• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's a good 45 ACP Revolver?

Looking to get a decent 45 ACP revolver. Anyone have one? Pro's and Cons?Never used moon clips, and was wondering if they're worth the trouble.[thinking]

The S&W 625 is an excellent revolver. Typical S&W quality, and the moon clips are not a big deal. I like them actually; it's like having all of your rounds in speedloaders, although they're actually quicker to load than a speedloader.

I've had one for about a year and I like it a lot. It's very accurate and the recoil is less than a .357. I had it at the pumpkin shoot - you could've shot it then!

You can actually shoot it without moonclips in a pinch because the cases headspace on the mouth; the moonclips only aid extraction.

Also, since you reload you can look for .45 Auto Rim brass (Starline makes it). As the name implies, .45 Auto Rim is just a rimmed version of the .45 ACP case designed so that you can shoot it in revolvers without the need for moonclips.

If you get a 625, you will not be disappointed.

Try to find a 25-2 S&W. They are still around and are great guns. The 625 is also excellent but having owned and shot both, the 25-2 is still my favorite.

GAMEGUNS007.jpg

I fired Cross-X's 625 after a IDPA shoot, really liked it, and have been thinking about getting one. Just wanted to get a little feedback before I broke out the wallet. Thanks.

Roger on the 25 / 625; NEGATIVE on the Miculek grips.

They obviously work for Jerry, but no-one I know likes them, including some seriously LARGE-handed shooters. It's like holding a greased banana. I replaced them with Hogue coco bola finger-groove grips. Dropping loaded guns at matches is NOT a good thing.......

Now I buy 200 gr. RNFP bullets exclusively in .452 and can shoot the same ammo in either the 625 or any of my .45 semi-autos. Handy.

I like the Miculek grip, I replaced them with the standard Hogue and didn't like the way the gun handled or recoiled. I couldn't hit a damn thing at speed with hogue, to a point were I thought I had bumped the sight, went back the Miculek and it shot fine. But as Scrivener, not many people like them.

Roger on the 25 / 625; NEGATIVE on the Miculek grips.

They obviously work for Jerry, but no-one I know likes them, including some seriously LARGE-handed shooters. It's like holding a greased banana. I replaced them with Hogue coco bola finger-groove grips. Dropping loaded guns at matches is NOT a good thing.......

Now I buy 200 gr. RNFP bullets exclusively in .452 and can shoot the same ammo in either the 625 or any of my .45 semi-autos. Handy.

Scriv-I have been using the Miculek grips exclusively for over a year now and really like them. They force a high grip and allow for better trigger control. Moony just needs to stop eating that greasy stuff before a match[rofl] [rofl]

As for Cross-X's revolver one has the nicest action you will find [smile]

Regards,

I like the Miculek grip...

First time I saw one at the range I said to the guy, "Nice grips, did you make them yourself?"

Then he let me try them and I liked them. Not enough to change out the Hogues on my 625, but they were better than I expected.

I shot Jim's 625 at the pumkin shoot as I have been considering getting one of these for a while. I really liked it and it's on the list of things I'd like to get. I've been thinking of trying revolver in USPSA, and I think this platform would work best. Then again, I usually shoot my 1911 at USPSA. I'll have to make myself stick with revolver and not give up right away as I'm sure I'll be very SLOW during the reloads.

I have a 5' bbl and i love it. if you go with moon clips get full moon and you may need a tool to extract them if they are metal.
There are FMC made of polymer by a company called "Rimz"
I found for informal use they are great but I don't shoot IDPA orIPSC so I can't say if they would work well in that situation
Oh IMHO stay away from the half moon clips I've ripped my fingers up trying empty cases out of them

I have a 5' bbl and i love it. if you go with moon clips get full moon and you may need a tool to extract them if they are metal.
There are FMC made of polymer by a company called "Rimz"
I found for informal use they are great but I don't shoot IDPA orIPSC so I can't say if they would work well in that situation
Oh IMHO stay away from the half moon clips I've ripped my fingers up trying empty cases out of them
Are you saying that it is hard to remove the moonclips from the revolver, or that it is hard to remove the empty cartridge cases from the moonclip? The former is absolutely false, the latter is true -- that's why you use a demooning tool.

