What to Buy? Ruger SR9c vs. Glock 26 vs. Glock 30

I am currently looking into purchasing my first firearm for concealed carry. I am just looking for some honest & educated opinions on the above listed firearms. Wondering which one the NES community thinks is best. I understand two are 9mm and one is a .45 ACP, but they are all pretty close in size and concealability. Would love to hear from owners of said guns and what everyone thinks about buying a brand new Ruger or going with a used but proven Glock design. Thanks in advance for your help.

IMO a G30 isn't really the samew size as G26. It's a lot fatter. But if you have long fingers without too big of a grip index you should be fine.

IMO, the glock os superior to the ruger. Try them all!

Go to a rental range and try them out. You'll get a s***load of opinions on this and a lot of people will start adding guns that weren't in your original 3 options. It's going to depend on what fits your hand, what you like to shoot, and how well you shoot it.

The rental ranges that come to mind are Manchester Firing Line in NH and American Firearms School in North Attleboro. You might want to call ahead to see if they have what you're interested in.

IMO a G30 isn't really the samew size as G26. It's a lot fatter. But if you have long fingers without too big of a grip index you should be fine.

IMO, the glock os superior to the ruger. Try them all!

This.

-Mike

I have been to American Firearms school and that is where i shot the Ruger SR9 and a Glock. i should go back and shoot both the Glock 26 and Glock 30. But i do know Four Seasons has a deal on the SR9c for $400. Which is most likely cheaper than I could get a fair condition G26 or G30 used. I really like the idea of buying a brand new firearm, but the Glock is such a well known trusted design it makes it hard not to at least consider them as an option.

I know the G30 is a little bigger in all dimensions due to the larger cartridge, but from what i have read on here and watched on youtube it is still a very concealable pistol that packs that extra punch some people swear by.

FWIW, I carry a Glock 22 (full size .40). With a halfway decent holster and good clothing selection, even that disappears.

Don't get hung up on NEEDING a tiny little gun for CC. I would suggest looking into the Glock 19 as well. Either way, I'd go with a Glock. Even if you do get one of the smaller ones, they all take the big magazines. Carry with the flush fit and keep a spare full-size with you.

I know the G30 is a little bigger in all dimensions due to the larger cartridge, but from what i have read on here and watched on youtube it is still a very concealable pistol that packs that extra punch some people swear by.

I carry both and don't feel undergunned with either. The G26 is slightly easier to conceal, and weighs slightly less, that's the biggest advantage. The G30 is kind of a brick.

If you're looking at the 30, you might as well look at the G19, too, because it's a tiny bit bigger than the 30 but it is actually significantly thinner and you get 15 + 1 rounds of 9mm on deck. I've also carried the G19 on and off.

-Mike

One of the biggest mistakes in buying a first firearm, along with other items, is to buy "cheap". Don't look at the price if you don't have to. Buy what works for you.

BTW, I also recommend the Glock. Once you go to the "dark side", even a Han Solo blaster won't bring you back!

I have been to American Firearms school and that is where i shot the Ruger SR9 and a Glock. i should go back and shoot both the Glock 26 and Glock 30. But i do know Four Seasons has a deal on the SR9c for $400. Which is most likely cheaper than I could get a fair condition G26 or G30 used. I really like the idea of buying a brand new firearm, but the Glock is such a well known trusted design it makes it hard not to at least consider them as an option.

The 'fever' will catch on pretty quickly after your first firearm. Don't fall in the buy cheap now and upgrade later as that will expel more money. Go and get the better stuff now to avoid the upgrade process.

Would you classify the Ruger as a "cheap" gun? All the reviews I have seen on it are overly positive and see it as a great value.

Would you classify the Ruger as a "cheap" gun? All the reviews I have seen on it are overly positive and see it as a great value.

I don't think that anyone is accusing the Ruger of being a "cheap" gun. You used the term first (post #5), probably in the sense that you would pay less for it than a Glock. Most of us are saying that you should not buy a gun because it costs less. The Glocks have been around longer than this model Ruger and have a good track record.

But, if the Ruger fit you better and you can shoot it well, then that would make sense to buy the Ruger.

I carry both and don't feel undergunned with either. The G26 is slightly easier to conceal, and weighs slightly less, that's the biggest advantage. The G30 is kind of a brick.
If you're looking at the 30, you might as well look at the G19, too, because it's a tiny bit bigger than the 30 but it is actually significantly thinner and you get 15 + 1 rounds of 9mm on deck. I've also carried the G19 on and off.

