What to do to shell casing to let non-LTC friend take it home?

Related, how do you dispose of brass in MA? Say you don't reload and find a spent shell in your shirt from the range? Or you reload and have some bad brass? If there's all these laws around possession of ammunition components, how do you dispose of the brass?

Just come to NH and give it to my 1 and 4 year old kids. They will have a blast throwing it down the stairs and stacking it up and knocking it down. No laws will be broken and life will go on.

I love seeing .22 cases on construction sites I work on. They are left over from ramsetting into concrete. Business as usual and whole neighborhoods aren't locked down. I wonder if any of these are used on school grounds, or gov. buildings. Of course they are.

I love seeing .22 cases on construction sites I work on. They are left over from ramsetting into concrete. Business as usual and whole neighborhoods aren't locked down. I wonder if any of these are used on school grounds, or gov. buildings. Of course they are.

Imagine some electrician pokes a hole in a wall to run cable, and out rolls a spent ramset casing from decades ago. Instant district-wide lockdown, helicopters, wringing of hands, the whole bit.

How much you want to bet, that, lacking an LTC, and in MA, you could be SHOT, and then arrested for possessing an AMMUNITION COMPONENT - the bullet in you.

I doubt the Law has ANY exclusions.

ZERO TOLERANCE

I had a Flag Day old veteran honor guard give my kid (when he was a cub scout) a spent casing from a 21gun salute. Had my son return it to the veteran and told the vet that possession of ammo components in MA without a firearms license was a no-no. Vet just shook his head.

JAIL TIME GRANDMA !!

294.1L.jpg

Can you frikkin' imagine if some young man brought this to school on Show-N-Tell Day, explaining his Grandpa and he put it together as a project ?

Between the Anti-Tobacco Crowd and the Insane Anti-Guns, we'd be talking DDS and a Total Shit Show.

Unless Junior was a MUSLIM - Then HANDS-OFF !! It's just a CLOCK, you Racist A-Hole.

Last edited:
Took a friend shooting and he was over the moon and wanted to keep a shell as a souvenir. I felt bad and explained that he couldn't be caught with one.

I would still like to give him next time I see him.

I read somewhere on here about someone making a piece of art out of shells despite non being licensed and something had to be done to the shell.

Can anyone explain what must be done?

Drill a hole in the side of the casing and it will be fine for your friend.

That said, I have to reiterate the stupidity of MA firearms laws. This being one of the worst. When I bring newbies to the range, I warn them several times NOT to try and bring home a souvenir. I even have them check the souls of their shoes to be sure nothing is stuck in the treads.

Really? I thought that was clarified years ago. In order for a thing to be a FIREarm, FIRE must be employed in some way to propel a projectile. As you know, airguns of all shapes, sizes, and bore types are pretty freely bought and sold all over the place, no paperwork required.

Right this is true but by definition as follows from MGL 121''Rifle'', a weapon having a rifled bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 16 inches and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger
So if the police or DA or what have you wanted to hang you up they could by definition. I can't find anything in the law that excempts air rifles. It just has to have a rifled barrel and discharge a shot. Now federal law clearly states discharge by explosion.
I also can't find anything that defines at what point a cartridge case is no longer ammunition ?
Some places won't take spent brass. Guy who takes our scrap metal will only take deprimed brass and cases must be hammered flat....? It's all fun......ugghh. silly b.s.. the way they write these laws they make darn sure you can be a criminal if they use it right against you no matter how lawful you try to be.

Here is the only air rifle or so called BB gun MGL reference I could find.
Section 12B. No minor under the age of eighteen shall have an air rifle or so-called BB gun in his possession while in any place to which the public has a right of access unless he is accompanied by an adult or unless he is the holder of a sporting or hunting license and has on his person a permit from the chief of police of the town in which he resides granting him the right of such possession. No person shall discharge a BB shot, pellet or other object from an air rifle or so-called BB gun into, from or across any street, alley, public way or railroad or railway right of way, and no minor under the age of eighteen shall discharge a BB shot, pellet or other object from an air rifle or BB gun unless he is accompanied by an adult or is the holder of a sporting or hunting license. Whoever violates this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars, and the air rifle or BB gun or other weapon shall be confiscated. Upon a conviction of a violation of this section the air rifle or BB gun or other weapon shall, by the written authority of the court, be forwarded to the colonel of the state police, who may dispose of said article in the same manner as prescribed in section ten.

Notice how they don't provide a definition of what a "air rifle or BB gun " is.
They actually get away with a law that uses "so called bb gun"
Could we use this as defense if we or the manufactures started calling everything BB guns.
It's really ****ed up.... I remember buying 22lr at the hardware store ....then at one point you couldn't buy BBs with out FID.
Now it gets real fun when you want to play with black powder rifles or pistols in this state...

I'm not very good at finding excemptions for the ammo laws?
I can't find it WRT possessing black powder or substitutes or the primers and sabot/ball I know most places won't sell you 209 primers or black powder with out having a FID here in mass. I know one shop that will sell you percussion caps though.

Want to have some fun.
If you put a pellet gun upper on your AR 15 lower what is it now?