As for using full moon clips in IDPA or IPSC competition, IMHO they are the only way to shoot a revolver in each. oon clips are far, far faster and more fumble-free than speedloaders.

removing the cases from the moon clips that's why I suggested the "rimz" full moon clips. I don't know if anyone on the forum have used "Rimz" FMC but my informal use tells me I"d be a bit leery on using them in competition. they don't hold the cases as snugly
Sorry for the poorly organized thoughts.

Last edited:
removing the cases from the moon clips that's why I suggested the "rimz" full moon clips. I don't know if anyone on the forum have used "Rimz" FMC but my informal use tells me I"d be a bit leery on using them in competition. they don't hold the cases as snugly
Sorry for the poorly organized thoughts.

For case removal, a piece of 1/2" copper tubing with 1/2 the diameter relieved 1/4" on one end works great.

The RIMZ clips of the new design work great in competition and make life a little easier. I used the mlast year at the S&W IDPA Winter Championship. I sucked but the clips were great [wink]

Best moon clip loading/unloading tool I have found is from Middleboro Gun Shop. I have one for 45ACP and one I converted for my 627 8TIMES 38spl/357MAG.

There are places to buy moon clips at a great price ($30 per 100 for 45ACP) and there are ways to keep this gear organized. I will start a thread in a few days with some pics.

AND SUPERMOTO: Great looking Miculek revolver. All it needs are night sights and I just happen to have a custom made set for sale that will fit right on. [smile]

regards,

Gary

Is there a 4.5" one for these? How about in general? Or is it just even numbers?

625 Model of 1989 came in 3" and 5". 3" was a low production run and difficult to find. The had problems with tight chambers and forcing cone angles. They also used a "Floating hand" which made trigger jobs difficult.

Current production 625 is 4" and 5"

25-2 came in 6" and 6.5". 6.5" is a little harder to find.

regards,

I went to look at a consignment 625 over at Four Seasons, but they only had a 25-2 and I'm partial to the stainless models. Four inchers are in less demand that the five inch models, probably because they fit into the IDPA "box". I have small hands, so I like the standard Hoage grips too.

Four inchers are in less demand that the five inch models, probably because they fit into the IDPA "box".
Not quite correct. Revolvers don't have to fit into the IDPA box -- that is only for semi-autos. Revolvers just have to have a barrel 4.2" or shorter. See page 18 of the 2005 IDPA rules, where it states:
In addition to meeting the criteria for all equipment, pistols, with an empty magazine inserted, must fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8 ¾” x 6” x 1 5/8”. Exception: Revolvers do NOT have to fit in the box.

Now go to page 24 where it reads:
5. Enhanced Service Revolver Division (ESR)

Handguns permitted for use in this division must:
A. ...
B. Have a barrel length of 4.2” or less (as measured from the
front of the cylinder).

And finally page 25 reads:
6. Stock Service Revolver Division (SSR)
Handguns permitted for use in this division must be:
A. ...
B. Barrel length of 4.2” or less (as measured from the front of
the cylinder).

Ordered a spankin' new four-inch 625 from Four Seasons. Can't wait for the "it's here" phone call. I'm a bit hesitant to have a trigger job done as I've witnessed frequent failure to fire problems on 625's that have had trigger jobs.[grin] Still haven't decided on metal or plastic moon clips, and I've been looking EVERYWHERE for those clear plastic tubes for loaded moon clips.

This is the 22-4 4" "Thunder Ranch" revolver with aftermarket grips. Fixed sights, square butt. Nice gun.

109055258-M.jpg

Back
Top Bottom