-Mike
This ^^^ , cut a 2x4 at 5" and carry it IWB , like dgrant said you might as well look into the 19 if the 30 interest you ,or the 36 if the .45rd is your thing , I personally would rather have the extra rds. I had a 26 and chose a 19 over it , it just feels better in my hand.

drgrant is always spot on with this stuff, and by the way FS has G19's for a great deal right now 499. Also not that you would ever sell it but the glock probably has better resale.

If you are considering these, you should also not rule out:
P95
P345
LC9

Rugers will not let you down. Some think they are too bulky. So it is your choice, bulky or blocky. Try them all and let us know what you decided.

The only thing cheap about the SR9c is the price. Honestly, I think you will be hard pressed to find a better quality gun in that price range. I researched a ton before deciding to buy one for myself. I have put several boxes of ammo through it so far without a single ftf, stovepipe, or any other hickups, and most of the rounds were cheap target stuff. Even if I had a choice between a glock and this for the same price, I would still pick the Ruger, but that is personal preference. I know the Glocks are great, reliable weapons, but for me, the thickness, as well as the heavy block shape of the slide are not appealing to me. I also think the shape of the Ruger lends itself to easier concealment also. It's all personal preferences, though.[wink]

I have a G26, also had a M&P40c, not a big fan of compacts if I can have something bigger. I want to be able to get my hand around the grip using 4 fingers, and that isn't happening for me without mag extenders, Pierce +0 floor plates, or in the case of the Glock using the mag out of a higher capacity Glock ( no problem with grip using a G18 mag in the G26 lol) Same with J frames, both of mine have oversized grips on them, my first Model 36 (1980 buy) had a Tyler filler on it for the same reason

There is no reason you can't carry a full sized Glock or the mid sized one with the right holster, even in the warmest weather and light weight clothing.

Did you see a shop up on the Northshore was blowing out M&P's for under 400 bucks? That is a deal.

I am partial towards Glocks for their simplicity and reliability, but as you are in MA unless you can get what you want for a reasonable price, look at something else. A gun you can buy brand new in a free state for under 500 bucks is not something you should be paying a premium for because you are in MA.

i shot an SR9c this weekend, and it was really nice. thin too. had a gritty trigger, but im sure that could be fixed easily.

having .45 would be my choice though.

i shot an SR9c this weekend, and it was really nice. thin too. had a gritty trigger, but im sure that could be fixed easily.

having .45 would be my choice though.

Funny you say it has a gritty trigger, because the trigger on the compact version was a big selling point for me as it was worlds above the feel of the M&P compacts that I was considering. Maybe it was the particular gun you were using? maybe it had some junk in the trigger, or something? Mine is not only super smooth, but it is light as well.

A personal defense tool should be 100% reliable. It becomes especially important if you can't afford to buy a bunch of guns. I know it happens with all guns eventually but, I have never seen a Glock malfunction that wasn't operator error.

The G30 is a good choice if you want .45. The G19 would be my choice if you want 9mm.

I own a Glock 26 and love it. I probably put 500 rounds through it before I cleaned it for the 1st time without a single jam.

Get what works best in your hands. Go out and shoot different pistols (my hands hate M&P grip but love the Glock grip) you will see what works for you. I was looking at the G26 for a while but just stumbled across a Keltec P11. Very similar grip but is smaller and lighter overall.

I love my glock 26 and love my glock 30. Honestly the glock 30 with a 9 round mag is almsot the same size as the 26. Not width wise but hight and that is what shows the most when carrying. Im 5'9'' 165 and I carry a g30 without any issue despite what people say about its thickness. Getting a good IWB holster is key.I would recommend a crossbreed or comp-tac minitor they are my personal favorits. The g30 has the felt recoil of a glock 26 also despite its thicker handle is easy to grip. They both hold about the same amount of rounds (9-10-10+)so why wouldn't you go with a 9mm when you can carry a 45?
I also carry my p3at when I dress with less layers or in warmer weather. I mainly carry the glocks in colder weather that allows for more layers or when I actually anticipate using a gun.

Good advice Sean! JT- I have all 3 and each have their pros and cons. You have to try them out in YOUR hand, because the G30, even the SF model that I have, IS a lot fatter than the 26 or the SR9c. Being a 10+1 in .45, it's also a lot heavier to carry all day IMO. I find I reach for the G27 more often than the other 3, but Sean's correct; this is how you get away from the original 3 you're looking at!

Good luck and be safe,

Dave

Go to a rental range and try them out. You'll get a s***load of opinions on this and a lot of people will start adding guns that weren't in your original 3 options. It's going to depend on what fits your hand, what you like to shoot, and how well you shoot it.

The rental ranges that come to mind are Manchester Firing Line in NH and American Firearms School in North Attleboro. You might want to call ahead to see if they have what you're interested in.

13009.jpg

Ruger P-Series P95 Centerfire Pistol

Back
Top Bottom