• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What to do to shell casing to let non-LTC friend take it home?

jho

Took a friend shooting and he was over the moon and wanted to keep a shell as a souvenir. I felt bad and explained that he couldn't be caught with one.

I would still like to give him next time I see him.

I read somewhere on here about someone making a piece of art out of shells despite non being licensed and something had to be done to the shell.

Can anyone explain what must be done?

I'm sorry I can't answer your question better, but I'd try to capitalize on the moment to show the absurdity of MA firearms laws and a great reason why your friend should get his LTC!

Even as "art" they can still bust balls for possession of ammo with out a license here in MA.

There was a kid arrested in fitchburg I believe for having a belt made of shell casings holding his pants up.
Just take an officer in a bad mood to make it a situation.

Give the casing to your pal.

Tell pal to visit local "occicihal"

Put casing on table.

Tell "offiiacil" to pound until 17 months of sundays

tell him not to do something illegal and stupid while he has it on him and he should be fine. No DA on the planet is going to prosecute a case where the sole offense is possessing a spent shell casing. If you're really worried, drill a hole in it.

I'm not sure but maybe drilling a hole through the sides of the case near the base so it could no longer be reloaded might make it okay in this state but then again...

I'm not sure but maybe drilling a hole through the sides of the case near the base so it could no longer be reloaded might make it okay in this state but then again...

If a spent 22 rimfire case that can't be reloaded still qualifies... I wouldn't want to test it.

Actually, tell the DA that the shell casing is a transgender/fluid/justice award. That should repel any senior LEO in MA

tell him not to do something illegal and stupid while he has it on him and he should be fine. No DA on the planet is going to prosecute a case where the sole offense is possessing a spent shell casing. If you're really worried, drill a hole in it.

Drilling a hole in it does nothing to the "legal" issue.
DA may not prosecute but a empty case is enough for a " LEO" to make problems for you.
Also by MA definition a pellet gun with a rifled barrel is a firearm.
These laws are enough to cost you some time and money.

Related, how do you dispose of brass in MA? Say you don't reload and find a spent shell in your shirt from the range? Or you reload and have some bad brass? If there's all these laws around possession of ammunition components, how do you dispose of the brass?

Really? I thought that was clarified years ago. In order for a thing to be a FIREarm, FIRE must be employed in some way to propel a projectile. As you know, airguns of all shapes, sizes, and bore types are pretty freely bought and sold all over the place, no paperwork required.

what about the zillions of "bullet" key chains out there with an eye hook screwed into the primer pocket...

Thanks for the input guys. After I explained the law. I told him to think about it next time he hits the voting booth.

I have a brass punch. It's made from the same material as shell casings. Maybe there is a little bit of recycled's shell casing in it. I've also seen people make bullets out of wheel weights. My car has wheel weights. Thank God I have an LTC.*Sarcasm*

I hate communist states

My son wore a 5.56 bullet on a key chain, a teacher took his keys, as they kept falling out of his jeans. After class, the teacher stated " isn't this a bullet? "
No, he replied, it's a bears tooth !

Oh, ok, said the teacher

What the hell? My wife found a spent casing that found its way into my shirt pocket in the dryer. I guess we should turn ourselves in?

I have made pens from spent casings before. Guess the guys I gave them to are going to prison, too?

In mAss any component of ammunition is considered ammunition. It's as absurd as saying a steering wheel is a car.
Just tell the authorities that the shell self identifies as an objet d'art.

After I explained the law.
You explained a gun law in Mass? I call shenanigans
bMm.jpg

Related, how do you dispose of brass in MA? Say you don't reload and find a spent shell in your shirt from the range? Or you reload and have some bad brass? If there's all these laws around possession of ammunition components, how do you dispose of the brass?

If you are a drama queen, organise a group pants wetting. Otherwise, throw it in the trash and get on with your life.

I save my unwanted brass and put it in the brass bucket at my club for recycling.

Jack

no if your friend gets pulled over 2 years in jail for a single case.
Can you point to a single incident where someone got jail/prison time for possession of an empty case with no other concurrent offenses?

Just one case is all I am looking for.

A nerf gun becomes a firearm if on school property.

Last edited:
In mAss any component of ammunition is considered ammunition. It's as absurd as saying a steering wheel is a car.
Just tell the authorities that the shell self identifies as an objet d'art.

That's ridiculous. A spent casing is ammunition like a spring pin is a gun. Surely if a kid finds some brass out in the woods and brings it home, this doesn't make him a felon?

Went to Trader Joe's after a range trip. A case fell out of my jacket. Had momentary thoughts about leaving it there and seeing the ensuing code red lock down. But then quickly picked it up. Didn't want any issues derailing my purchase of Mediterranean hummus, organic broccoli slaw, and almond milk.

Showed my nephew around the club yesterday and he started checking out the brass on the ground. I quickly told him the he best not accidentally let any find their way into his pockets lest he find himself in trouble. He had the "WTF" look and asked why. I told him it was because his parents vote for the D.

Back
Top Bottom