• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What will you do in 2015 to prep? (was 2014)

I plan on doing more rustic camping. In fact, I'm going out this coming weekend with a buddy. We're going to try every type of fire starting we can think of. He's very knowledgeable about the woods, especially around here so I hope to learn a lot.

Now, I just need all my gear to finally get here. No time like the last minute to get everything.

I'm off to try a bannock recipe.

Getting serious about water storage. Planning to get several 30 gallon water containers and maybe a dozen stackable 5 gallon water containers. Looking a water stabilizers so I can store it for five or more years.

Left over from last year:
Take a wilderness first aid course
Get winterseed patch
This year:
Spend more time with the kids in the woods. 2013 has been a ridiculously busy year with both my wife and I in school. We didnt get into the woods much at all.
Finish the reorg of our tac gear and train with it.
Add rabbits to the herd.
Run a half marathon.
Hit 5 4000'ers with the fam this summer.

fence the yard, get some chickens, train my pups for bird hunting, larger more sucessful garden, more canning, more ammo, build safe room, install property camera's. yes that should keep me busy

I'm going to buy a dehydrator, Water Filter, a generator, and some paracord. Get another beehive or two, get the garden going. Hopefully buy a house and move.

tony P.

I'm looking to get up to a month's worth of mixed food supplies for the entire family this year, we used to have a great two-week kit due to the threat of earthquake in WA, but the preps have not been re-established since we've been Back East.

Posted from my car phone.

I really need to take some first aid training of some kind. It just isn't enough to have all the manuals, I need some hands on, in class training. I tried contacting someone at HSC that was ostensibly offering trauma first aid, but I never heard back. Anyone know of a good course?

Bought some new gear today after cashing out credit card points

Ilbe Pack $50 (used,no assault pack)
Esbit 3 piece cookset $20
Esbit fuel $6
Sawyer sp128 water filter $20
Becker bk9 $80

No cash out of pocket for a good start to a trunk bag. Planning on picking up the 4 piece sleep system at some point. Also picking up dome mountain house food at Walmart when I get the chance.

2014 is all about bettering me. Getting into much better shape, practicing useful skills, studying up on new skills, planning and organizing. I also hope to start a new garden since we just moved. Other than that I will pick up misc supplies and useful items at the need and availability arises.

Commercial fisherman here, I am all set.

Might contribute more to the IRA this year though (retirement account, not the other one)

Create a 72 hour bag and refresh my MRE's that expired last December. I might get really sauced up one night with my friends and create some dares and the looser has to eat them.....

Made a couple beer can side burner alcohol stoves today. They are pot stands too so all in one. Working on developing a 72 hour bag. Have a EEE slingpack working off of now but going to pick up an Ilbe assault pack.

Not much of a prepper but I'm going to get a good backpack and make a 72 hour BOB for me and the fam

Buy an ilbe assault pack. Can get em for under 20. Can add it to an ilbe ruck in the future.

Marines added it in like 06 but replaced it because it does not get along well with body armor, not a problem for most civilians. Makes it cheap.

Last edited:
Antibiotics, and three different types.......but I am not sure where to buy it from yet.

http://aquaticpharmacy.com/

To contribute to the thread:

My latest prep was an Israeli M15 gas mask with filter. I'll definitely need to find some add'l filters, but it's at start (don't plan on ever having to use it either, but you know the saying "better to have and not need...")

Towards the end of last year Amazon had some pretty good lightning/holiday deals on filters. Ended up with an MSR miniworks, and a couple of Sawyers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom