What will you do in 2015 to prep? (was 2014)

Gaining knowledge first of all. Im new to the idea of prepping, so basically starting at square one. Ive been trying to buy a little extra of stuff if its on sale, to slowly build up a stash.

Getting plans in place for dealing with different scenarios, from losing power for a day or two to total shtf. I seem to be better able to focus if I write things down and work off a list rather than winging it.

Taking inventory of things around the house to decide whats essential for any short, medium, or long term scenarios.

First aid/medical training.

Improve my diet and get an exercise routine together.

Make more of an effort to network with like-minded individuals.

Make time for reloading and shooting.

Look into different ways to get some extra cash coming in.

Posted this in the "What have you done recently" thread before I saw this one...

I've challenged myself to learn one new skill each month in 2014. January will be learning to tie 5 new knots. Feb I'm enrolled in a fabric weaving class. Still thinking about the rest of the year, but I got a fancy new compass for Christmas so learning how to use that will be one month and probably getting my HAM radio license will be another. I think I'd also like to learn to kill and dress a chicken.

Hoping to move, with the objective primarly being a $0 mortgage and the other advantages of being in a MUCH more rural area.

Also need to get some health issues addressed, not only are they impacting my prepping ability but are my weakest link when SHTF.

The little projects if we are successful in buying and moving are too numerous to list of course.

Well, my rifle is soon to be done. I will train. In any weather. Minimum once a week, 10-15 rounds of precision ammo, 50 rounds of plinking, 50 rounds handgun weekly, no excuses. That's gonna be pretty much what my ammo budget wii allow me (MK262 is speedy, around $1.10/pop).
i need a better BOB, and will maybe build a lightweight carbine. And I need to get in a better shape. Lost 60 lbs already in 13. Would like the same amount in 14.

My sister gave my wife a beehive , beekeeping gear , prepaid bee school classes , and a swarm(?) herd flock of bees to be delivered this spring. ... We also finally settled the debate over where to put the chicken coop I built last winter .... So chickens and bees for her.

I'm going to build a fireplace in a friends cabin in Maine. Upgrading his scene and further cementing my invite to the place as a BOL in the event Things Get Weird.

I've got more components amassed for reloading 5.56 than I can lift , and it's time to spend some serious time turning it into ammo. And I am about to start casting the lead ingots I made over the summer into a large amount of 45 slugs.

I am dedicating myself to becoming a serious PItA with my buddies to start training together in small unit tactics , time to move beyond the local 100 yard ranges where we all get together to not train to work as a team.

Going to at least double the stores at home , which isnt hard to do when buying bulk.

And, when SE Maine melts down a bit in March I will resume the endless upgrade and stocking of my little cabin.

I'll be busy , the trick is that it's all FUN , not work.

I realized that even though I've lived in the area for a few years I'm not that familiar with the area in general. I need to work on alternate routes to and from home and get a better feel for the main and back roads.

Need more range time. I'm a decent shot but would like to be better overall.

Beekeeping classes at Bristol Agricultural school. Welding classes at the local Voke School. And I got a Excalibur Food dehydrator for Christmas.

Also thinking of jumping back into buying some silver. Prices are down. Trying to figure where the bottom might be.

Hoping to take either a hunter's ed course or wilderness first aid in 2014. Ideally both. Gotta get back on the elliptical. Having a nasty cold for the past couple of weeks has really taken a toll on my physical fitness goals. Also need to put some hours in with the AR. Been focusing mostly on pistol in 2013.

Look through the BOBs and see what we can lighten up to add more food without sacrificing the essentials. I have certain redundancies in them that may have to go to cut some weight from the packs.

Posted this in the "What have you done recently" thread before I saw this one...

I've challenged myself to learn one new skill each month in 2014. January will be learning to tie 5 new knots. Feb I'm enrolled in a fabric weaving class. Still thinking about the rest of the year, but I got a fancy new compass for Christmas so learning how to use that will be one month and probably getting my HAM radio license will be another. I think I'd also like to learn to kill and dress a chicken.

Knots:
This one good:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Morrow-Gu...?ie=UTF8&qid=1388602651&sr=8-1&keywords=knots

This one a little more specialized:
http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Knots...602800&sr=8-1&keywords=the+outdoor+knots+book

Bee keeping may be on the list. My garden did crappy last year.

I have this. It's got a deck of cards with 50 different knots. It also includes a couple sticks and some string so you're good to go right away. I think I got it at REI for about $5.

aru6egu7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mostly just storing more food. Have a good half months worth of food on hand hoping to expand that a bit more with what limited space I have. Water is not so much a concern with a river nearby but a filter should be on the list to make that water more feasible. I should probably get some purification tablets as a stop gap till than.

I have this. It's got a deck of cards with 50 different knots. It also includes a couple sticks and some string so you're good to go right away. I think I got it at REI for about $5.

aru6egu7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! We actually got a game last year that has a deck of cards with knots, 4 strands of nylon rope and two rings so in addition to learning the knots, you can also make a game out of it to see who can tie the fastest or do the most in a set amount of time. Problem was, we never got to it and it sat all year, so I decided this year I'm gonna start learning these knots! I've chosen as my first 5: Figure Eight, Clove Hitch, Reef, Carrick Bend, and Bowline. AFter some online research, these made the top 5 or 10 lists on many sites.

More storeable food. Can never have enough, as well as a system to store water. We went from a condo in Mass, to a house with a dry basement, so really figuring out how to best utilize that asset to its fullest potential.
Also, getting out to some Free State Project/ Area 23 classes and events to network and meet some new, like minded folks.

Step one - go green. Check! ( just completed that by paypal route few min ago).

Big ticket item: Buy a modern hand water pump for well ( maybe one at each location) Almost a grand for one I want (stainless, will connect to hose and pressurize tank connected to camp or home system. can also connect to small windmill to run it. Will pump water up to holding tank on second level) Besides, I just love pumping water out of a well for outdoor chores. Just need one at my place. this is last key piece needed for comfort with grid down and no fuel for generator.

Small ticket item: buy quality one man and two man saws for cutting firewood. Just in case no gas for chainsaws

Misc: Work on furthering relationship with Amish in the area of bug out location. More than half the farms around me are Amish.. I let one tap sugarbush in exchange for having a rooster and six hens I can pick up anytime. Working on getting deal for a pair of goats.
(my workshed is actually a mini barn designed for to keep chickens, goats, and a milk cow). Everything to convert over to barn is stored in the loft of shop. Plan to imitate Amish lifestyle (without having an objection to using violence in self defense)

Increase stock of on hand food supply (family keeps growing so needs keep growing)

Sell off some firearms I don't deem essential with eye to simplfying number of calibers. Add a few I want.

I got my HAM Technician license last year, I will get my General and perhaps my Extra license this year. Also go my LTC and Utah non Resident last year and have worked hard to develop my skills. Will continue by getting involved in IDPA and USPCA this year.

Buy another piece of rental property - 3 units in or around Boston would be ideal. Prepping goal #1 - financial independence.

Save/invest 20% of my family's gross income for the year - financial independence.

Buy a better generator for my primary residence. Prepping goal #2 - short term energy independence.

Long term goal (probably 2015 or 2016): solar panels & smart grid for my primary residence (long term energy independence, or as least as close as I can practically get)

for real prep i am going to take the beekeeping class this year- it's been himself's job up til now because the little ones were too underfoot. For my next big thing i am getting my real estate license, with any money coming in treated as a prep bonus and helping keep kids out of college debt. i really want a hand pump for the well

Back
Top Bottom