Even still if you shoot your pellet gun in your yard how far away from buildings and roads do you need to be.... under section 12 so called air guns or BB guns are not to be discharged across roadways...that's it? Town bylaw might differ?

Last edited:
This is why when well-meaning folk say "If you can't do the Time, don't do the Crime", I go nutz.

They don't realize they have, very likely, committed ten crimes before they even Breakfast and Crap.

Now they drive to work - uh oh - 32 MPH in a 20 MPH Zone...

Another crime !

tell him not to do something illegal and stupid while he has it on him and he should be fine. No DA on the planet is going to prosecute a case where the sole offense is possessing a spent shell casing. If you're really worried, drill a hole in it.

Approx 3 years ago, a person in Framingham was arrested on the sole charge of unlicensed possession of ammo, for a fired shotshell.

There may have been other crap, but that's what they got him on.

"Ammunition Component", eh ?

I'm going to design an ASSAULT RIFLE that uses i-Phones as the Projectile Bullet.

Or a Key. Or a Penny.

Wow, I didn't know this. So here's a question. I don't reload, but I thought I might one day, so I've been saving some of my brass. I realize it's just the fire code on this one, but am I supposed to keep used brass in a locked case?

Casing are illegal too? I went to the range a few weeks ago. That week i did laundry and heard something rattling around and it happened to be a 9mm casing. I ended up keeping.

I love massachusetts...

Yes, this should be nothing new to anyone who has taken a course for their LTC, unless their instructor sucked balls.

this kind of stuff seems like "low hanging fruit" for GOAL to lobby to fix. Just clarify the definitions of this stuff.. maybe I'm a bit naive with this, but it seems like a good Sen/Rep with the GOAL backing could go a long way with clarifying these things. And I would hope (I know.. I know) that an anti legislator would at least be open to further define the wording to not make this crap so ambiguous that threads like this even have to exist.

Drill a hole through both sides, put a metal keychain ring through it. now it's a key chain, it can't be reloaded, and is fully inoperable.

No matter how many words a bunch of lawyers throw at it, it's absurdity still remains clear, and ANY cop or statist lawyer who would initiate ANY action against someone for possession of ANY empty shell casing is unfit to be wearing a badge/holding office and collecting a paycheck.

DAs typically fit your description and some cops do to. It's Russian Roulette to play against them.

this kind of stuff seems like "low hanging fruit" for GOAL to lobby to fix. Just clarify the definitions of this stuff.. maybe I'm a bit naive with this, but it seems like a good Sen/Rep with the GOAL backing could go a long way with clarifying these things. And I would hope (I know.. I know) that an anti legislator would at least be open to further define the wording to not make this crap so ambiguous that threads like this even have to exist.

Although I agree with you, I was told a year ago by a high ranking legislator, again by both Jim Wallace and Rep. Vieira last week (the hearing that Vieira ran) as well that the legislature has no stomach for passing any gun bills - pro or con! So even small technical fixes are off the table in reality.

Drill a hole through both sides, put a metal keychain ring through it. now it's a key chain, it can't be reloaded, and is fully inoperable.

You obviously didn't read the Mass Bar article above.

You and I may wish this to be true, but you could still be convicted!

My wife has a pair of .40 cal earrings that I bought her for Christmas a few years back. She wears them regularly. One of these days if she pisses me off, I may have to turn her in. :D

DAs typically fit your description and some cops do to. It's Russian Roulette to play against them.
If the person is otherwise innocent, but for a shell casing, the most likely outcome is for the DA to offer a CWOF, possibly with payment of court costs. Unlike a nolle prosse, this counts as a "win" towards the DA's record which as we all know is more important that justice.

Of course, the subject's attorney will advise how it is a felony, so you should not go in without representation - will that $5000 retainer be check or credit card?
You obviously didn't read the Mass Bar article above.
And, in typical MA fashion, the details remain ambiguous:

Although we hold that G.L. c. 269, § 10(h), validly criminalizes unlicensed possession of any individual component of a cartridge, including shell casings, we note that we do not reach the question whether, or to what extent, the statute applies to unlicensed possession of shell casings for innocent purposes, such as for souvenirs or for resale as scrap metal.[SUP]10[/SUP]

Last edited:
In the late '90s, an under-aged SOMEBODY went shooting while down in Florida. SOMEBODY took a spent casing as a souvenir. SOMEBODY put the souvenir in their luggage and flew back to Massachusetts. SOMEBODY still has that casing to this day, as a licensed gun owner.

Yes, it's ridiculous but this is mAss and it is a felony so if they want to charge someone they can.

That's ridiculous. A spent casing is ammunition like a spring pin is a gun. Surely if a kid finds some brass out in the woods and brings it home, this doesn't make him a felon?

- - - Updated - - -

Except for illegals. They're legal. [wink][smile]

EVERYTHING is ILLEGAL in MA!

/Thread

I read somewhere on here about someone making a piece of art out of shells despite non being licensed and something had to be done to the shell.

I remember that article. It was about some DB in western MA making a rug out of shell casings as a sort of "protest" piece. The article stated something about the cases being drilled which made it "OK" for him to have them even though said DB didn't have an LTC. [rolleyes]

Of course the author simply made that up out of thin air. [hmmm]

Back
Top Bottom