What to use for a LPK and Stock

GunGrey

Banned
What should i be looking for in the LPK, I thinking about going with the DD LPK due to everyone raving about them. ive seen them for about 75$ but over at palmetto state (yea i know i bitched about them not shipping recievers to ma and said i wouldnt do business with them) but im very frugal with my money and am willing to give them another shot. They have their own LPK for about 55$. So any input on them?

Also since this will be neutered gun, Everyone on here is inlove with the Ace skeleton stocks. Ive never shot one with an ace stock are they comfortable and do they give a nice cheekweld? I was personally thinking about putting either and fixed A style stock on there either an A1 or A2, or maybe a magpul CTR (honestly i would really like a UBR).

I also cant make up my mind on what the final gun will be, I like the Recce builds i see on M4Carbine.com and the SPR are cool. Then again the old school A2 rifle style are pretty nice.

Some lpk's have a better fit and finish than others. For example, on some DPMS kits I've used in the past the safety has a little nib from the cast which creates this interim position between safe and fire. A little cleaning with a file makes it go away but if it you don't want to mess with anything, you may be better off going with a more expensive kit. I don't mind some minor adjustments and polishing so a $40 LPK is fine with me. I don't have any experience with the Palmetto State kit so I can't talk to it.

As for the stock question, why not go with the UBR? You can just pin it, same as any other collapsible stock to comply with the MA regs. If you like fixed stocks better, the Ace is a great alternative to the A2 as its light and very comfortable. You can get a good cheekweld. I would recommend it.

I have an Ace stock. It's definitely comfortable. When you put the foam tube on, soap up the buffer tube first (as the directions say). It won't go on without it.

I used a DPMS LPK because I got it at a good price. The roll pins were crazy tight, but otherwise it was fine. I don't see myself spending the money for a match trigger anytime soon.

i might try the PSA for the price its not bad and ive used google, the consesus is the are good not super great but good nonetheless

im in no rush, this is going to be a gradual build. paycheck to paycheck type progress.

1) Get a good LPK, or if you go with a cheap one, I would recommend getting KNS or similar anti-roll/walkout pins. My trigger pins (from a local manuf's LPK) keep creeping out under recoil.

2) If you can find a way to pin it, go with the UBR. It's an awesome stock (unless you want a light built. It's a heavy SOB).

I'm considering my first AR build.

Anyone have experience with the Bushmaster fixed ACR stock, seen here?

Price is fair, and I love the looks.

That stock will NOT work on an AR. It is designed for the ACR, which is a completely different animal from the AR.

Magpul has some AR stocks which are visually similar to that. Check out the ACS and UBR. The UBR will be tough to pin, and I don't know about the ACS.

ETA: The ACS uses a standard carbine buffer tube, so it shouldn't be too hard to pin.
ETA2: Disregard the pinning BS if you live in Free America.

That stock will NOT work on an AR. It is designed for the ACR, which is a completely different animal from the AR.

Thanks for the info. That saved me a lot of time looking online. I appreciate it.

Magpul has some AR stocks which are visually similar to that. Check out the ACS and UBR. The UBR will be tough to pin, and I don't know about the ACS.

Nice looking stocks. Shame they're over twice the price of the ACR stock. Wish I hadn't noticed the price and gave myself false hope... [wink]

Any idea if there are any stocks out there that are visually similar to the UBR type but without the telescoping functionality? Something that is purely asthetic but still well-made?

Thanks for the info. That saved me a lot of time looking online. I appreciate it.

Nice looking stocks. Shame they're over twice the price of the ACR stock. Wish I hadn't noticed the price and gave myself false hope... [wink]

Any idea if there are any stocks out there that are visually similar to the UBR type but without the telescoping functionality? Something that is purely asthetic but still well-made?

I don't know of any others, really. If you like the skeletonized look, ACE makes some good stocks (and most of the models are fixed, so no pinning).

Other than that, all I have to say is that the MagPul stocks are top notch and, IMNSHO, well worth the price.

My experience with DPMS LPK's have been hit or miss. When it's a miss it's things like uneven machining (so you have a "bump" when switching from safe to fire, etc).

I've used an Armalite LPK which was very nicely made (though it had a heavy trigger) and a Stag LPK which is also very nicely made with a great trigger.

The Stag LPK had the nicest trigger out of the three... and was ~$60 or $65 if I remember correctly. If I had to do it again, I'd go with another Stag LPK.

These have been awesome for me - http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GRT-LPK

I absolutely despise DPMS LPK's. Such a headache the rollpins have been.

Also, if you want the Magpul CTR and have to pin it, you might as well save a bunch of money and go with the MOE. Looks the same, just doesn't have the locking lever.

yea you're right

execpt i dont like the pricing on the G&R kit, rather buy the DD for less and get all the components

Last edited:
Dealer lowracer can hit the barn lowracer's Avatar

Feedback Score
3 (100%)

Default RRA LPK w/2-stage NM trigger $119 DELIVERED

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/in...f4452eaf8769d3

Product is on special for $129 but you can take another ten bucks off by using Coupon Code: NES_ROCKS

Total DELIVERED price: $119.

ONLY WHILE SUPPLIES LAST. LIMITED QUANTITIES
Offer ends Feb 28th 2011 or when supplies are exhausted.

I ended up putting an Ergo F93 on my AR and pinning it. I had an ace stock, which is great by the way if you want a fixed stock, but the rifle was a bit front heavy so to both balance it out, and allow for a degree of adjust-ability (the PITA Mass way, but better than none) I put the F93 on. The F93 was originally a Magpul stock but they scrapped it and sold the rights to Ergo, and its a great, cool looking, sturdy stock IMO. Great cheek weld as well.

518969_1.jpg

As for a lower parts kit I have heard the spikes battle trigger is great. They sell an "enhanced lower parts kit" for about 150 that comes with that trigger, the KNS anti rotation pins, a bigger milled trigger guard, and ergo pistol grip. May be worth taking a look at.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom