• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What will you do in 2015 to prep? (was 2014)

What will you do in 2014 to prep?

Best price on wheat is augason brand from Walmart.com with free shipping. It's often out of stock.

My prep philosophy is about rotation. I have a 1 year supply of staples for my 6 member family, but it is all stuff we eat. I don't have any freeze dried stuff or MREs.

My wife actually just baked some bread using the augason red wheat last night.

Last edited:
Best price on wheat is augason brand from Walmart.com with free shipping. It's often out of stock.

My prep philosophy is about rotation. I have a 1 year supply of staples for my 6 member family, but it is all stuff we eat. I don't have any freeze dried stuff or MREs.

My wife actually just baked some bread using the augason red wheat last night.

Thank you, I have been looking for some wheat, but the shipping costs are to high.

Ground my own hard red wheat last night and made bread. I have an electric bread machine but also make in my gas oven. Nothing like fresh warm bread!

LDS is on my list for this year- Also looking for beans in bulk. Anyone go to the worchester LDS in the last few months?

Started to build a Faraday cage today, picked some HD aluminum foil and flashing tape. Thinking of using a couple of thick ice coolers. Planing on lining then with cardboard inside along with the ALU foil, with a thick outer cover of ALU foil outside and sealing the lid with the tape.
What are your thoughts. I like the garbage can idea, but I don't need that much storage space taken up useful space.

Jason.

Started to build a Faraday cage today, picked some HD aluminum foil and flashing tape. Thinking of using a couple of thick ice coolers. Planing on lining then with cardboard inside along with the ALU foil, with a thick outer cover of ALU foil outside and sealing the lid with the tape.
What are your thoughts. I like the garbage can idea, but I don't need that much storage space taken up useful space.

Jason.

Don't forget to ground it.

I'm planning a "no electricty" weekend at home next weekend. Shut off the main breaker. Drag out the generator and see if we can run the fridge with it. Let the kids try and deal with it when there's no power. Should be a learning experience.

I'm planning a "no electricty" weekend at home next weekend. Shut off the main breaker. Drag out the generator and see if we can run the fridge with it. Let the kids try and deal with it when there's no power. Should be a learning experience.

Good idea Henry, pay attention to how much fuel you burn.

Don't forget to ground it.

I used one of the Behrens galvanized steel trash cans (if not the same exact one as this video), lined it on the inside, and threw a whole bunch of electronics in here along with batteries/battery chargers/etc.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoQZY1FtI3c

Apparently the guy in the vid believes it doesn't need to be grounded, not sure if I'd want to rely on his test conclusively.

A Faraday cage doesn't need to be grounded to work, but can build up a damaging static charge itself if it's not. Should be ideally grounded with 1 mega-ohm resister.

It will be grounded, I might have a lead on a 15 gallon metal grease can, it was lined with plastics so there in no grease left over. It has a metal locking drum style cover and I will wrap the cover in ALU tape once I seal the lid. This barrel is not the size of a large metal trash can so its about what I was planing on for space anyways.

I like this idea better, cause if my basement every flooded the gear will stay dry. And if anyone every broke in they will over look it perhaps as it looks like a trash can.

Worked on my Coleman lanterns last night got side tracked on my Faraday box, got two out of three working mint. They are older models but ya can't kill the old ones.

Jason.

IMO should have been a new thread, keeps things neat. (maybe in 2016).

I need to get serious about water collection, my crummy drippy gutters can be easily converted into a water collecting system, with the help of a few 5 Gallon buckets. I have three 55Gal drums which I'm not using, that's foolish.

Must buy that 2KW inverter generator, it's pricy for the good ones (Honda, Yamaha), but, I must find a way. I guess a piggy bank won't be a bad idea. Otherwise a 1K$ with no other use is not easy to come up with.

Looks like I'm getting chickens this spring, done some reading, and mentally ready for it, will start building a coop as they arrive, that will give me a month to build it, right around the time when the soil is more friendly to dig into. hopefully I won't chicken out (ha) when spring arrives.

Review my medicine/first aid cabinet and keep stocking it.

I finished my performance review at work today, so I probably over-verbosed this one post, being that I'm on a role.
Will be nice to check this post in a few months to see how I'm doing.

LDS is on my list for this year- Also looking for beans in bulk. Anyone go to the worchester LDS in the last few months?
Wife and I went there a couple of months ago. If you're looking for bulk beans, they've sure got em. I think 50# for either $15 or $25? Very reasonable at any rate.

Wife and I went there a couple of months ago. If you're looking for bulk beans, they've sure got em. I think 50# for either $15 or $25? Very reasonable at any rate.

when I last went, they had navy, black and brown beans. If you don't want to do mylar, you can dry vacuum pack mason jars.

we use mason jars for some of our longer term foods because they are manageable in size and can be resealed. 5 year old dry packed beans are nearly indistinguishable from what you buy new, but they MAY take a bit longer to cook

knfmn- did you call ahead to set up a time? Do they have 50# bags that you can buy or do you have to repackage them there? JayMcb- I have an attachment for my vacuum sealer that I've never used- is that what you use?

when I last went, they had navy, black and brown beans. If you don't want to do mylar, you can dry vacuum pack mason jars.

we use mason jars for some of our longer term foods because they are manageable in size and can be resealed. 5 year old dry packed beans are nearly indistinguishable from what you buy new, but they MAY take a bit longer to cook

Can't you just pick up the big bags of beans at Walmart or BJ's?

I have been buying salt

I wish I could STOP buying salt! (blood pressure)

Redoing out aux heat options. Hoping to rebuild ammo storage. Hoping to acquire a second firearm for all calibers we already have one of. Oh, and make a ton on jerky.

knfmn- did you call ahead to set up a time? Do they have 50# bags that you can buy or do you have to repackage them there? JayMcb- I have an attachment for my vacuum sealer that I've never used- is that what you use?
Nope. We just showed up. The folks there were super helpful. They walked us around the place and gave us an overview, then let us decide what we wanted to buy. The big bags they had were 50# sacks of beans. I think they might be in the process of getting more stuff in big bulk like that? There are tons of #10 cans of stuff, too. Word of advice: when you go, get a few bags of their pancake mix. We got some and it's stupid good.

Nope. We just showed up. The folks there were super helpful. They walked us around the place and gave us an overview, then let us decide what we wanted to buy. The big bags they had were 50# sacks of beans. I think they might be in the process of getting more stuff in big bulk like that? There are tons of #10 cans of stuff, too. Word of advice: when you go, get a few bags of their pancake mix. We got some and it's stupid good.

Where is this place again, and is there one in Central MA?

It's in Worcester at 231 Brooks St. It looks like the part the regular public can shop in is open on Thursdays and Saturdays. They get their trucks in on the first Tuesday of each month, so a trip next weekend would probably be a good idea.

I've been there several times good people, I'm thinking of making another run this week for more stock drop me a pm if you want to hook up.

Anyone who is going there just keep in mind these folks are very religious, but like minded like us.

Jason.

Pushing permaculture on our property pretty hard this year. Been playing with bits and pieces but really need to tie it all together. Also going to try to take me beekeeping into the sideliner realm and actually make a little money at it. Looking at a new chicken coop and woodshed if the time and money are there. Purchasing the 2 acres next to us. It is all hardwood with oak and maples so firewood and syrup. It also keeps a house from going there.

It's in Worcester at 231 Brooks St. It looks like the part the regular public can shop in is open on Thursdays and Saturdays. They get their trucks in on the first Tuesday of each month, so a trip next weekend would probably be a good idea.

Thursday nights also? Anyone up for a trip? I think Pullman Arms is on that street, or the next one over.

Let's see... get 6 more chickens and 10 ducks.
Widen out the stream for the ducks to have a place to swim.
Set up an outside outlet and an inside transfer switch for the genny.
Get 4 more gas cans for said genny.
Buy lots more guns and ammo to put in the gun shop we're building in the barn. (Oh, wait... I gotta sell those!)

Back
Top Bottom