, practice and learn the basics of shooting with .38 Spl. target loads. You can CCW or hunt with appropriate .357 mag loads.
They are plentiful and relatively inexpensive.
Even after you are more experienced and perhaps focused on a specific shooting discipline, the 4" revolver will remain a favorite backup, utility or plinker.

A multi caliber choice

I was in your position awhile ago, when I first started to shoot again. My answer would be to by a Tangliofoli semiauto pistol. This one frame has 22 rimfire with adjustable sights available. There are a few 9mm around, and there are 45 cal. uppers also. I once missed a new pistol which included both 45 & 22 in the same box. EAA imported them like this for a while. This pistol is also available as a single action. I know many people will say they're not great, but there are serios competitors using them in various matches. Seems like an economical way to have a few choices without going broke.
Gun & Sport North in Lawrence Ma has 2 on hand. I was just considering trading for one. They have a website, tell Rob you were talking to Jim from Haverhill if you should call.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom